1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by StrutnBPS, Jan 6, 2008.

1. StrutnBPS

StrutnBPS Guest

I am becoming more interested in buying my first mini truck. I've been doing a lot of reading on the internet over the past week. There is so much information. I really don't know anything about these trucks other than what I've recently read. I was hopeing that some of you could help me out???

I am looking for a truck for hunting. Its going to be in the woods and in the mud. Carrying treestands, game, and so on.

So, what name brand would you suggest? What truck is best for mud? What trucks do i need to stay away from?

I guess what I am looking for is someone to give me a quick five minute overview of what truck they think would be best for what I want to use it for?

I am reading through threads and learning alot. So bare with me.

2. buzzz

buzzz New Member

STRUTNBPS

I am fairley new to minitrucks but have had a diahatsu climber 1991 for about two months.I hunt often and have found theses trucks are great. I would advise diff lock which really helps.

3. michael a

michael a Member

Strut, I have a 95 Mitsubishi Minicab that i am hunting out of this year and it is just what i need here in Ms. I can go where any else can go and some places they cant unless they have a 4 wheeler and i wouldn't trade mine for a brand new 4 wheeler.

4. buzzz

buzzz New Member

I just looked at my past replys and i think i should learn to operate this comp. before i work on my truck!

5. StrutnBPS

StrutnBPS Guest

Thanks for your replies. Like I said, I am trying to educate myself as much as possible, but you can't beat hearing from people that have first hand knowledge.

I know that these trucks aren't like regular 4-wheelers. They don't go as fast and can't go through everything that a reg. 4-wheeler can. I'm looking for first hard knowledge of what trucks are better suited for what I would be using it for. Like on one website I seen where it stated that Honda usually rode smoother. Stuff like that is what i am looking for.

6. michael a

michael a Member

Sorry the only one i have been in is the mitsubishi maybe one of the dealers could help you with the other makes.

7. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the trucks. However some things you may want to think about. Yes Honda and Daihatsu have the softest ride, but I have seen many complaints about suspension bottoming out off road. Honda and Subaru seem to be harder to lift (I don't know from experience but do see them often at stock heights). Mitsus are easier to get parts for (I heard directly from Mitsu dealer??). Suzuki seems to be the most popular, but I think that is because the axle lock was mistaken for front posi-trac. BTW-These trucks are quite fast, but In the woods and on the trails you won't be WOT like you would on an ATV. I second the notion of a rear diff lock. 99 and newer have fuel injection. These are just my opinions.

Greg

8. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

As an exporter, we send out more Suzukis than any others. Daihatsu is a second choice and Mitsubishi ia a third.

It seems that hunters prefer the engine mounts of the Suzuki, Daihatsu and Mitsubishi. These three makes are also easier to have lift kits installed (so I'm told). I have one client who has bought every make, but seems to sell more Suzukis, Mitsubishi and Daihatsus for hunting. Subaru and Hondas are popular for ranches.

First-hand experience, I've driven Subarus and Daihatsu. I like Subaru for road-driving.

You may want a 5-speed when hunting. But, I'd let our hunter friends comment on that one.

9. jpfanne

jpfanne Member

I have all of the makes on my lot, I sold the only Suzuki that I got on this container and I have had more people call requesting Suzuki's than any other. I think the Daihatsu, Mits, and Suzuki's are all very comparable. Just had a bad CV boot experience with a Honda. Had to replace 6 out of the 8. Not an easy animal to work on. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jeff

10. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

If you go to our website it has a lot of information about the trucks on it. I have a lot of hunters around me and I personally do my fare share of hunting. I prefer the Subaru to the others. The Subaru has a rear engine mount and this helps distribute the weight better. Most people who work on these trucks can install the lift kit; which can be difficult. I also recommend getting some good tires installed. I have mud lights on mine it rides rough but never gets stuck. I also have a lot of hunters suggest making sure that you have H/L range. Diff-lock doesn't make a huge difference but helps. On a side note getting a front and rear hitch is very useful. I also fish and can haul my boat with the truck. I also have a wench on the front to use for....wenching stuff. You would be surprised what all you will do with it. Visist the website below (my sig) or give us a call and we can answer any questions that you might have.

11. StrutnBPS

StrutnBPS Guest

Again, thank you guys. This is excatly the first hand knowledge I am looking for. I've also seen that Suzuki seems to be the favorite. They also seem to have a higher resale value.

I was also wondering about the rear mounted engine in the Subaru's for the same reason. Weight. I would imagine that the rear of these trucks are very light.

Again thanks and keep the replies coming. I am reading more and more everyday.