1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me out guys, wheels & tires.

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by crashxx, Sep 22, 2008.

1. crashxx

crashxx Member

I know I've seen posts on wheels & tires several times before, but I need some help. My wife got a 99' Dihatsu deck van a few months ago. Wanted to put a 2" lift on it and some nice 14" wheels & some of the Toyo Open Country, I thought I saw where they came in a 23" height, tires since she mainly drives it around the street. Ordered a lift, but it won't work because the front A-arms are short and the long half shaft hits the lower pivot point only about 1" into dropping the strut. I think now I'm stuck with the factory ride height. My question is, how tall a tire can I go with & are there any street friendly tires that will mount on a nice 12" ATV wheel like the ITP's or SG's that will fit? Thanks for the help/advice!

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I can't help with all your questions but I have seen others that have problems with the rear doors interfering with the wheels/tires when the wheel offset is incorrect.

-Greg

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i've got a 23.5" tire on my 99. it's a 185/65 14 on a mazda miata rim. bolted right on. i haven't tried the 2" lift kit, but i coldn't get a 3" on my truck at all, it was binding the same way. so i've just left it where it is until i order the springs for the front that should raise it about 1.5" or so.

this might be helpful http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=2752&highlight=3+lift

4. crashxx

crashxx Member

I've found some 185/65 14 tires I like, my next question is wheel size. I figure 6" width, but what off set are you running?

5. Mighty Milt

i went on craigslist and looked around for used rims and tires using a cross reference i found on here, i think it was titled wheel application. someone listed all the stock wheels from other makes that have the right bolt pattern. i was at the tire store and a guy working there took the rims off his 98? civic and bolted them on my truck it worked well. the 23.5" tires overdrive it a bit more than i care for i would rather have something smaller but for $200 i couldn't complain. i'm pretty sure they are 6" rims but i don't know the offset.

6. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Milt, you stated that you have Civic wheels, I thought you had Miata wheels.

7. Mighty Milt

no, i stated a guy working at the tire shop had civic wheels. he bolted them on my truck to check tire size, then i bought miata wheels that were the same size and bolt pattern. ;)

8. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

The standard Daihatsu lift made for the trucks will not fit the 1999 Deck Van. The new style deck is wheel forward and the trucks are not. We didn't make a lift for them yet but we have enough of the new style deck vans in stock that we will make a lift for it. We have a 2001 deck ariving on a container with an ETA next week. I will make a lift for it.

9. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

if you are going to drive this on the street, make sure these atv wheels you are looking at are DOT aproved. i was looking at atv's too, and my son is the service manager at a honda atv shop so i could get them cheap but he checked the wheels out and the one's i wanted itp model 112 where not dot aproved. plus make sure your bolt pattern is the same as the atv wheel. before i got my truck i was told that a mitsu had a 115mm bolt pattern but it is 114.3. running atv wheels for off-road only is great, but for driving the street you should get automotive wheels. here are pic's of mine and where only $89.00 each.
    wyatt

Attached Files:

• 20.JPG
      20.JPG
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
    • 21.JPG
      21.JPG
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
  10. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i forgot to say...these wheels are 14x6" with offset of +35
    wyatt

11. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

one more thing...no lift needed
    wyatt

12. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

13. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

where did you get those wheels and what tires are you gonna run?

14. crashxx

crashxx Member

Well, I bought some wheels & tires.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...K:MEWNX:IT&item=130257278236#ebayphotohosting

After Milt said he used mazda mita wheels, I went on ebay and found these. They're 17X7 with an offset of +40. The tires are 205/40R17. By my calculations, they will fit, I hope. If not there's always ebay again. I do have one question though, what is the thread pitch of the lugs? I need a set of black nuts. I know the tire is a very low profile but this deck van is ONLY driven on the street. My wife won't let me take it to the river. She thinks that's what the 4 wheelers & side by side are for. I'll post pics if I get it to work. Any info on the thread pitch is appreciated. Thanks.

15. crashxx

crashxx Member

16. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i got the wheels from Kal tire here in canada and they are by core racing and called evo 7, the tire i got from car modifier on line 165/60-14 by marangoni called trio. its a summer tire. hope this helps.

wyatt

17. crashxx

crashxx Member

How do you post pictures? I've got my wheels & tires on and have a picture to share.

18. Mighty Milt

i always use photobucket. you can upload pretty good sized pix and then you just copy the IMG tag and paste it in your post and best of all.. IT'S FREE! www.photbucket.com

19. crashxx

crashxx Member

[​IMG]

Here they are 17" wheels w/ 205/40 17 Kumho's

20. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

the way i put pictures into a reply is click on quote and them scroll down to manage attachments and click there then browes for your pic's then click upload. hope this helps...really want to see those wheels on your truck:D
    wyatt

21. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

sweet :D

did you have to use spacers?

22. crashxx

crashxx Member

No spacers. It is very, very close, but works. It rubs a little on the plastic mud flaps. I have plans to trim them. Using the info Milt gave me I went with the 205/40 which I think come out to 23.5" tall. Seems to ride about the same but corners lots better.

23. Mighty Milt

overall size works out to be almost the same as a 185/65/14 not good for off road, but on the pavement it will corner like it's on rails!! my old XB scion only had 105hp but with 185 35 18's it sure was fun to drive!!

24. crashxx

crashxx Member

Yea, the only time she will use 4X4 is if we get a little snow or if we drive out to my buddys pond to fish. Other than that its on road only. Sure would like to find the wire to make my tach work. I've also got 4 6.75 w/ componet tweeters and two shallow mount tens partialy installed. Should be a fun ride when done. What color do you guys think we should paint it? Right now we're considering black.

25. Mighty Milt

this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth... black is a bad color. it will show every flaw in the bodywork and every scratch that may happen. i also don't like to see one color outside a car and a different inside. it just looks half done to me. when i was first shopping for a truck and pretty well resigned to accepting a white vehicle (i hate white vehicles) i was going to paint it two-tone. like maybe the lower half red or blue? and leave the top half white. that way the white inside would match. again just my opinion.

26. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i am with milt on the black...it looks really good if you never drive it ;) the truck looks pretty good now with the black wheels but if it was me i would just add a few black acsents to the body high gloss like the wheels. i have had a few white trucks and my mitsu is white and for me white is a really good base to dress up from :D but it your truck so you can paint it anything you want...but make sure to post pictures of the transformation, that stuff is always fun to see :D
    wyatt