1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Front Differential Issues

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by rst277, Jul 11, 2016.

1. rst277

rst277 Member

I have a 1997 Hijet S110P and I've been having some front driveline noise for awile. I checked the wheel bearings and eventually replaced them and no difference. So I figured i would wait for "something" to happen and today it did. I heard that "week, week, week" metal on metal sound and figured a bearing inthe front diff (passenger side) finally gave up the ghost. Here are some pictures of the bearing-does anything look like it is missing? There was a few scratches but the bearing spins freely and "looks" ok. I don't want to take the entire diff apart for nothing. Thanks, Ralph in Winnipeg[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ttc

ttc Active Member

cant see pics for some reason

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Do some looking around at other things that rotate. Sometime back my little rig developed a terrible noise that I was sure had to be a bad bearing to do with the driveline somewhere. Got it up in the air and could find no noises while turning driveline & wheels by hand. Just laying there underneath and trying to think of what to check next and just happened to bump the left front wheel causing it to rotate a bit and discovered the noise. A small metallic rock had somehow lodged between the disk brake rotor and the dust shield. Gave the shield a slight twist and the rock fell out.

As ttc says "can't see the pics"

Fred

4. rst277

rst277 Member

Ok, I determined that my transfer case is not disengaging and the front drive shaft is turning all the time. I used my vacuum gauge tool to disengage it but now I can't go into 4x4 without having to go back in and disengage manually. At least I know what it is, now to figure out if it is the switch or the vacuum that is not working.

5. ttc

ttc Active Member

Check the vsv that are under the box by the air box

6. ttc

ttc Active Member

Look at the lines for leaks

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

Also check that the vsv are functioning switching vacuum from one line to the other

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

I have PDF of the vacuum system if you need it

9. rst277

rst277 Member

OK ttc, thanks for the advice/offer. I'm going to have to do some research into how to check the vsv. The vacuum lines are in the right place as I haven't moved any. I'll get motivated and look it over and see if there are obvious cracked lines. Thanks, Ralph in Winnipeg

10. Mudjunkie

Mudjunkie New Member

If your truck is anything like my s83p the front driveshaft should turn all the time.

11. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

A bit of advice from an Old Old Mechanic - You state "The vacuum lines are in the right place as I haven't moved any", Check a vacuum diagram as you don't know what someone did before you got the vehicle and you are only assuming the lines are correct.

Fred