1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help decode vin plz

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by MiniMadMan, Jun 14, 2017.

1. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Subaru Sambar Farming/JA
    Build Date 1991/07
    Color Code 054 (Polar White)
    Applied Model: KS4A3AN
    Engine Type: EN07C
    Transmission: 5MT Selectable 4WD
    Roof: Normal

That said, there is only one head gasket version for all 5th gen (1990-1998) and the early 6th gen (1999-2001), and that would be 11044KA193. Partsouq is the cheapest place I have found for OEM headgaskets, but they are pretty hit-or-miss when it comes to availability.

2. DeathValleyFarmer

DeathValleyFarmer New Member

two birds with one stone! thanks for the info and the head gasket info too! I appreciate the help.

Just as a follow up for anyone reading this after the fact... the head gasket for the 5th gen is SKU: 11044KA202 (according to a parts website) the other one posted is for the 98-03.
    Regardless, thanks again for the info and pushing me in the right direction!

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  3. 406Sambar

406Sambar New Member

@rkrenicki
    Would you be so kind to decode this VIN?

KS4293111

thanks in advance

4. Drain

Drain Supporting Moderator Supporting Moderator Supporting Member

5. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Sorry about the delay, I was traveling there for a bit.

Subaru Sambar Base/Special
    Build Date 1996/07
    Applied Model: KS4E3SN

6. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Subaru Sambar SDX
    Build Date 1992/03
    Applied Model: KS4B32N

Drain likes this.
  7. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

11044KA202 was later superseded by 11044KA193. Most parts websites use a parts catalog dataset from 2006 which is woefully out of date. According to the 2021 parts catalog, 11044KA193 is the most up-to-date part for the 1990-2001 models.

Monotaro (who also uses an up-to-date catalog) shows the substitution here: https://www.monotaro.com/p/7486/5507/?t.q=11044KA202

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 10.07.03 AM.png

11044KA202 has been discontinued for quite some time. If anyone is still selling it, it is very old stock at this point. Given the date range of "98-03" that you quoted, I am assuming you got this information from Yokohama. I would take anything posted on their website with a huge grain of salt, just like the junk service manuals that they made and their overall insanely high prices.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
  8. reggie98

reggie98 Member

On the VIN plate, what do the various option codes mean? Mine is 12C, but I've seen various other combinations on sale/auction Sambars.
    Is the high roof uncommon in Japan?

9. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

They are the dealer ordering codes, and they changed from year to year, so not particularly useful.

The more useful code is the applied model code, the 7 character string under/near the VIN. I wrote up a breakdown of that code as another sheet on the parts spreadsheet. A direct link is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...EAaKd6tTgOhHdlgUGOQIc_ojwo/edit#gid=954714826

As for high roofs, they are pretty common on the vans, and somewhat uncommon on the trucks.

10. 406Sambar

406Sambar New Member

@rkrenicki I need your expertise with one more VIN please and thank you.

KS4202629

11. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Subaru Sambar Base
    Build Date 1994/06
    Applied Model: KS4D31N

12. district_AERO

district_AERO New Member

Related, but unrelated: how reliable are the online Sambar VIN decoders and what auction houses report?

While browsing the auctions today, I found two discrepancies and don't know what to think:

1. KS4-237476 decodes to model code KS4D31N where the N means it's a non-supercharged 5spd, but the auction has it listed as supercharged.

2. KS4-322729 decodes to model code KS4F32J where the J means it's a supercharged 5-spd, but the auction doesn't call it out as such.

Both have repainted beds so no supercharger sticker to look for there. Do we trust the VIN decoder or the auction condition report?!

13. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Assuming those VINs are correct, then what you are seeing matches what I see in the Parts software. If there is a picture of the dash, the cluster would say if it were supercharged or not somewhere on it.

14. district_AERO

district_AERO New Member

Thanks for confirming! Unless the supercharger is aftermarket, someone is going to be very disappointed when they purchase the first one to find out that it is not actually supercharged. A bit hard to see, but I don't believe it says SUPER - CHARGER in the instrument cluster like it should:

notsupercharged.JPG

15. Michael Gunn

Michael Gunn New Member

Im also in need of some VIN help.

its on a Subaru Domingo
    Vin on frame shows:
    KJ8-036207

Much appreciated!

16. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

This would be one of the earlier 4th gen Sambar chassis based Domingos, so the software does not give a whole lot of detail. Fair warning: Parts for this model would be extremely hard to come across.

Subaru Domingo
    Build Date 1990/01
    Color Code 96 (no description given)
    Applied Model: KJ8L52D
    Engine Type: EF12A

If you want a Domingo, I would suggest looking at the later FA7 or FA8 models, as those are based on the 5th gen Sambar chassis, and parts would be easier to come across. The transition to the FA chassis was somewhere around 1994.

17. Nate Murai

Nate Murai New Member

Hey, hoping I can also get a decode.... trying to order parts and can't figure out the engine code

Ks4-122907

Attached Files:

18. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Subaru Sambar SDX (SuperDeluxe)
    Build Date 1992/07
    Applied Model: KS4B32N

Engine types are easy: EN07C for carbed, EN07Y for Supercharged, and most vans (not trucks) in the latter part of the generation had EN07F for Fuel Injected.

19. 406Sambar

406Sambar New Member

@rkrenicki
    Got my first van!!
    Would you be so kind to decode this VIN?

KV4086825

Thanks you once again!

20. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Subaru Sambar SDX (SuperDeluxe)
    Build Date 1993/03
    Color Code 220 (Bright Silver Metallic)
    Applied Model: KV4K52J
    Engine Type: EN07Y
    Roof: High

21. Mistery510