1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!! 95 Suzuki Carry 4x4

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Mick, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Mick

Mick New Member

HELLO EVERYONE!!!
    New guy here!!!
    I am in need of help!?!?
    I have inherited a 95 Suzuki Carry 4x4 from my dad. It has been sitting for the better part of 12yrs. Yes there is about a 1/2in of slag in the bottom of the fuel tank, what’s the best way to clean it?
    The truck stopped running 10-12yrs ago (don’t know why). Dad took it to a so called “”mechanic “” here in the sticks of Oklahoma, so far what I have noticed he did was put some kind of fuel pump on it and in doing so he cut several wires and spliced the other pump in, looks like he did a carb rebuild (not sure how well it was done) on the carb it looks like he cut a censer and spliced it to ground...grrr
    Anyway, if anyone has an idea what direction I need to go to get dads “Grouch-innater” running, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Mick, 1st off, welcome aboard. Very nice Avatar(I was in from 1957 thru 67) Semper Fi. Lots of good folks here and lots of info too, but some of the info has to be dug out. Your other post asked about parts - I use megazip almost exclusively as I live in the Philippines and they seem to be the best for my purpose, you might find some other since you live in CONUS.

Best to drop the tank & do a thorough cleanout, then get a stock pump(to ensure proper pressure as these type carbs are pretty pressure sensitive) & get it wired in to operate properly. As it has been sitting for that long, best to go thru the carb to ensure no tiny critters have made a home there and all is clean inside & out. Inspect & change/clean filters as needed. The air intake system should be given a thorough once-over as things have been known to build nests in the passageways & airbox. That should take care of 2 of the basic Air, Fuel & Fire, and you can go on from there.

Fred

3. Mick

Mick New Member

Semper Fi Fred!!! 84-90!!!
    Thanks for the info. I have been trying to find out what is best to use to clean out the tank, there is so serious slug, it’s probably from the E-85 fuel dad used.
    I pulled the seats and bed off to get to everything easier, I pulled the carb, all looks good. The air filter and housing are clean.
    I sprayed WD-40 in the fuel lines and let it set then blew them out with air they are clear. I will have to replace all the flex fuel lines, they have all dry rotted. There are two small plastic canisters over the fuel tank, what are they for?? One was cracked, I fixed that the other is full of this Oklahoma red dirt. The fuel gage sending unit is one solid piece of rust, need a new one along with a new fuel pump. I have a long way to go...
    with y’all’s help I can get the “Grouch-innator” back on the road!!!

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is only red dirt? Could be the charcoal canister clogged with the dirt. May also find a surge tank(usually plastic).

Lay the tank upside down & rap it with a piece of wood or rubber hammer(not hard enough to dent it), this should break loose all the caked gunk from the tank bottom and then it can be removed thru the fuel gauge hole.

Make sure to keep track of the vacuum lines as there are usually a lot of them and can cause a lot of problems if not installed to the proper place.

Check the intake side of the air filter box. Some of the models had a hose from the air box to the frame rail and the intake air was routed thru the frame rail so lest dustier/cleaner air could be picked up from the front of the vehicle and that is where some birds/varmints like to build a home.

Fred

c

Limestone likes this.