1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello to all from Japan!

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by elmarjazz, Sep 10, 2009.

1. elmarjazz

elmarjazz New Member

Hello to all from the land of the Kai Kar - Japan :D Being an English speaking native from the USA I've been looking for a place that had information in English so am glad to find this forum. I live in the Kyoto area, not much snow except in the mountains, flat roads except [again] in the mountains. Lots of stop and go city traffic on narrow small roads, but also toll ways with higher speed (50-70 mph) straight driving.

Here in Japan almost for every family that has a second car, or with even 1 car, they are the practical alternative to a full size car ; with the required government vehicle inspection every 2 years (kai cars are charged less), tax to be paid every year (again the government gives a cost brake), gas prices in the $4++ a gallon range, limited parking space, and very narrow roads, a Kai car makes perfect sense.

In a place like the 'big' USA the Kai car isn't maybe so much needed as something different. Still they are practical and I've wondered why they haven't seen an import wave. Maybe its that being a small car with small engines, traditional needs, habits and desire for more power and speed, and Americans being bigger people in general they are not looked on as 'real' cars.

My wife now has an older Honda 2-door Kai car that was given to her. Great for the 10 minute ride back and forth to work, and can't argue with the price we paid. But its not perfect when the 2 kids are factored in, and the longer trips and load needs up north we make. And so its time for a Subaru Van style Kai car. Been doing a bit of looking and research (funny there is actually not that much older (new cars yes) information even in Japanese), the Subaru seems the way I want to go, and have been on the look out for used car. More to come about the search...

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. The Kyoto area is a beautiful place. :)

3. elmarjazz

elmarjazz New Member

Thanks! Yes, Kyoto is a great place to be, lots to see and do, just wish there wasn't so much traffic !

4. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

welcome aboard!

5. RicePaddy

RicePaddy New Member

Love Kyoto much quieter than the Tokyo area. I am like you from the USA living in Japan. I have found the dealers and parts managers very helpful…so far. This forum is quite helpful, Im glad to have found it.

6. elmarjazz

elmarjazz New Member

Hi Ricepaddy,

Looks like you have a Kei-truck? Had a Suzuki 'Scarry' myself when I first came to Japan.

In my search for a Kei recently we found a Subaru 'Classic' Van. Its really great; easy to drive, holds everything and more, and is just generally good looking and fun. And it compliments our Subaru Lancaster 6 VDC (a Japanese Outback over here for those that don't know), the 'Classic' as the perfect around town car, and the Lancaster a great touring and highway ride.

Hope you are staying warm if you have a Japanese style house:p I always joke I put things in the refrigerator so they don't freeze... Headed North to Amanohashidate for the Holidays next week, hope it snows so I can have some fun with the AWD (VDC) system on the Outback, but a bit worried with the Classic being only 2-wheel drive.

Anyway... all the Best,

7. RicePaddy

RicePaddy New Member

elmarjazz

All the kei's are scarry esp on the turnpikes or toll-roads (got to keep the lingo so everyone can understand). Yes it is a Japanese style house, I sleep in the fridge to keep warm. Enjoy the snow.

8. Stormin

Stormin Member

Hey welcome great to hear from people in Japan!! Sounds like it gets cold there to. How cold does it get where most of these trucks come from?

9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Quite a range of climates from Okinawa (26 degrees N latitude = Miami, Florida) to Hokkaido (46 degrees N latitude = Portland, Oregon). And lots of mountains means many places with snow. :) However I don't think that even in Hokkaido it gets as cold as it does in Manitoba....or Wisconsin! :D

10. Stormin

Stormin Member

I was just wondering if they had any problems starting these trucks out there, but probably does not get cold enough. Mine starts really well till -25 C (-13 F) colder than that and it starts hard!:eek:

11. Stuff99

ya my thoughts to! anyone got some info?

12. Stormin

Stormin Member

I don't want to turn this into a thread about block heaters. Will start a new thread.

13. Stuff99

nono, i was just wondering how japan deals with the cold and their cars in general