1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, some questions about the engine

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by David Ogden, May 3, 2019.

1. Epicurus

Epicurus New Member

Yokohama charges a Japanese Consumption Tax? Maybe that's why they say to mention your country when asking about parts. I think I forgot to mention that I'm in the U.S.

I'll look at japanparts.com though.

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Yep, they charge 8% "tax" regardless of if you are in the country or not.. even though they ask. This is on top of their inflated prices as well. Honestly, since I have discovered JapanParts, I have been trying to spread the word about them as they are consistently the cheapest source of Subaru OEM parts of any of the exporters out there.

Speaking of shipping.. JapanPost (the mail service in Japan) is currently not accepting any airmail packages destined for the US because of COVID19. That leaves the only options available right now to be UPS/Fedex/DHL. So while right now shipping from any Japanese company is high, just keep in mind that shipping is not usually this high.

3. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

@Epicurus I forgot, you will need the bearings too. The bearing part numbers are 12108KA030 (rod journals), 12211KA060 (crank journals), and 12252KA000 (crank thrust bearings). They are about $40, $110, and $30, respectively.

Totaling all of the items on Yokohama (except the thrust bearings that they do not list.. but I guessed they would charge $45 for them), I come up with $950.40 before shipping.
    Japanparts prices (including the thrust bearings) will be just around 69,500 yen, which works out to about $674 before shipping.

Yes, needing to know part numbers ahead of time and emailing them is sort of a pain.. but saving $276 is well worth the time and effort.

4. Ted Diehl

Ted Diehl Member

Do you know how far you can bore the cylinders? Some of those High Mileage engines may require a "cleanup bore"

5. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Er, do you do know that you are replying to a post that is almost 5 years old, right?

To answer your question: The largest set of rings is 0.50mm oversized. The bore dimensions and tolerances are on page "129" of the PDF that I linked to in post 26.

Wire Fox likes this.
  6. Ted Diehl

Ted Diehl Member

Thanks I should pay closer attention to dates.