1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, my name is Jonathan S. I own a 94' Hijet 2WD.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gumballf355, Jul 2, 2008.

1. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

I own a 94' 2WD Hijet Jumbo truck. Main reasons why I bought this one above all others was the fact that it is registered for the street and was issued plates, it was bought with sub 5000 original miles, and is in awesome condition. I couldn't say no. It was a screaming deal... I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. It's a Jumbo too, so it has quite a bit of extra cabin room.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Most mini trucks you buy are right hand drive... this is left hand drive!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

Now I just gotta figure out how to shift it out of low gear so I can use the high gears. I want to go at a decent speed so I don't have to watch everyone pass me.
    Could anyone point me in the right direction. What other easy mods can be done to get some additional fun/pleasure from these cool trucks?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. jtpc

jtpc Member

Great looking truck. Very nice photos!
    I am surprised to see that your speedometer only goes to 25mph and that it is written in "mph". Perhaps someone changed out the original??
    The truck speedometer should at least go to 120 km/hr unless yours was not made for highway use in Japan.
    And I've never seen one with the steering wheel on the regular side.
    That's interesting.

4. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I am guessing that the truck was made for the U.S. market, in light of the LHD, and is limited to less than 25 mph. Look under the gas pedal for a restricter part and under the gear shift boot for another. I say this based on your statement that you cannot get out of low gear and your speedometer in MPH marked only to 25. Some trucks were made with more sophisticated limiters built into the speedometer and fuel systems. The trucks made for Japan and other countries were produced without any speed limiters but these were added when the used trucks were shipped to the U.S. Correct me if I have the facts mixed up.

I think you have gotten a great truck and hope it works out for you.

Sam

5. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

that is an import for the american market and governed to 25 mph by the transfer case. it came as a LHD model and the speedo is only supposed to go to 25mph. do a search on here, i know there are a couple good threads with detailed instructions and good pix on how to switch it into high range. you should be able to cruise that thing about 55-60mph in high range for sure.

6. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

My car doesn't have the transmission restrictor plate. I have acess to the Low, first, second and third gears aswell as reverse. Once the Hijet reaches 25mph it seems to have an ignition cut. I've done a few searches and all I come up with is a post where it says to remove a plate on the transfer case with 4 bolts and stick a mirror and needle nose pliers in to pull out a clip. I was searching for a more detail post about it, perhaps with pictures but I turned up empty handed. Could anyone point me to a place with a good writeup on how to do the mod? Anything else you guys recomend doing to my Hijet to get some added enjoyment from this cool truck? I should be going through and changing the fluids, filters and doing some basic mantainance to the truck but besides that and the hi/low mod. It seems the correct place to acess the transfer case to get to the plate is from the little opening in the truck bed? Looks a little difficult to get to the transfer case still.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

I just figured out how to do the high gear mod and take out the speed limiter! It's an awesome day!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I always had a love for little cars.

8. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Please give us a report on how you got the speed up and how the truck runs.

Sam

9. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

hmmmmmmmmmm more pictures?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  10. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Detailed the whole car today...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Super clean.

11. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    It can actually move around a race car trailer in low setting.

13. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

AE86's as well? I've had 5!!

14. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Here's my Unicorn...

15. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Nice.. very JDM as well. Your vehicle looks familiar.. have you ever been to Japan?

Sorry..computer crashed some time ago..no computer pics of my old ones :(

Nevermind.. took a closer look at the pics, and steering wheel is on the other side. Corolla GTS is nice...maybe I'll buy one if I ever come back to the US.

16. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

I've been to japan... but both of these are US corollas.

17. Colin

Colin Member

Wow, two AE86s! Lucky bastard! :D

18. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

So I took the Hijet on the expressway (45mph) as well as a quick run on the highway (60-65mph) for 3 exits and I must stay the car is super stable at speed and not as bumpy or noisy as I expected it to be. Driving at low speed seems to really be sensitive but as you speed up the suspension/tires seems to soak up bumps and imperfections better. The stock front springs and shocks don't seem up to par though... the front end bobs over big bumps... but nothing out of the ordinary I'm sure. It just seems the front suspension could benefit from stiffer springs and shocks.. something I'm looking into. Also the rear tail gate chains need to be sheathed in plastic tubing better.... it rattles all over the place. The rear lift gate latches lost their rubber tubing for tightness which I remedied quickly with butyl rubber tube slit length wise. Driver's side door has a slight squeak as well that I want to sort out (lithium grease??) Sounds like the driver's side window tracking rattle itself outta tightness maybe. I hate bumps and rattles. Nothing a little single sided felt tape can't fix for the most part. Not a chip or crack in the stock front window which I LOVE! After a second application of vynal protectant and a heatsoak on a hot day the seats have finally become super plush and elastic and the color on the dash really brightened up.

Things to do:
    1. Tint all windows to protect interior and bring down interior temperatures.
    2. Install nice stereo to enjoy while driving (CD head unit, two speakers and perhaps a small sub)
    3. Momo steering wheel hub?? (haven't located the correct hub yet)
    4. Lower the hijet?? (just a thought for now...)
    5. Rims/tires? (probably install my 16x8+10 Grids with 205/40/16 tires)
    6. Repair some minor bodydamage from the previous owner.
    7. Find all the squeaks n' rattles... byebye.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  19. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol what happens to the speedo when you get paste 30? just keep wrapping around?

20. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

The needle stops spinning when it hits the 5 o'clock position... if you go faster the needle doesn't get damaged. Once you back off the needlie will return to motion.

21. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

22. Colin

Colin Member

Nice, but no "me-and-my-minitruck" picture is complete without a JDM monkey pose. :D

23. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member