1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heater Not working on any speed

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by jap1122334, May 14, 2019.

1. jap1122334

jap1122334 New Member

Hi all I have been in other threads trying to sort out my heater not working on any speed, but not getting very far. I have decided to start a new thread from the beginning with pictures so hopefully this will help others when this happens to them. So far I have done the following:

1. Checked the fuse box (Fuse no 17) Under dash left side of steering column (Fine)

2. Taken apart the leaver switch (Speed 1,2 & 3) and cleaned all the contacts. (Fine)

3. Removed the connecter block to the fan and tested the current to the block on all 3 speeds (Fine)

4. Looked at post by Timetripper https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/b...t-for-v-ks3-4-v-kv3-4-sambar.3754/#post-26750 but my heater is not like that one.

5. Taken a load of pictures to put on here so someone can help hopefully.

6. She is a 1998 model

7. The Blower Motor resistor does not appeare to be there, but there is a 4 pin plug going into the side of the heater at the back below the motor connectors.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. jap1122334

jap1122334 New Member

After removing the part in the red circle this was underneath it. I am guessing it is the Resistor i am looking for. Now then can i bypass this to test the system ? I have also removed the fan and tested on a battery and it works fine.

Attached Files:

3. jap1122334

jap1122334 New Member

OMG I have just cleaned all the components and checked the voltage over the wires that connect to that resistor and all was fine so i fired up the engine turned on the fan and hey presto i have 3rd speed only turn on aircon and that starts to blow ice cold. Put it all back in and i suddenly have all 3 speeds working with air con as well. The coils looked ok but of course the heater is 20 years old so it must have just been contacts. While i have the whole dash stripped down i will have another play around because i don't want to have to do this again in a hurry. Hope this helps anyone else having a problem with their heater.

4. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

my a/c works great... but my heat doesnt work at all... was looking thru what you posted to see where it would cross ref for me.

thanks for posting this up.

5. jap1122334

jap1122334 New Member

Hi SDK do you mean your fan is not working or it just blows cold or does not blow at all ? but you can hear the air con kicking in ?

6. jap1122334

jap1122334 New Member

Hot and cold is from the leaver on the right as you look at it and circled in the picture.

Attached Files:

7. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

J,

my fan runs great at all speeds... a/c blows ice cold. no heat. havent torn the dash apart to see if the cable is moving whatever its supposed to be moving...

hoping its something simple like that & not a plugged up heater core.

8. jap1122334

jap1122334 New Member

Just before the tip of the arrow on the photograph there is a metal clip that holds the wire in place and mine came out so when i moved the temp knob nothing happened, check that it is an easy fix if that is the problem.

9. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

awesome! will check it & thank you!

10. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

11. I'm hoping someone can help, I've just bought an 84 sambar and there is no heat control. There is a hot/cold selection, a vent selection but no hi/lo, no off/on and it blows no air at all, the heater coil works cause the vent gets warm but won't blow any air. Someone help please

12. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

It could be the blower fuse, the blower motor itself, the blower resistor pack, wiring issues... You will need to look at the blower and start working backwards.

13. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

So you don't have a fan switch on the dash? .

14. Ya know what, for one thank you for your help but the 84 I bought ended up being to many problems so I got rid of it and purchased a 99 carry. I haven't really got to know my new purchase yet but I'm hoping it's a success lol :) but again thanks a lot