1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heater core question

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by paulebrown, Nov 20, 2012.

1. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

I just bought a 92 Daihatsu hijet dumptruck with plow. It has no heater core so far as I can see. The controls are there and the blower is there, but I see no heater core. The heater hoses are connected under the cab, making a look back to the engine. I think I need a heater core but don't know where it would go, probably somewhere between the fan assembly and the intake under the dash. This also has an inop AC, with a housing just forward of the shifter. It has a radiator in it for the cooling. Is it possible that it's also used for the heater? As anyone would guess, I'm no mechanic. Anyone got advice or most important, a diagram?
    Thanks,
    pb

2. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Well does the heat work?

3. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

No, nothing. Fan blows cold

4. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Put it on heat and put it on defrost or feet and see if it works for some reason the heat wont work on the front vents

5. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

It does not heat. The heater hoses are disconnected from the heater unit and re-connected under the cab and make a loop back to the engine. It appears that a previous owner removed the heater core and put in a little electric heater to defrost the windshield. That won't work in NH.
    pb

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

give Todd a call, bet you he has a wreck in the yard

minitruck.ca

7. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

Thanks, any help I can get...

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

No prob, you'll have to become at least a novice on this make model to figure a problem like this out.
    The information is here for sure, or someone has the model in operating condition.
    Todd can get you started, then start reading and searching.
    If nothing else, you'll find a member that can give you direct help.
    Try some pics too, we like that here.

9. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

Heater core, where is it: for what it's worth: A young member of this forum sent some photos of the heater unit (removed from the truck), which helped me to figure out what I have or don't have. It appears that the heater core I was missing either was never installed (truck in warm climate) or someone snipped the coolant lines. However, there is no exit opening for the coolant lines from the heater unit, so far as I can see. The truck had an AC unit in front of the shifter with a shroud connecting it to the interior air input to the heater unit, so the fan drew air through the AC radiator and out the vents. So, at this point I'm thinking I'll just run the heater hoses through a core secured to the floor and put a 12V fan behind it, at least for this winter. If anyone wants an AC unit, its available, but not until I get all of the compressor assembly and pipes off of the engine. (if I can get them off). Thanks for the help and I'm sure I'll be back again with more problems.
    I'm going to try and attach photos of what I have.
    pb 001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg

10. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

How much for the ac unit?

11. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

Its yours for the shipping cost. But I still have to get the parts off the engine, and I'm not sure about how to do that.
    pb

12. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Ok ill do that, what are you having problems with?

13. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

Part of the connection to the engine is under the dump bed. In order to remove the AC parts, I'll have to lift the bed, remove the metal plate over the engine and tackle it from there. I'm not a mechanic, so I don't want to be removing the wrong stuff, or leave openings for leaks. One think I know is that the compressor doesn't leak, because when I unhooked the lines to the unit a lot of air blew out. If you're near Raymond, NH, you're invited.
    pb

14. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

I would gladly come help but im from mississippi, can you get some pictures posted im sure we can get you the info you need

15. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

I have photos with captions in PDF format. How do I upload PDF?

16. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Click go advanced in the bottom right by post quick reply and it says manage attachments I think thatll allow you to upload it

17. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

I just tried it and don't know if it worked or not.

18. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

19. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

Hey, it worked!
    pb

20. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Yea it worked what picture is the part your having problems with

21. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

I believe that whole unit with the belt is the compressor. Not easy to get to...and where does the other hose go to?

22. minitruck.ca

minitruck.ca Member

The heater bob is located under the blower box and the heater core tubes go through the floor

23. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

Thanks for the input; I've found that the core was never installed. This apparently was a southern truck with AC. The blower pulled air thru the AC and out the vents. I bought a Mojave heater to solve the problem of keeping my feet warm while plowing snow.
    pb

24. paulebrown

paulebrown New Member

To the gentleman from Miss.: I'll be happy to send the AC to you, whenever I get the ambition, and a warm place to work, to remove the compressor and hoses from the engine. Will have to raise the bed and take the metal cover off. My email is paulebrown@comcast.net if you want to send your address. I had to cut the wiring, so you'll need a wiring diagram, unless you're really good at this stuff. I'm not.
    My installed heater (Mojave; $200) works really well. I love this little truck and use it for local trips around town.
    pb

25. DutchWillis

DutchWillis New Member

Do you still have the ac unit by chance? I'd love to buy it

26. 727tg221

727tg221 New Member

i too also am having problems with the heat in my cab.

i just bought a 1991-1995 Mitsubishi MiniCab Truck

4x4 660cc 3G93 V-U42T and i have very much heat at all when i go to defrost in the morning. i tore the heater core out one day and blew it out

with a bunch of air. also blew out inside the whole heating black box located on the floor . i have already made sure all the vent doors are opening

and shutting as they should. when i turn the heat on i do have low, medium , and high blowing power. and the heater core hose itself does get

warm once the vehicle engine has had time to warm up, but no matter how little or long i drive it i always get the same cool air flowing out of the

vents.

27. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

Does anyone know what size of heater hose these things take? I forgot my piece back at where my truck is and I don't want to drive back there without the replacement hose.