1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

head leaking oil in a gusher

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry References' started by binder66, Nov 9, 2011.

1. binder66

binder66 Member

1996 dd51t have been checking oil and know I had a couple of leaks.

Today momma and I went to pick up a shell I am going to cut down for a tanou(sp?) cover and the oil light came on as I pulled into the yard. Came to a stop and no light so left it running to load topper.

Engine died--no oil---oh crud.

Called son loaded up on oil and restarted. A gush of oil on ground. Had son start as I crawlled under truck to see where from.

As soon as truck is started a stream pencil sized runs out from rear of head area. We oulled the truck home and thats where I am at.

Has anyone had anything like this occur before?

Kind of looks like a tube back there. Maybe an oil retun from valve area on top of the head?

Do not see anything in my manuals to explain this.

Any help out there?

Jeff in Wyoming:frustration:

2. binder66

binder66 Member

oil gusher

All is well !!!!

The last bolt in the exhaust manifold fell out. At least it was missing. Anyway what I thought has a tube is just a casting in the head I think and the oil was comming out of the bolt hole.

It appears the bolt hole goes into the oil galley and the oil was removing itself from confinement rapidly without a bolt in it.

Me thinks now most of my oil loss has been from this area. I used a metric bolt the same size and thread pitch as what holds on the engine cover, just longer.

Applyed a coper sealing washer and tightened. No more gusher at least.

Jeff in wyoming

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

holy crap! Thats nuts! Glad your problem is fixed, sometimes its not that easy.

4. binder66

binder66 Member

not so lucky

Well I thought I got away with it but I did fry the engine.
    Think now that my 94 will have to donate its engine.
    It's always something with me here lately.:(

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Damn..that sucks...thought that one was a happy ending:(

6. binder66

binder66 Member

Happy Endings

Not so much here lately.

Life keeps wooping my on the river.( I poker referance that)

Am upright and sucking air so still fighting!

Will turn the corner and get ahead someday.........I hope.

Love these little trucks.

Jeff in Wyoming

7. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lucky she didnt seize!!

8. binder66

binder66 Member

Well all really went down hill. Developed a noise I thought was an exhaust leak. It started getting worse and I figured a rust spot had opened up further in the exhaust and therefore was getting louder.

Of course I brapped it a lot cuz it sounded cool.

My daughter and I were on a run coming back to the house and I was riding her hard (the truck lol) when she banged and jumped and no more exhaust leak!

No power but she got me home ,about 4 blocks, backed into the driveway and she died.

This one is forever. The oil filter and a chunk of block are dangeling from the oil pressure sending unit wire under the engine.

Now I have to swap engines but have an abundance of projects now so no time soon.

Sigh, I love this little truck but it's just as much trouble and as expensive as every woman I know.

Jeff in wyoming

9. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

that's definitely not cool..hope to hear some good news on an engine swap from you soon..

10. binder66

binder66 Member

Well not fast as I have too many irons in the fire at any given time, but the little beast runs again.
    Now am eyeing a snow plow to put on before snow flies.

Talked to Steve at MichTrucks and think I will be putting on his front receiver to accept the plow.

Am looking at a cycle country poly plow. Anyone use one?

Power up and down with manual angle in a 72".

Would love some feedback on the set up if anyone has any.

Oh its good to be back in my suzy!

Jeff in Wyoming