1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD front bumper

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by acidgear, Apr 15, 2009.

1. acidgear

acidgear Member

We are putting together a heavy duty front bumper and I wanted to get some input from the forum. Pictures do the best so have a look...this is a 1992 Carry.
    Hardware from the original bumper are used as well as mounts for front hitch. Missing in the middle is the last plate. There will be a hitch in this bumper and it will be louvered for airflow into the radiator.

Attached Files:

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Cool! Good work! Looks similar to the one I made for my 99 Daihatsu. I opted to use aftermarket LED lamps in mine. I bet you'll get alot of interest in those bumpers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Windmill

Windmill Member

How much did this weigh?

4. greg0187

Mine was heavy... I'm thinking maybe 60-80lbs. Its made from .210 wall. It looks like AcidGears is made from .120 wall.

-Greg

5. acidgear

acidgear Member

I'll have weight in a day or so. Our bumpers are made out of 11ga so it is just under .120...most manufactured bumpers are that same thickness. Here is an updated photo.

Attached Files:

6. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Lookin good Joel! This should be a super-nice piece when completed. Are you planning a powder-coat black finish?

Greg...kudos again on that custom fabb'ed front bumper. Love the LED signals incorporated up front - smart move and stylin. :D

7. acidgear

acidgear Member

Thanks...we finished and here it is, black powder coat like all our stuff will be the finish. I do have a zinc plate we use but that is awfully expensive. Before anyone asks it is built in pieces right now as a prototype so I can work out all the fit issues and angles.

Attached Files:

8. greg0187

Looks good. I like the addition of "T" slots for chains.

9. acidgear

acidgear Member

Thanks Greg...the "t" slots are for chains and for a jack.

10. Meesho

Meesho Member

Am I the only one that thinks more weight on the front is a bad thing?

11. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Maybe that's where the 250-300 pound springs come into play.

12. acidgear

acidgear Member

I'll have the final weight as soon as I'm finished. It's not as much as you might think. Shrimp Daddy is right on!...if you add things like plows or some other attachment you should add aftermarket suspension components. If just adding this bumper you would not need to add any further suspension components. It's purpose is to have a bumper capable of "clearing" a path when out in the bush. With our brush plate and this bumper you will be able to drive over small trees and brush.

13. acidgear

acidgear Member

OK here it is ready for paint, final weight is 80 lbs...again this is 11ga and darn tough. I hope to get one out in the Michigan forest soon for testing.

Attached Files:

14. acidgear

acidgear Member

I just sent you a PM Norm...

15. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

GREAT Bumpers!!!

Ok guys...I need to give Joel and his crew a shameless plug here because I have the first set of front & rear HD bumpers in my hands and on our demo truck (my own personal Zuki). I have no association to Acidgear other than having been installing their well-designed and built functions for some time now on the trucks we sell. For a little more background, feel free to check-out this recent post as well: reference to the front & rear receiver hitches

Here's a couple shots of the front bumper installed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joel's fabricator K.C. that assembled the prototype did a hell of a job! This is the NICEST and best built bumper replacement I have seen available in the mini truck industry. The bumpers scream function, not just asthetics (like most of what has been available on the market). In the pictures, you are also seeing the optional brush guard (prototype) and off-road lights that we added.

Some of the highlights...
    • Incorporated 2" Receiver Hitches (at the perfect height)
    • Incorporated Cleavis Hook mounts
    • Incorporated Front Skid Plate
    • Recessed Turn signal light protection
    • VERY sturdy construction

The front bumper is very easy to mount up for the average DIY type guy with some limited mechanical ability. The bumper has 3 attachment points to the truck (totalling 10 bolts), making it the best mount I've seen so far (by far). I would feel even more confident attaching a snow plow to this bumper than the tested and true front receiver hitch which Joel's crew has been producing for the industry for some time. It is a beast!

We had this truck at a local gun club for a State shooting event all weekend and the response was excellent to the bumpers.

I'll try and get some pictures of the rear HD bumper posted later - it is just as nice as the front.

Both the front and rear bumpers are currently available for the 1990 - 1998-1/2 Suzuki Carry's (old body styles). The rear bumper should also fit the newer body styles as it uses the same mounting brackets as the rear receiver hitch (I cannot confirm this yet but I'm confident). Drop me an EMAIL if you are interested and want more information. Joel will be working on other truck model years in the near future (newer Carry's, Mitsu's, etc).

Again, kudo's to the crew over at Acidgear for a job VERY well done! If you've been holding-out on buying FUNCTIONAL bumpers for your truck, these are the ones you've been waiting for!!! Personally, I couldn't be happier with the end product.

16. Meesho

Meesho Member

Are these bumpers still available? What about Hijet? Thanks

17. dbrowning

dbrowning Guest

Any body still sell'n these bumpers ? I've tried to get one and they are tough to find. Any thoughts. Your assistance would be appreciated. Need front HD bumper w/ brush guard for 92 Suzuki DD51T.

18. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

yes u can still get bumpers for suzuki i have a hd bumper and i love it i got mine from buckeye mini trucks they had the cheapest price but it was still an acidgear bumper and the people there r sooo nice and easy to work with they really take care of u pm me tomorrow and ill have the name of the guy i dealt with and give u my name tell him i sent you well will take great care of you