1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having trouble finding VIN

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Rick Guillot, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Rick Guillot

Rick Guillot New Member

I have a Daihatsu Deck Van. Seatbelt tag says 1993. There are 2 tags under the driver seat. The tag under the seat is all Japanese with the exception of a few numbers. The tag under the seat on the right fender has Type, Chassis No., Engine, Color and Trim. I can't find any other tags or numbers. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ttc

ttc Active Member

mine is under the seat maybe on a blue tag but i think also stamped into the sheet metal also

Rick Guillot likes this.
  3. Rick Guillot

Rick Guillot New Member

The only thing I see stamped is S110w-000356
    Shouldn't the VIN be a longer number than that?

4. Inane2

Inane2 Member

You won't have the traditional 17 digit vin we're used to here in the States. You're looking for the "chassis number". It should be on the silver plate under the driver's seat and also stamped into the metal near the engine access under the driver' seat.

The chassis number is basically your model plus a 6 digit unique identifier. You can decode it here:

https://jpcenter.ru/month

5. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Oops, must have been typing during your reply. You found it, that's it. You have a S110W.

Rick Guillot likes this.
  6. Rick Guillot

Rick Guillot New Member

Thank you. I was trying to get a throttle cable for it today and they told me they needed the VIN number to order it even after I sent them a photo of the silver tag. So, I have been scratching my head all day searching for a VIN. Lol

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  7. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Just a bit of info. Each Manufacturer used to make up their Chassis/vehicle number as they felt they had a need to, there was no standard way to do it. About 1980, the US Govt mandated that there be standardized VIN's on each vehicle sold in the US and the 17 digit setup was devised. So every new vehicle sold in the states since then had the VIN and since these Kei class vehicles were not meant to be sold in the states(at that time), they did not have to comply. Years back, when you went to buy any parts you had to specify Make, Year, Model & Serial Number. Now the VIN tells everything about the vehicle

Fred

Rick Guillot likes this.
  8. Rick Guillot

Rick Guillot New Member

Thanks for the info. That makes more sense to me now.