1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have to hold down the 4x4 button on the shifter knob?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by WELDER, Jan 25, 2010.

1. WELDER

WELDER Member

Ok, so 90 Sambar pickup. I have to hold the 4x4 button down to keep the 4x4 light on. This doesn't seem normal. Also, when I flip the diff lock to "on", no light comes on in the dash, is there supposed to be one?

Thanks

2. starpuss

starpuss Member

bad switch?

3. WELDER

WELDER Member

That's what I was thinking. How do I remove the shifter knob? I tried an allen key, then realized that it's just a pin...

4. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yes, bad switch. Find another or hijack the wiring and add your own.

Difflock usually only works in 4WD 1st gear or low gear. Check the switch though.

5. WELDER

WELDER Member

I'll pull the wiring and add a toggle switch :)

But...how do I remove the knob?

6. kepow

kepow Member

Welder....I had the same problem
    Dont give up on tje swith....drive the roll pin out...get into the guts of the switch...clean it up good
    I dont remember exactly what i did to fix mine....it was a few months ago...but I do remember there was some little plastic pieces and a little spring.
    Put it this way...I was able to fix mine and Im not the sharpest tack in the box so Im sure you will get your fixed too

7. WELDER

WELDER Member

Alrighty. I won't be using 4x4 while drifting anyway, so not a huge problem. I will be using a custom shifter knob, so I'll remove the current one, but, I will check the switch; just for the challenge:)

Thank you.

8. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Gotta love our little community! :D Thanks for helping out Kepow.

9. starpuss

starpuss Member

y are you to chicken to try to drift in 4x4? It’s fun lol.(on ice) i am going to post a youtube vid soon me on a ice rink with my mini lol.

10. WELDER

WELDER Member

Is that a challenge I hear?

11. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol "ooohhhhhhhhhhh challenge!!"

12. subarusambar

subarusambar New Member

wires?

I'm having some problems with the 4x4 switch as well. I just was wondering if you guys knew what all three wires are for? One is power (white) and the other is the actual 4x4 (red) but what does the yellow wire do?

13. I had to replace one of these about a year ago, your switch is worn out inside so you'll need to replace it. All I did was re-wire exactly the same way I took it off and it all worked great, I don't know what each wire did. I believe there is a roll pin holding the shifter knob on that you'll have to push out and then you can slide the faulty switch out.

14. subarusambar

subarusambar New Member

thanks, i just took it off and put a toggle switch below the shifter unit. The yellow wire is just a dud. It goes from the switch to a connector block and ends there.

15. davejohnsonnola

davejohnsonnola New Member

not sure if its the same as justy and e12 microvan,
    but these use three wires
    one hot for each electro-vacuum solenoid and the third wire goes to ground.