1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hauling Mini truck in pickup bed

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Shep VA, Jan 18, 2008.

1. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Don't worry. Thats no Chevy. I'm pretty sure thats a Ford truck.

2. toyhog

toyhog Member

Wow!! Brave man, That's DOT bait in Kansas!!!

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I went back and looked at the picture again. I think that it's actually a Dodge truck.

4. greg0187

Your right. After I wrote that on my way home I did see a Dodge that body style.

5. superdutytrucks

superdutytrucks New Member

What you didn't see was the FORD with a chain pulling that junk dodge out

6. greg0187

I hear ya! lol!

7. scesnick

scesnick Member

I'll hook the bumper of my "junk" Cummins to your Ford any day.And I will give you 2 extra cylinders to boot just to make it a bit more fair.:)

8. Colin

Colin Member

Alright, girls. Keep your panties on.

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Ditto that!!! I had a 98 Dodge Cummins. Hands down THE best truck I ever owned. Still had the OEM tires on it when I sold it with 108k on the odometer. Probably should have kept that truck, but wasn't using it much anymore, and hated the idea of it just sitting in the driveway unused.

Back when I had that truck, a friend of mine and I were working out in my yard. We heard the sound of somebody's differential failing, so we went over to check it out. It was another Dodge truck with a Cummins with over 300k on its odometer. They were pulling a large ditch witch on a very large trailer. We hopped into my truck, and pulled both the truck and trailer over to my place. Once we got the trailer unhooked, we pulled the truck forward far enough to get it out of the way, and then pulled the trailer back to where he worked.

One of my most common things to haul around in that truck, was dead cars on trailers. If I could keep my foot out of it, It would tap on 18 mpg TOWING. 23 to 24 mpg was possible empty. The F150 has to be babied to the extreme to tap 23, and will only get 10 towing, and I have to run 10 mph slower in the F150 to do those numbers, than I did in the Dodge. The Duramax and the Powerstroke cannot hold a candle to a Cummins powered Dodge - I don't care if they post higher hp/torque figures or not.

10. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

......and then theres the hungry V10.........;)

11. superdutytrucks

superdutytrucks New Member

HAHAHA, I'll hook up my 6.0 Powerstroke up to a Cum-a-part any time, then drag race them for pinks. Haha :D

12. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Maybe Jason will chime in with his 6.0 experience that he shared with me this afternoon. ;)

13. scesnick

scesnick Member

You paid how much for this engine? :frustration:facts are facts, and here they are...

From Wikipedia:

Unable to meet stricter emissions regulations, the 7.3L (445 cu in) Power Stroke was replaced by the 6.0 L (366.1 cu in) during the 2003 year model. This version lasted through 2006 (2007 model year). Many 6.0 L Power Stroke engines proved unreliable,[1] may have cost Ford hundreds of millions of dollars in warranty repairs and leading to a recall and repurchase of at least 500 trucks. :mad: The major problem with the Navistar diesel engines are due to damage resulting from defective fuel injectors, which suffer from side loading, which then causes raw fuel to flood and enter the engine's oil crankcase or hydro-lock the engine. The previous occurrence is so disastrous that a total engine replacement in some cases, has been required. :eek: There were also minor problems resulting from the unreliable factory variable-vane turbocharger, head gasket problems, EGR valve carbon deposit clogging/sticking, defective Exhaust Pressure (EP) sensor/connector, extensive PCM recalibrations, fuel injector harness chafing/crushing, general engine stalling/bucking, and inability to conform to the new Federal diesel emissions standards of January 1, 2007.

I'll take this one thank you:

from Wiki:

The 5.9 L ISB (Interact System B) is one of the largest straight-6 engine ever produced for light truck vehicles, and the improved high output 600 version was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2004.

One unusual feature of the ISB is that it is a multi-valve pushrod engine design. The engine displaces 5883 cc with a 102.1 mm bore and 119.9 mm stroke. A turbocharger output in the high-compression (17.2:1 in recent versions) Diesel. It is an all-iron engine with forged steel connecting rods, an assembled camshaft, and a cast aluminum intake manifold. The engine is produced in Columbus, Indiana.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  14. greg0187

How about haulin one in a short box!

Attached Files:

15. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Member

Precarious doesn't even begin to cover that setup!

16. speedy67

speedy67 Member

Hauling in a shortbed might not be so bad if you were to have some good timbers (or inverted channel iron) that run up to the front of the bed under both the front and rear wheels to distribute the load.

17. Not a fan of 6.0

Always been a Ford fan, but my 6.0 was a piece. Doesn't pull worth a crap, transmission doesn't shift right, fuel mileage is terrible (comparatively). I went back to the 7.3. Just bought a nice used 2000 CC 4x4 dually. Pulls like a dream, fuel mileage is better than the 6.0 F250 with the 3.73 rear (dually has the 4.11) Overall a better built truck. And I only gave up 27,000 miles (2000 - 126k vs 2005 - 99k)

I agree the cummins motor is one of the best out there (5.9 at least), but Dodge needs to build a better quality truck around it!

My "dream truck" would be a Ford body, Cummins motor, and allison transmission.

18. gbrad

gbrad Member

I had always been a Ford guy too, Jason. Until the fourth automatic transmission in my Ford Super Duty at 80,000 miles. The first one went at 42,000 miles.

I changed over to Chevy Crew cab 4x4's. I have one '06 Dually and one '05 short bed crew cab. The Chevy's have much more pulling power and get dramatically better fuel mileage. Overall a nicer truck. The Allison trannys are awesome.

I pull a trailer about four days a week which works out to about 40,000 miles per year so do expect performance when I plop down that much money for a truck. Anyway, I was very disappointed in the Fords. I also have a buddy that has a '05 Dodge Dually and he is very pleased.

gbrad

19. toyhog

toyhog Member

There's good Fords, and bad Fords. Good Dodge, and Bad Dodge.etc.....
    The best truck I ever owned was a 1993 F350 4X4 CC with a 7.3L.
    220,000, and all I replaced was 6 batteries, a starter, and two alternators.
    never even had injection problems. Brad had the same truck, but totally different luck. Wish I had that truck back.

20. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

I'm a Chevy guy myself, Ford is just to proud of their trucks.. meaning $$$$. :)