1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hauling Mini truck in pickup bed

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Shep VA, Jan 18, 2008.

1. superdutytrucks

superdutytrucks New Member

HAHAHA, I'll hook up my 6.0 Powerstroke up to a Cum-a-part any time, then drag race them for pinks. Haha :D

2. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Maybe Jason will chime in with his 6.0 experience that he shared with me this afternoon. ;)

3. scesnick

scesnick Member

You paid how much for this engine? :frustration:facts are facts, and here they are...

From Wikipedia:

Unable to meet stricter emissions regulations, the 7.3L (445 cu in) Power Stroke was replaced by the 6.0 L (366.1 cu in) during the 2003 year model. This version lasted through 2006 (2007 model year). Many 6.0 L Power Stroke engines proved unreliable,[1] may have cost Ford hundreds of millions of dollars in warranty repairs and leading to a recall and repurchase of at least 500 trucks. :mad: The major problem with the Navistar diesel engines are due to damage resulting from defective fuel injectors, which suffer from side loading, which then causes raw fuel to flood and enter the engine's oil crankcase or hydro-lock the engine. The previous occurrence is so disastrous that a total engine replacement in some cases, has been required. :eek: There were also minor problems resulting from the unreliable factory variable-vane turbocharger, head gasket problems, EGR valve carbon deposit clogging/sticking, defective Exhaust Pressure (EP) sensor/connector, extensive PCM recalibrations, fuel injector harness chafing/crushing, general engine stalling/bucking, and inability to conform to the new Federal diesel emissions standards of January 1, 2007.

I'll take this one thank you:

from Wiki:

The 5.9 L ISB (Interact System B) is one of the largest straight-6 engine ever produced for light truck vehicles, and the improved high output 600 version was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2004.

One unusual feature of the ISB is that it is a multi-valve pushrod engine design. The engine displaces 5883 cc with a 102.1 mm bore and 119.9 mm stroke. A turbocharger output in the high-compression (17.2:1 in recent versions) Diesel. It is an all-iron engine with forged steel connecting rods, an assembled camshaft, and a cast aluminum intake manifold. The engine is produced in Columbus, Indiana.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

How about haulin one in a short box!

Attached Files:

5. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Member

Precarious doesn't even begin to cover that setup!

6. speedy67

speedy67 Member

Hauling in a shortbed might not be so bad if you were to have some good timbers (or inverted channel iron) that run up to the front of the bed under both the front and rear wheels to distribute the load.

7. Not a fan of 6.0

Always been a Ford fan, but my 6.0 was a piece. Doesn't pull worth a crap, transmission doesn't shift right, fuel mileage is terrible (comparatively). I went back to the 7.3. Just bought a nice used 2000 CC 4x4 dually. Pulls like a dream, fuel mileage is better than the 6.0 F250 with the 3.73 rear (dually has the 4.11) Overall a better built truck. And I only gave up 27,000 miles (2000 - 126k vs 2005 - 99k)

I agree the cummins motor is one of the best out there (5.9 at least), but Dodge needs to build a better quality truck around it!

My "dream truck" would be a Ford body, Cummins motor, and allison transmission.

8. gbrad

gbrad Member

I had always been a Ford guy too, Jason. Until the fourth automatic transmission in my Ford Super Duty at 80,000 miles. The first one went at 42,000 miles.

I changed over to Chevy Crew cab 4x4's. I have one '06 Dually and one '05 short bed crew cab. The Chevy's have much more pulling power and get dramatically better fuel mileage. Overall a nicer truck. The Allison trannys are awesome.

I pull a trailer about four days a week which works out to about 40,000 miles per year so do expect performance when I plop down that much money for a truck. Anyway, I was very disappointed in the Fords. I also have a buddy that has a '05 Dodge Dually and he is very pleased.

gbrad

9. toyhog

toyhog Member

There's good Fords, and bad Fords. Good Dodge, and Bad Dodge.etc.....
    The best truck I ever owned was a 1993 F350 4X4 CC with a 7.3L.
    220,000, and all I replaced was 6 batteries, a starter, and two alternators.
    never even had injection problems. Brad had the same truck, but totally different luck. Wish I had that truck back.

10. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

I'm a Chevy guy myself, Ford is just to proud of their trucks.. meaning $$$$. :)

11. toyhog

toyhog Member

wow, around here it's just the opposite?:confused:

12. superdutytrucks

Yeah I understand the problems they had with the 6.0, believe it or not alot of the problems start because they baby there trucks. Injectors, EGR valves ect, get clogged and carboned up when the people don't beat there trucks. One of Fords top diesel mechanic in the country says to pound the sh!t out of it, once a month hold it to the rev limiter (standard trans.) for 4-5 miles just to clean it out, and I didn't believe him either till I did, better economy, much more power and runs cleaner. The 6.0 is not the average diesel, run it likes its a 2-stroke, it loves the 4000 rpm mark and is designed to run there all day. Emissions is the reason for the 6.4, and you will see a few other diesels before 2020 because the crack down on emissions. I don't have a real problem with cummins I just hate dodge. I know just as many people with dodge problems as you do Ford ones. Ford uses cummins in the F-650 and F-750 so I don't have a problem with them. Anybody that has seen the latest diesel power magazine seen that Ford is in the works with CAT on a diesel for the F-150. The numbers matter tho Ford still sells more diesels than anyone else out there.

13. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I have always believed in the "Beat the sh!t out of it" with any veihicle. They just last longer.

-G

14. WE've had good luck with all the Fords my company owns. We have 2 work trucks that get beat up daily. My dad has an '02 with 350k and runs like a top. An installer for us has an '02 with 450k on it and is hooked to a trailer 95% of the time. Neither one has had major problems. Both my dad and I were thinking about new trucks and we were considering Chevy. We were in Fords due to employee pricing we were able to get which brings it down in cost, plus no haggling! I just happened to find a great deal on this Dually, so I'll drive it for a while and see how things shake down in the new truck market.

And to the point of beating the crap out of the 6.0 - I have and it doesn't help. I tend to drive them hard - and the 7.3 always stood up.

The next couple of years will be interesting to see what comes down the pike with emissions requirements, etc. and diesels become more "mainstream" in the daily driver vehicles. When I was in Costa Rica nearly everything was diesel. Our rental 4runner and land cruiser were both diesels and ran great! I loved them!

15. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Well, since this seems to have turned into the official "diesel truck engine" thread, have you guys seen THIS

[​IMG]

Me? If they were to chop this in half and put it in an AWD wagon the size of a Subaru Legacy (they could call it a Malibu wagon if they want) they would have my attention. :D

16. scesnick

scesnick Member

well, you might not have to wait too long. Honda is coming in 2009 with diesels in the Civic, and a small SUV looking thing that supposedly gets around 45 MPG.

17. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

.....I'm really a chevy guy I guess, and never had a diesel anything...but the best truck I have ever had was a 1980 Dodge Power Wagon with a 360....All the chevys I had were good trucks, but that one was the best....Now Ive got another Dodge, 1998 with a V10...gets same or better gas mileage than one with a 360 in the year range...... I get 15mpg - 488 V10 with 3.73 gears.... It has alot of power... It is unreal off-road.....Oh by the way I have never owned a Ford truck....Why would I do such a thing to myself..?? ;)

I bet you if I put my mini truck in the bed of my truck and maybe a case of beer for weight....and I could get traction, I could pull the earth in half with that Dodge....oh yeah, guarantee it.....:D

18. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Well the cool thing about that engine is that it has no exhaust or intake manifolds in a conventional sense. You'd have to check out the article for details but it sounds pretty cool. I had a diesel Rabbit that I drove the heck out of for 10 years. And, of course, my little John Deere is a whopping 20hp 3 cylinders of mini-diesel goodness.

19. ddimports

ddimports Member

multi-tasking

i hauled these 90 miles home
    mazda titan caring toyota hiace caring a 1984 carry fire truck with only 3500km

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  20. toyhog

toyhog Member

WOW!! don't know where to start. That's got to be a cool fire truck. ;)
    I want all three vehicles to add to my toy collection.:p
    No DOT problems I guess? Must not have traveled through Kansas. Ha, Ha!!:D

21. Mitsubishi A/C problems

I have had a few Mitsubishi's that the a/c light does not come on when pushing in the a/c button and all a/c components appear to be intact and connected . Any ideas what might be up with this?

22. superdutytrucks

I'd like to see a dodge V-10 against a Ford Triton V-10 once, I'd pay to see it

23. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

How much???
    Lets get a chain and hook em up......;)

24. superdutytrucks

Haha, i'll have to talk to my Dad to get his Triton to show a mopar up.

25. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

......................;)

26. jliltd

jliltd Member

Hear the Tundra rumors too. I haven't experienced it with heavy farm use but the tailgate is definitely not as strong as other domestic pickups (or imports like the Dodge Ram).

I decided to install a Diamondback HD truck bed cover and can park a mini truck on top (cover holds 1,600 lbs - that's two ATVs or one mini). I have the 8' bed.

[​IMG]

27. jliltd

jliltd Member

Mine too. I actually have two 2005 6.0 Powerstroke F250 4x4's. Should have never "upgraded" from the 7.3. Still have a 7.3 Excursion, though. Here's one of my 6.0 Powerstrokes at 25K miles:

[​IMG]

I had to leave the truck with a dealer 400 miles from home for two weeks for a warranty repair.

As you can see the 6.0 diesel Ford provides plenty of adventure and allows the traveler to visit with friendly locals wherever they go (mostly mechanics).

Here's shot of another warranty trip three months later to the local Ford dealer. I decided to haul it to town with something reliable, much to the chagrin of my Ford service rep:

[​IMG]

It's gotta be 7.3 or no Ford. I love the Cummins but am not Philistine enough to buy a Dodge. I had a Duramax Chevy for a few months and like it fine. Until a foreman totaled it and I got the Tundra and I gave him one of the Powerstrokes.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  28. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Jliltd,

The pictures are always great...and very interesting. You must carry a camera around with you. I always wish that I had a camera around but never seem to remember one or I can't keep up with one! Must be CRS (Can't Remember Sh**) :D

I use my camera phone occasionally....but that is almost as bad as no picture at all! :rolleyes:

29. kojock

kojock New Member

I drive one of the ultimate truck/engine/transmission combos. A stock 2000 F250 with the dependable 7.3 Powerstroke, great Ford truck built around it and the stock 6 speed manual transmission and 3.73 gears that the word bullet proof do not even begin to describe! Plenty of power and gets great mileage. Can burn Veggie oil when I have it due to the fuel rail design, which is really cool. My buddy with the modern Cummins is afraid to try that. He also gets a weird exhaust smell in his cab that is a result of all the emissions stuff they have put on the new trucks. Dealer says that is normal. Sounds like a design flaw to me. The only problem with my setup is driving with that heavy clutch in city traffic has caused the quads in my left leg to over develop a little bit. Not all bad, though. Some chicks did that uneven look and if I concentrate real hard, I can manage to keep from pulling to the left too much and only walk in very large circles. Haven't walked into a wall in a long time :)

30. miniMOG

miniMOG Member

I have had a miniMOG in the back of my Dodge Cummins many times- no problem. Helps to have a loading dock/ramp of some kind. I couldnt find a pic, though. I can put one in the back, and 3 on a 18' trailer. Here is a pic of how I deliver my "3 4x4s for 10K" deal.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: