1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hatfield McCoy trail system

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by volkswagen50, Apr 2, 2008.

1. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

Currently mini trucks are not allowed on the Hatfield McCoy trail system. The side-by-side crowd is though. So I took a comparison from the web of ours vs/ them and wrote a nice letter to the BOD of the system. Here is what I said:

"Hello, my name is Greg Brunelle. I am an avid offroader, atv rider and outdoorsman. I’ve been riding for 20 years. Not too long ago I was told about your trail system by a co-worker, I’d never heard of it because I had only recently moved to South Carolina from another part of the country. The website you have is great, very informative, and well organized. But I was disappointed to see that side-by side UTVs have to be approved and on a list to be allowed. I was wondering if it was because of insurance reasons or otherwise.

Recently I was looking to buy a side-by-side vehicle so that I could take friends with me. After looking around on the web and comparing models, I was going to buy a used Kawasaki Mule. New ones were just out of my price range. Then I saw something called a Japanese mini truck. It was only a foot longer weighed about the same, had similar HP, tires and size overall. But it has a good ol’ manual gearbox, transfer case and drive shafts like offroader should. With rollup windows, heat, even a radio or AC if I wanted to spend some more money. So I bought a 1993 Mitsubishi MiniCab. A 3” lift gave it plenty of room for Carlisle tires, had a low range 4wd unit and real heat. Seat belts too! Being built as a production vehicle in the Japanese domestic market, I expect it to long outlive any UTV.

Given that these trucks compare so much in size, weight, tires, and are as capable or more so than the available side-by -side units out there, do you feel that it might be possible to have them allowed on your trail system at some point in the near future? I don’t know how such things are decided, but it would be great if it were to be considered. They are coming into the US in higher numbers than ever before, with a user base that would love a fantastic place like the Hatfield McCoy trails to go.

I’ve included a comparison of Japanese mini trucks and some of the available side-by-side units. There are others that can be viewed online as well. A quick search with Google or another search engine of the phrase “Japanese mini truck” will yield many results and lots of pictures. Youtube.com will show some of them in action.

In closing, I’d like to thank you for your time in viewing this, and hopefully you will think about allowing these small trucks on the trails before too long. They really are fun!"

I hope for a positive response, but we'll need some support to get in there. They have well over 1000 miles of trails. Their address is:
    PO box 539, Lyburn, WV. 25632
    Keep it clean and nice, maybe it will work.

2. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Good Luck!

Very well written. Here in AZ you don't have any trouble with the state game and fish, but the forest service (feds)well hassle you in the national forest, but its a big forest:rolleyes:. Best of luck to you.

3. max ofindiana

max ofindiana New Member

hey volkswagon 50, i just saw your post i lived just outside of woodruff sc for 15 yrs from 1981 t0 1996. had some great time there. can you get minis registared in s.c. ? i now have a 1993 mitisusbi here in indiana that i drive on aregular basis. good on gas 37 mpg at 45 mph no problem with plates and tag last year now there starting to balk at plateing ones this year. kinda gripes me cause i bought mine to save money im still on the road so far mine is stock except for 13 in. tires i also am a hunter and found a lot of offroad places down there later max e.

4. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

We can't plate them here in SC, but I may try to get something passed next legislative session. Plenty of places to go wheelin! Went to coal creek back in march, that place is awesome and I can't wait to go back. That's a drag they may take your plates away. esp with the gas mileage they get. Post some pics when you can, Greg

5. USMCSKI

USMCSKI New Member

Volkswagon50....just for your information the hatfield mccoy trails do not allow mini trucks but the trail systems are surrounded by what is called the outlaw trails....I dont see why you couldnt use one on them.
    Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]