1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has anyone titled or taged one of these trucks in tennessee

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by eric's lefty, Mar 13, 2008.

1. eric's lefty

eric's lefty New Member

Was wonderin if there was a way to tag these trucks in tn i have seen a few on the road with tags but didnt know how they done it

2. Dan

Dan Member

Check with your local dmv or look for info on LSV registration in their website. I registered a few different low-speed-vehicles here and had to jump through hoops to get it done. there were a few inspection forms and some red tape but got plates on them eventually. tried to get the kei's on the road with no luck here. just golf cart style units were allowed.

3. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Hey Dan,
    Try "putin" a golf bag carrier on/in the bed and take'n it down to the DMV??!!

4. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

This has been a topic in the past regarding Tennesee. At current, Tennessee will NOT build titles, and register these trucks. Your best bet would be to inquire with your DMV about titling one already done in another state.

5. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Doesn't the interest in titling mini trucks imply the absence of speed limiters? Is there a point in registering for road use a vehicle that cannot go more than 25 mph?

Samurai

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Mine was imported with the speed limiter in place. Mine no longer has said speed limiter, and is titled and registered for legal on road use here in TX.

7. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Some States (Arizona as an example) have laws for limited road use of ATV's/Golf Carts for on road use. There is a bill in place to have these vehicles included for limited use. I had a CB125 Honda motorcycle registered at one time in California which was restricted from being driven on the Freeway. Each state has certain restrictions/use of vehicles. I.E. slow moving vehicles, farm equipment, atv's, golf carts, etc...

In reference to rev limiteres, how in the heck can you get close to 25 mph with only first gear. At 20KM it sounds like it is going to explode. They should have allowed for 1st/2nd. Most people would probably be able to live with that for around the farm.

8. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

9. eric's lefty

eric's lefty New Member

hey

what is the lsv and is there a state close to tn that will reg these trucks

10. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Low Speed Vehicle

11. Governor11

Governor11 New Member

You can get it titled in Mississippi. I drive mine to work everyday, tagged, inspection sticker, liability insurance.

You have to have an application for title, Bill of Sale, Title Bond which can be got from your vehicle insurance carrier, take it to Jackson to the MBI so they can verify paperwork and check vin, then you can get a tag, insurance and inspection sticker. Title Bond fee is 1.5 percent of purchase price, insurance on 96 mits is $144.00 every 6 months, tag is $26.00.

12. slyhippo

slyhippo New Member

Eric, I live in Middle Tennessee and here's the info I have from a current Mini dealer who has one tagged for himself. He said that up until 4 or 5 months ago there wasn't really a problem getting them titled, but someone somewhere messed that up and now you need to have a truck already titled in order to get a plate for it. I however talked to a guy in southern Kentucky the other day who sells them, and he said he sold one to a lady in TN, and she emailed him saying she got it titled and tagged. So I think TN is one of those iffy states right now. I am looking at a titled, 2wd Hijet right now. The only reason I haven't gotten it yet is because I'm waiting to find out for sure if I can get it tagged. Hope what I said helped a little. Let me know how it goes.

13. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I don't think the kei trucks could be titled as a matter of course as low speed vehicles because of the gas engine and high max speed although some have slipped by. But now TN has a new medium speed vehicle law that includes gas vehicles. Owners of kei trucks in TN should try to get them registered under this new law. I predict that some will be allowed. There will be resistance because of their importation only for off-road, lack of VIN number, federal safety issues, and ability to go over 35 mph. With a little luck and a friendly clerk, however, I think it can happen.

Sam