1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Anyone Done A Coilover Conversion Or Longtravel Kit For The Kei?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by R.E101, May 24, 2009.

1. R.E101

R.E101 Member

I just bought a hijet and the front end need some work. The struts are shot the has 3"+ lift on and cv boots are destroyed probably need rebuilt all together. Before I tackle it I would like to see my options. Coil spacer lift is not an option cause I want the thing to ride good. Ive searched and searched and have not been able to find anything that is done right. I saw a coilover on extreme lifts I think but there products dont have the best rewiews. I saw a truck built by Icon vehicle dynamics and that is they type of setup i would like but i have not been able to find any specific part #s or anything. Has anyone ever fabbed anything along these longs? Thanks in advance....

2. mitsu911

mitsu911 Member

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

FWIW i'm very heavily involved in the jeeping comunity. those revolver shackles are the biggest waste of time and resources. even rock crawlers think they are absolute crap. they go over center and collapse on you. (i'm an avid rock crawler but run coil springs not leaf springs)

the revolver shackle is (poorly) designed to give better articulation at full droop (suspension extension) and at full stuff (suspension compression). this is all based on the fact that the leaf spring, having two parallel pivot points, will not allow the axle to articulate as wells as a coil sprung (or coil overs for that matter) suspension system will. the matter of articulation typically comes into play when you have the SOA (spring over axle) suspension with a minimum of 4" of lift or so.

i see a lot of jeeps that are "mall crawlers" they are just concerend with how much height they have not about the performance on the trail or rocks. the teraflex revolver shackle is a gimmick at best. like i said it has more flaws than benefits.

if you are looking for some lift just build or buy a simple set of shackles for your desired amount of lift, but save your money on the revolvers and put it towards something that works.

4. wayno101

wayno101 New Member

been looking for a long travel kit also. Only one I have came across is in Japan by company called 4x4 prostaff they build some really insane trucks, deck vans, and vans, up to 35" tires on one with portal axles on it real cool stuff but can't find where to get it in the US

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

3-inch lift is pretty much the limit, unless you start dropping the front differential support. and that has it’s own issues.

The left half shaft, is very short, and you can’t really lift them much with out getting too extreme of angles for the CV Joints to survive. I think the front suspension travel on the stock trucks is about the max the CVs will reliably tolerate. Things were designed to work together.

All of the trucks I have seen with really tall tires have completely redone the suspension and gone to either straight or portal axles. You could probably get suitable axles out of the Suzuki Jimny, or similarly styled kei class derived vehicles. Or shorten the venerable Dana 44 out of the classic jeeps, but they are getting rare.