1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harvest in Japan

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Stuff99, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

2. Actually, I believe that is a machine used to harvest research plots. About 30 years ago, I worked at the LSU Rice Research Station in Crowley, Louisiana, and there was a machine similar to that on the research station.

If you notice the greenhouses in the background, it reminds me of the station I worked at where they have small field plots along with greenhouses for doing research.

Also, if you notice, all the rice plants are laying flat on the ground, or 'lodged'. This is not something that is normal in commercially grown rice, because it's too difficult to get it off the ground at harvest, and it will cause loss of quality very quickly.

Here in the United States, rice is harvested with the same machines used to harvest wheat or soybeans.

http://youtu.be/sIQj2e3OsfQ

3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I was trying to find a video of something that looked like the super high speed haybine that they use to cut the hay on our hayfield but I found THIS instead...sort of mini truck related. :D

This is sort like it but honestly looks slower than what they use on our field. My jaw dropped the first time I saw them do it. I've got to get a video one of these days.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member