1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gung HO Mini Trucks in Michigan has 2007 models

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by emshaferii, Jul 20, 2007.

1. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Here is a link to an EPA Enforcement Alert newsletter from Sept. 2006.

http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/newsletters/civil/enfalert/nonroadengines-0609.pdf

There is a table on page 2 that states the information you are looking for, which says large gas engines over 25 Hp (such as forklifts, generators, mini-vehicles) must have EPA certified engines beginning in model year 2004. So 2003 models are the newest trucks allowed by EPA. I verified this with a phone call to the EPA office in Seattle about a month ago. Hope that helps.

-Hiram

2. Hi Hiram,
    As a lot of these vehicles are brought in as special purpose all terrain/off road vehicles I think they fit recreational vehicle category and it starts at 2006, that's probably why they are able to get in so many late model vehicles

3. Cavvietta

Cavvietta Guest

Thats some sales pitch you have Minibrutes
    " I'm the highest price dealer in Canada but I have good service." :rolleyes:

Sounds like your servicing your customers alright.

I think my comments are well justified guy jacks the prices up on his truck 2500-3000 each. Most people make 600-800 on each truck they sell.
    Don't think ill be purchasing anything from him any time soon or you for that matter.
    No I don't work for free but I also don't give the money I earn away easily either.

4. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

I would think they should be able to fit in the recreational vehicle category, but the guy I spoke with at EPA did tell me that 2003 was the newest mini truck allowed without an EPA certified engine. He was familiar with them, and went on to tell me a lot of folks have been removing the speed limiters and trying to get them licensed for road use (which he reminded me was against the law). One other comment of some use, he said they should have a label on them somewhere that says "nonroad vehicle", which I see many out labeled with something to that effect.

You know, it's quite a process trying to find someone who can give you a definite answer. I had to call several different numbers before finding the "right person" to talk to. It's no wonder there is so much confusion at the ports with the inspectors because none of these agencies seem to have good communication within their own offices, let alone with different agencies. But I suppose the dealers will keep having to go with the flow and learn the rules as they are made up while playing the game. Good luck everyone! :D
    -Hiram

5. All of ours come in with stickers on the dash that says " These vehicles are speed limited and for non road use".

6. gbrad

gbrad Member

Cavvietta,

I was just curious how you arrive at the idea that "most guys make $600.00 to $800.00?" And I guess the idea that you should be arbitrating what is a fair profit and what is not. After Gung Ho's true expenses are deducted he may only be clearing $400.00 per truck. I don't know. I just know that the true cost of doing business is not known by most who are not actually in business themselves.

The truth is that if you do not add several thousand to the flat price of one of these trucks you will not make any money.

A lot of people are jumping into this business buying one or two containers mainly for themselves and their freinds. If they make $600.00 over the cost of the truck then they consider that profit. In reality it still doesn't cover their true costs. There is a tremendous difference between a person who does this as a hobby or sideline and the full time dealer who may receive several containers per month.

Overhead expenses, both fixed and variable are very seldom defined properly by the inexperienced business person. This one mistake leads to under pricing of whatever your product may be and the result is that the dealer is out of business about a year before he himself finds that out. In other words the whiplash of under priced merchandise is not
    immediately visible.

I would think that anyone with an overhead such as that of Gung Ho's would be priced the same way if they had any hopes of staying in business. I visit Gung Ho's site quite often and I see very reasonably priced vehicles.

I don't have any connection with Gung Ho or any other dealer on this board. So no ax to grind. I just get a little frustrated when people throw rocks at someone when they may not have the full story.

Sorry for the rant, and I do apologize if I've stepped on your feelings, but the doctrine of "laissez faire" defiinitely applies here. So caveat emptor.

gbrad

7. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Looks like gbrad has some business sense, Cavvietta obviously not.

Our overhead is about $30K a month. At $600 a truck, Thats 50 trucks a month to break even. We arent in business to break even. Profit is not a dirty word, and is a nescessity in business.

Our particular economy is quite different than a lot in the USA. You can make $15/hr with no experience at the fast-lube place. $12/hr just to work the counter at McDonalds. Average houseing price is nearly $300K. You cant get any place decent to rent for under $900 a month. Our fuel is over $1.40 a litre for premium, over $1.30 for regular.

50 trucks is a LOT. Thats more than 2 per business day. In a trading area of 250,000 people, it don't happen.

Also, our trucks come with warranty. Because we cannot completely detect all problems, we give the customer some comfort in that department. You can eat $600 in repairs pretty **** fast.

Also, up here in Canada, you have to be a licensed and bonded automobile dealer to sell these. You cannot do them on the side or on your farm. Will get fined and charged with "curbing". This all costs and costs and costs.

gbrad is right. People selling for $600 over are not actually in business. If they are, they likely wont be for long. (If this is all they do, but of course, a lot are farmers who actually have another form of income. i guess I could raise cows on the side and sell them for $20 over since I am not actually in the cow business.)

Anyhow, this forum is not really to discuss business operations, P/L, overhead, expenses, marketing or otherwise.

This is about Gung Ho's selection of newer trucks. If you want to bash someones prices or business practices, especially considering you havent even used their services, I suggest you do it somewhere else off this forum.

Its a free world. You dont have to buy from them (or me) and guess what, even if you wanted to, we dont have an obligation to sell to you. So its pretty even. We walk people like yourself every single day, as you are not the type of customer we want.

I suggest since you are so smart that you quit your normal job, get into the minitruck gig full-bore and put the rest of us out of business.

Jeremy

8. persona non grata

persona non grata New Member

I was referring to Indian, Chinese and US built mini-trucks that have been discussed in this thread. Until stumbling on this topic I thought we only had Japanese trucks to choose from. As a dealer you'll definetelly know more about the selection available. I.e. have any of these trucks made it to Canada?

Lots of cool stuff available in the US, not in Canada. Even something as legit as a Honda scooter I was considering buying before, was available in the US for three years before coming to Canada! That's brand new, not used, and our government didn't allow any used ones to be imported either... :D

9. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Ahhh. OK.

Well no, none of those here. We have had some discussions with Transport Canada on other units. (As off road only, similar to our Southern neighbors) Of course, trying to do anything with the government is frustrating at the least. They are extremely hard to deal with, and no one wants to give you the proper information. Its a run-around every time we call, and no one seems to be too terribly interested in helping.

Again, some of these units may make it to Canada at some point, but they will be off road only when they do come. (Unless they are street legal in the USA, then we may have hope. )

We could get Chinese units new for off-road use, but I used to work for Panterra motorcycles Canada, and the Chinese product leaves a lot to be desired in quality. Again, most people prefer the used Japanese units for quality, and the fact we can drive them on the road. Thats the huge advantage we have over the Americans. Road legal in all provinces!

At this point we have decided to stop persuing other products for possible importation. We will specialize in the Japanese trucks until the point of time comes where we have 100 trucks on the ground, serviced and ready to go. Then we may re-evaluate other avenues. We have also decided to stop importing the sports cars we used to do to concentrate on the trucks. (We just got a load of cars in Friday, and thats the last one, other than customer special-order units) We will however still be bringing in the larger commercial trucks, as they go well with the minitrucks and offer more room and better highway travel. Plus, where else can you get a 1.5 metric ton capacity truck that gets nearly 40MPG? Not from the "regular" dealers!

10. glenn

glenn Member

11. andy_george

andy_george Member

As I stated earlier in this thread, I bought my truck from Gung-Ho trucks, and have no regrets. They are good guys, with a clean and organized lot and shop, and a nice office. Not to mention a ton of trucks to choose from. The buyer determines the value of the trucks, not the seller.

-Andy

12. gbrad

gbrad Member

Hey Glenn,

I sure like that math explanation.

gbrad

13. Cavvietta

Cavvietta Guest

Lol I love the ma n pa kettle video !!

I read through all these posts and all i have to say to minibruts and gbrad is.
    " Do you really believe the crap that is coming out of your mouth ?"

I'm not selling them for a living but if this one I purchased works out for my needs (Ranching) after I modify it so it can be used for an atv (stock they are not atv vehicles). I will probably be purchasing 1 per year. Also I have had some of my neighbors and a friend who has a logging company ask me about this one. So I may be purchasing modifying and reselling a few. So lets say I purchase 2,3 or 4 per year.

Are you telling me I should purchase them from you who is trying to make a couple thousand each to meet your overhead because you have a nice shop and a wide selection.
    When you can buy them on ebay or from smaller operators all day long for 1500 less.
    That makes perfect buisness sense to me :rolleyes:

Hell Gbrad and Minibrutes why stop at 2k mark up, why not 5 or 10k build a bigger shop and stock a larger inventory?

I would be happy to purchase a couple of atv's that aren't atv's worth 4-5k for 10-20k.
    Then put another 3k into them to modify them so they are an off road vehicle.(3000 covers parts and my labor for modifications done right)

Thats makes perfect buisness sense I am so stupid what was I thinking !
    Sounds like I really got screwed on this one I bought for 4200 dollars I could have payed 5500 - 20,000 for it.
    I'm returning it right now and ordering one from you minibrutes.
    Tell me after I purchase one from you how much will it cost me to get it here I think I'm about 700+ miles from you?
    Funny I have been running multiple buisnesses since I was 19 years old and I have no buisness sense. I must be a complete moron.

14. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

I told you, I wouldnt sell to you.
    Not even for $20K profit. There are just some customers you dont want to have.

By not having the cheap trucks, we eliminate most of those customers. Like I said, if price is your only concern, then you did well for yourself. But, to buy a truck for that price in Canada, you would have to buy it from some farmer selling them illegally without a license. And therefore you risk having your truck seized when he gets caught.

And now you are going to "resell a few". I see. So then you are taking the same truck you bought and marking it up? Whoa. Back this train up a second. Doesnt that mean you are going to be doing exactly what you say we are doing? You want to get paid for your time and effort? Holy cow, what a revelation. So you DO want to be a dealer. Honestly then, you should forget wherever you are getting your trucks from now and order containers direct from Japan.

Like I mentioned earlier, The US and Canadian markets are very very different. Plus we have to do extra work to them to be street legal. (Which ours are)

So again, you are simply looking at the price and nothing else.

I am not giving you a sales pitch. I was telling you that you have no right to bitch about someones price, product or service considering you have not bought anything from them.

I dont shop at costco. They are usually the cheapest around here, but also mostly full of staff that havent got a clue.

There are different kinds of places to shop, and there are different kinds of customers. Ebay, yes, thats TOTALLY the same thing as buying from any sort of dealer. Again, in Canada, selling on ebay for profit without a license is illegal.

As a rancher, do you sell your livestock to the lowest bidder?

But since you didnt apologize for calling me names in the other thread, I will no longer continue these discussions with you in any way, as name calling is a pretty childish thing to do for such a smart adult. It certainly does not add any credibilty to you or your statements.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  15. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Well put. We don't have to all agree but please keep the level of discourse civil and mature.

Also, this thread is specifically about Gung Ho and late model trucks. Let's keep it on topic, please.

16. gbrad

gbrad Member

Hi Cavvietta,

My point is precisely that a profit margin will never be the same for any two businesses even if they sell the same product in the same condition.

Each buyer may decide if a certain seller is offering features or benefits that may be attractive to that buyer.

You did make statements that seemed to demean Gung Ho for his pricing strategy. Why should I or anyone adhere to your idea of what is proper or not as far as pricing or profit. Gung Ho is trying to make a living just like you and I and everyone else.

You were hammering on someone about their pricing with no reality behind your argument.

Once again, I apologize if I stepped on your feelings, but I don't want anypart of a communist price control scheme. I'll take my chances on being an educated consumer. A higher price does not make someone a bad person who is out to take advantage.

If you were saying that in your opinion his prices are too high, then that's acceptable. That's not the way I read your post.

gbrad

17. glenn

glenn Member

Comrades.....

Andy george has the right idea...nothing wrong with gung ho and if people are buy'n from them.....good for them!

Jeremy, ever try the calming waters of little lake manitou? life is too short to get upset

gbrad & cavviette......glad you enjoyed the math lesson........

opinions abound, prices vary, different markets have different prices and I don't care too much for walmart...but some people do so who am I to argue?

Freedom comes in many ways.....

Thank a person in the armed forces for our freedom and a Teacher if you can read this.......
    here's another old'y.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WMi5TUJDso&feature=related
    Btw...that's shemp in the background...enjoy.......

glenn

18. Cavvietta

Cavvietta Guest

I think you are forgetting something

I think you guys are forgetting something Im not selling minitrucks.
    I'm not in the buisness of selling mini trucks and don't want to sell them for a living.
    I am however a consumer/customer I have purchased one truck if I am happy with the truck I will promote them and purchase more later.
    The other thing you are forgetting is that you can not under any circumstances drive these on the highway.
    So your customer base in the US is going to be guys like me ranchers, farmers, loggers, ect. There are some recreational uses for them like hunters campers ect.
    My feeling as a customer " the customer is always right" is that the 5k price range plus the 2 to 3 k to fix one up for off road use is a good deal.
    Thats about 7-8k about the cost of a new 4 wheeler and about 2-3k less than a ranger, mule, rhino.
    When I first saw these little trucks the price is what got my attention.
    If I would have looked at these trucks and they were priced about the same as the ranger, mule, rhino ect. I wouldn't have given them a second look I would have purchases a mule or a ranger.
    I don't think I am alone the neighbors here that have seen it laugh at it at first then when I tell them what I paid for it they seem interested in getting one for themselves. " That is the gods honest truth!"

I received a warning notice from the forum for calling you a moron.
    I apologize for saying that .

What I meant to say is what you are saying is moronic !!

19. Just out of curiousity...have you done a lbs/sq in calculation?

I use a JD GATOR for this reason...that I can go into fields without RUTTING THE HECK out of them...:D

20. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

I didn't read every post, but got the drift. After being in the retail auto business for 39 years, It's NOT just price. More importantly it's service after the sale. A dealer, merchant ,or whoever that invests time and money to provide an item for sale is entitled to a profit. They're are those "car dealers" out there that "prostitute" the market. Selling at "invoice/ triple net" (less holdback,less advertising,less dealer participation). BUT, when it comes to "servicing" what they sell...................GOOD LUCK!!!! Anyway, What's a good deal? When both the dealer and the customer are happy. When value received exceeds monies spent.
    Tmikewww
    (tom)

21. dwink

dwink Member

Cavvietta,
    You are correct for saying that the price is what attracts many people to the mini truck market. Most of the people out there are looking for the "$4000 to $4500 truck, but there are others who can and will pay more for cleaner, newer trucks from dealers they feel are trustworthy. The biggest weakness in the market is service and parts after the sale. For this reason, many dealers have set up business plans that allow them to better service customers by stocking a larger inventory with more parts, which costs more $$$. The opinion you hold about what the trucks should cost is good and we are lucky to live in a country where we are allowed to have different opinions. But for the sake of a cool forum that exists for good information, please do not drag specific dealers down unless you first hand know of any kind of "shady" practices.

22. glenn

glenn Member

well put tom!

cavvietta, ease up on the saddle....lol

price should be something that you are willing to pay for a truck....if you don't like the price...try someone else eh? freedom is wonderful! we are all friends here just talking about our little trucks..... I enjoy driving my truck around....too bad that your government will not let you drive them on the roads like up here....hope it changes for you guys eh?....btw....our truck is priceless for the exposure and advertising....I get a kick out of all the people who stop and stare, point, laugh, take pictures and remember to call us when they need some glass....you can see the truck on "introductions....greetings from T.O."
    One guy stops at the lights beside me and rolls his window to say " I wish I had that thing...I just gassed up....$100 bucks....jeez" Got any funny stories from driving your truck?
    not intended for anyone in particular but just remember the old say'n "we are all children of God, just some are a little more childish than others"

Best Regards, glenn:D

23. gbrad

gbrad Member

Yeah, my main concern which I probably was not clear on was to bad mouth a dealer without direct knowledge.

Truthfully, that could cost Gung Ho one or more sales if someone in his area read that post and beleived it or just took it at face value. That's food off of his table.

I don't know Gung Ho. I would take up for anyone in that regard, competitor or not.

I do know that after owning my own business for 28 years that my reputation is my single most important asset. For someone to make statements that imply that I was way over priced or taking advantage of customers is certainly damaging and can lead to lost sales. Especially if the statement was made by someone who had never done business with me.

I've said enough and harbor no bad feelings.

24. vowell14

vowell14 New Member

i have brought two from them and are very happy. i drove from mississippi to pick mine up. they were every thing bob said. i would do business again gilbert

25. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I stopped in and talked to the people at Gung-Ho the otherday. Pleasant people for sure. They are long time used car people, got into mini-trucks a couple of years ago when the used car business went south.

The two 2007 minitrucks that are sitting there, are without engine/trans and steering column. I was told the engines are out being "tested". The trucks had "0" miles.

It's my thought they are getting the trucks EPA tested and are expecting to be a Certified inporter in late model units. That was my impression after I was told they would be having exclusive sales agreements soon.

It just makes sense. you want newer vehicles and the EPA says they must pass certain emission standards. You have 2 tested, determine what is needed to conform, and then be the person that is certified to import.

It sounds like just good business sense.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  26. Gung-ho is irrelevant to me, this thread was about how new a truck you can bring in and we just had a 2005 Dihatsu dump come in with no problems. My clearing agent said it's based on engine size and classification not year, customs looked at this container and found no problems :)

27. ATVtruck.com

ATVtruck.com New Member

Someone removed my post about how to bring in brand new trucks. I guess I told someones secret. Sorry for letting the cat out.

28. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Must have been digging into someones pocket. I didn't know that is was against forum rules to talk about bringing in parts trucks. Maybe we need a sticky for that :rolleyes:.

-Greg

29. glenn

glenn Member