1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gung HO Mini Trucks in Michigan has 2007 models

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by emshaferii, Jul 20, 2007.

1. emshaferii

emshaferii New Member

2. JPPA

JPPA New Member

I am new to this page, just saw my first mini truck yesterday while searching for a Ranger/Rhino. I am very interested in these trucks but am very cautious about all this information I have obtained. I saw this same web site and was interested in one of the newer trucks. Did anyone ever do business with this company, just wanted some feedback, thanks.

3. Titan Mini Trucks

Titan Mini Trucks New Member

I don't know. I understood that it was against EPA regulationsl to import anything less than 7 years old. After what we went through with customs doing it by the book, I wouldn't want to try getting any trucks that new. The day our last load arrived, Customs refused three containers because they did not have speed limiters. I sure am glad that they weren't ours.

4. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

He might be getting them from an exporter like me who can buy them at the Japanese auctions. We see 2007 models with nearly zero kms on them.

5. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Wow, we install limiters on all our trucks!

6. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

You are exactly correct. A brand new truck would be illegal to import to the US. Don't buy one as it will probably get deported soon.

7. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

i guess my question would be why is it illegal to import a nearly new one? We only have a Chinese company selling them brand new here in the states, complete with airbags, A/C and governors.

8. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Because the Chinese have built their vehicles to meet US standards for safety and emissions, The Japanese have not. New vehicles that are intended to export to the US, must meet strict US requirements. These requirements are sometimes impossible or impractical for the manufacturers to meet.

Mahindra is also working on importing a turbo diesel mini truck. These are made in India. I understand the guy that is working on getting them imported is having a hard time, but is vigilant. I hope he gets it done, will be something I would be interested in selling.

More info:
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3842

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  9. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Interesting article.

On the original subject. All of the odd lines drawn in the sand regarding our minitrucks only serves to make me wonder how much crack the pundits in office are smoking on any given day.

On one hand, our minitrucks are sold as off road only BECAUSE they do not meet safety and emissions standards for on highway vehicles. Fine. The Chinese manufacturer IS being allowed to sell new trucks here, because they DO meet safety and emissions standards for on highway vehicles, but are STILL being governed to 25 mph, and being sold as off road only. Strange. 7 year old and NEWER Japanese minitrucks are NOT allowed to be sold here for ANY use - on or off road - because they do NOT meet the same on highway vehicle safety and emissions standards that the older ones fail to meet, that ARE allowed to be imported. I think I'm starting to get a headache.

I don't think inept even BEGINS to describe the morons in office. :mad:

10. Colin

Colin Member

What he said.

11. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Ditto man!

12. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Wolf, Where did you find out the Chinese vehicles were being limited to 25MPH?

13. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  14. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

OK, When you read thru the website. You will see that these Chinese made trucks are actually being built in Oklahoma and that 80% of the are going to be exported to other countries. They will be building a truck that is street legal in the US but it will be a medium duty truck.

The small ones do not meet EPA standards for on-road vehicles.
    Here is what the emission decal says that will be one each of these trucks.

THIS ENGINE CONFORMS TO 2006 AND LATER CALIFORNIA ENGINE EMISSION REGULATIONS FOR OFF-ROAD LARGE SI ENGINES

So these vehicles are limited just like the Japanese trucks.

15. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I don't know where you found that bit of info, but it clears up the mud a bit.

16. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Yea, Clear as mud, I know what you mean....I agree that the laws do not make sense, but they are the law, until we can get them changed.

BTW, I got that info from the website you listed in this thread.

17. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

To bad none of us were super rich lawyers. Porsche had a problem with the 959 getting into the US because they did not want to crash test them, and now they are on a special list that allows them in only because of the rich farts that drive them had their hands in the right pockets.
    Its not what you know, its who you know and how much money you have.
    Good 'ol politics,
    -mark

18. Cape Ape

Cape Ape Member

chinese trucks

We have sold Mag INTL trucks which are also from China. They are also speed limited, but through the EFI system. www.maginternationalinc.com

19. According to U.S. Customs

2003 is the newest model legally allowed into the country this year. Many are getting by only because Customs is not opening their container. Those who have contacts to order from an exporter should be careful. 2004 year models, automatics and 4-doors are not allowed. If your container gets opened you will pay storage charges and freight to export it back to Japan! It's been happening.

20. I know this is a little older thread, but does anyone have any first hand experience with these trucks? I might have a line on several of them in the near future and was wondering what people's experiences were with them. They look almost identical to the Japanese versions, but are left hand drive. I haven't had a chance to inspect them up close so i don't have any details.

Just wondering if it was worth taking a look/chance on a few.

21. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=198&highlight=tiger

22. ABC-
    Thanks for the link. I forgot about that thread being out there. I knew I had read about them somewhere else!

23. buyargo

buyargo New Member

24. andy_george

andy_george Member

I bought my truck in early January from Gung-Ho trucks. I say it's a great place to buy a truck. They have a good selection, are great guys (actually a friend of a friend), and seem to work some pretty decent deals.

As far as legality of what they do or the nonsense laws they must follow, that's not my specialty. I had heard that people couldn't import trucks without limiters, that were too new, had four doors, etc. So how did I get my 2005 Minicab van with 5 doors, an automatic, and no limiter? I'm not sure, but I feel really lucky because it's the *exact* vehicle I was looking for.

Laws are laws, and breaking them can have consequences. When I bought my van, Gung-Ho had 2 others, and since then haven't gotten any other vans. Maybe they've decided it's not worth the risk, I dunno. But the fear of them not getting anymore is exactly why I got mine when I did. They had a product I wanted, and buying it was worth any risk on my part.

On a side note, I hear most people say that these trucks don't meet emissions. In actuality, I think it's much more truthful that they simply haven't been tested by the epa, not that they don't pass. I'm decently mechanical, and have yet to see a late model quality Japanese motor that wouldn't blow the doors off any Briggs and Stratton, or any 2 stroke(which are almost done, I admit) ever built when it comes to emissions.

This is straight from Mitsubishi's website regarding the 2004-on minicabs:

"All models in the new series are powered by Mitsubishi's New Leanburn MVV*1 engine. Returning outstanding mileage and tuned to deliver optimum power and torque characteristics in the practical working range, this eco-friendly engine realizes a major reduction in CO2 emissions and uses an improved catalytic converter to significantly reduce NOx emissions."

As many people here have stated, there is nothing wrong with the safety of these vehicles, personal or environmental, it's just that no one high enough in politics has bothered to take a look and see that they make perfect sense for our culture, at this time, in certain circumstances.

Phew...

-Andy

25. dwink

dwink Member

I have heard they are cracking down on importation of certain vehicles. There are certain people on this forum that need to lighten up about federal regulations on these vehicles. We all know the regulations and do not need them repeated to us every time their scitzophrenia starts acting up! I heard the feds are putting a budget together to purchase some black escalades with dark windows so they may go around secretly to confiscate mini trucks.

26. gbrad

gbrad Member

10-4 dwink,

I don't want to break those laws or take chances on confiscation, but the truth is some guys are continuosly importing the so-called "not allowed trucks".

It's just a reality. Will they be raided? I dunno, but I don't see why the comments about this issue, when it is the truth, should be met with such consternation.

I do not think I've ever seen anyone condone the practice on this board. So why freak out? If it has personnaly happened to someone and cost them a great deal of money I can see that they would have personal feelings about it, but to shut down conversation on the topic???

The fact remains, some guys continue to import those trucks. I don't know why they get away with it. So far they just do. It's just a fact.

gbrad

27. Cavvietta

Cavvietta Guest

I checked out the website has a nice selection and some of the newest trucks I have seen in US no idea about his reputation.

One thing I noticed is some of the older models are over priced by 1000-1500 dollars. I am guessing that the newer models are overpriced similarly.:sly:

He also advertises free shipping it costs about 600-800 to ship one and he has them overpriced by 1000-1500 ?

Do the math it might give you an insight to what kind of a person you are dealing with;)

28. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Overpriced? If people are buying, they are not overpriced. Also, he seems to have a very large selection. Most people have no where near that kind of inventory.

The problem is not that he is overpriced, its that most people are underpriced. I know I dont go to work everyday for free. How about you?

But then again, a lot of our customers bought their first truck from the underpriced guy, then when they cant get parts, service, calls back or otherwise, they then buy their next one from us and trade in the old one. (Don't make the same mistake twice)

The lowest price is hardly ever the best deal. Being used trucks, its very hard to compare apples to apples.

Your comments I feel are unjustified. Honestly, I feel that I am probably the highest priced dealer in Canada. But, again, we have the support that 90% of our canadian competitors dont have. If you want the absolute lowest price, dont call me either.

If I dont make money, the company cant grow. Stocking a large selection of parts isnt exactly an easy thing to do without massive capital. Same as parting out trucks. It may take years to recover these costs.

Anyhow, I say Way to Go GungHo! Keep up the good work in making the industry professional and legitimate.

29. persona non grata

persona non grata New Member

Minibrutes, is any of this fine brew available in Canada? Or is it just the Japanese trucks...

30. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Which brew is it you are speaking of? (I dont quite follow what you mean)