1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got the death wobble 40ish mph

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Cody530, Dec 23, 2022.

1. Cody530

Cody530 Member

I got a case of the death wobble on my 1997 suzuki carry probably gonna just start replacing everything but any help would be appreciated. Just got it aligned toe was off but even setting it straight didn't help. BTW when I say death wobble I don't been shaking I mean omg hold on I'll toss up some pics see what you guys think.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

You could just start replacing everything. I’d get a dial indicator and start looking for what is loose. You can get a decent one at Harbor freight, with a vice grip style mount which would be good for checking suspension and steering components, for about $40.

With the cost and availability of Kei truck parts, I think iit would be $40 well spent.

3. Cody530

Cody530 Member

These were bone dry before the death wobble. I checked and checked I didn’t find any play but I did notice the steering drag hand play in it and was not just going left to right but also had some pitch I tired tightening it but still had that pitch.

Attached Files:

4. Minitruckin93

Minitruckin93 New Member

I have a Honda acty that had a wobble at around 40 and above. Replaced the rubber bushings on the rod that goes from the lower control arm forward to the body. Found a Moog replacement part on Amazon, cost about $30 and took about 30 minutes to install. Shake went away and had a noticeable improvement in handling, especially in corners. Not sure about the Suzuki but I imagine it’s a similar setup.

5. Cody530

Cody530 Member

Funny I just came across them searching around on youtube and ordered a set along with new struts/250lbs spring turns out the old struts were completely dead probably not helping.

6. Minitruckin93

Minitruckin93 New Member

Nice. I also installed some 250 lb springs. Saw a huge improvement in ride quality over stock springs, raised the front around an inch too.

7. Kirk B

Kirk B Member

Mine also a very bad wobble.How much is your life worth??? Replaced every bushings ,tie rods lower ball joints,etc. I figured my life was worth it.wobbing across a 4 lane of heavy traffic no one paying any attention to you. Worth it.

Limestone likes this.
  8. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Biggest culprit is the steering yolk bushing, followed by all the tierod ends, worn shocks or shock mount bearing, and last would be the ball joints. I did the steering yolk bushing and it fixed my van up. Still has loose tierods but the ball joints seem solid as do the torsion rod that positions the lower control arm. Looks like your tierods might be history tho.

9. Cody530

Cody530 Member

So I decided to just replace everything turns out every shock on the truck was 100% dead so I'm sure that played a huge role in not absorbing anything. ps the steering bushing was a huge pain.

Drain likes this.
  10. Cody530

Cody530 Member

One side down.

Attached Files:

11. Cody530

Cody530 Member

Proud to say no more death wobble. Although the new springs did lift the front end a bit now. I’m thinking I should bring the rear up a bit anyone know where to find some shackles I’m only seeing whole kits?

Attached Files:

Limestone likes this.
  12. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Careful raising the rear up too much and returning your castor angle back to it's previous setting as this may have some effect on your 'death wobble'. Just FYI.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  13. Cody530

Cody530 Member

I'm definitely taking it in for a alignment as soon as I get the rear shackles on I ended up getting 1inch longer then stock shackles for a samurai 103mm so they should give me a tad over a inch.

Limestone likes this.