1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good deal? What do I need to look for?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Robunderwood, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Robunderwood

Robunderwood New Member

I found a 1991 daihatsu 4x4. It has 96000 kilometers. Runs good, no rust, and everything works. Has new road tires but is not lifted. It does not have a dump or any special mods. The only things wrong with it are rips in one of the seats and it is missing the dipstick. A belt came off and it pulled the dipstick out. I think I can buy for $3000. Is this a good deal? Will the dipstick be pricey and what should I look for in this truck? I am a bit worried about the age. Is this model prone to any problems? Any info would be greatly appreciated before I make the 260 mile trip to get it.

Thanks!

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I would chech and see if it's a smoker. Blue smoke/white smoke pass on it.
    Listen to the motor and any loud ticking noise
    Would be a concern. That early Daihatsu will be a S83P, those are my favorite trucks. Those trucks when putting it in 4x4 you can watch it lock in the front drive on the diff.
    The oil stick being gone is not a worry the worry is how long. was it driven with it gone. Was it driven without oil for a time.
    If it runs ok, drives ok, shifts ok, 4x4 works, no smoke I would roll the dice. S83's are tough little trucks.

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Oh, with that old of a truck you may some some vacuum lines beginning to get weak or cracked. If it's the climber model it will have a Super Diff. Lock switch next to your right knee dash drivers side. That's a good added option(posi track rear end).
    I am using a s83p climber 92 model over the Holiday's. I could be using a s110p super jumbo but I took the s83 because it has the rear diff. lock.

4. Robunderwood

Robunderwood New Member

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. I have been looking at these trucks for years, but have never been able to pull the trigger on one. I'm hoping this one is as nice as the guy says it is. He does not know alot about them; he bought it from a neighbor 5 years ago. I also found a nice 98 with a lift kit and AC. That guy wants $4500 for it, which is fair enough, but it has 90,000 kilometers and I thought for my first truck I would rather buy something a little cheaper and spend some time tinkering. I hope to go look at the 1991 tomorrow.

Thanks again for your response; I'm new to the forum and I love it!

5. Robunderwood

Robunderwood New Member

I got the 1991 Daihatsu yesterday. It runs good, but I am going to have to fix the front cv boots and I would like to lift it and put some nice wheels, tires, and maybe an FM radio if I can find one that fits. Needs a little TLC but not bad for $2800!

6. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

vacuum leaks are 85% of carb and idling problems, use a vacuum gauge or carb cleaner, carb cleaner will send the engine to high idle if you have a vacuum leak, make sure the vacuum port in the air cleaner canister is working properly, also check that your vacuum advance hose isn’t cracked coming off the distributor to the vacuum manifold tree. The vacuum manifold tree is brass on the bottom to go in to the block and plastic on top. Plastic wears out with time and will break or leak, which causes a vacuum leak. Some manifold vacuum trees are 3 or 4 port, make sure to replace it with a new one. When I buy parts I buy 3 at a time that way I have them on hand or in case they can’t get them any more. The vacuum manifold tree is located behind the carb. If you looking at the carb from the right side of the bed, it will be to your 1 O’clock tucked down inside. Remember to use a marker or different colored tape to mark the vacuum lines so you know where everything goes back too! Good luck!’:cool: