1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOLIATH...the drift Sambar BUILD THREAD

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by WELDER, Apr 13, 2010.

1. fupabox

fupabox Active Member

Yes and don't forget Morgan stil uses wood for it's frames...Colin Chapman used wood frames...Wood is good, used properly...Hmmm gotta explain that to the GF:)....keep it up.....er.....good work:):pop:

2. ccrn2

ccrn2 New Member

I am so jeleous! I would love to have something like that on mine. Only problem I would have is that it takes up the bed. I use mine a lot. Did you consider raising the bed or other Designs under the stock bed? I know it is really cramped under there. Just wondering. By the way, did I mention I was jealous! Hope you can feel the envy!! Great work.

3. WELDER

WELDER Member

Thanks ccrn2. I did consider an "under-bed" setup, but after running int the oil scavenging issue, the exhaust getting to the stack behind the cab and having a million 90 degree bends in the charge tubing (bad news), I decided that an in-box setup would do the trick. Installing a bod lift on the rear was not an option. I am firmly agaist body lifts and lift blocks int he 4x4 world, so a bit of that carried over. Also, I am aiming for a low COG.

I am thinking of a custom tonneau-style cover with a scoop in it :)

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I know! I full bed sized K&N filter and turn the whole thing into the world's largest airbox! :D

5. WELDER

WELDER Member

D*mn it Ace. I'll have to buy 50 cartridge style filters and build a sub frame for them to sit in.

OR

A sh*t-ton of furnace filters :p

6. WELDER

WELDER Member

Got the wiring done. It now starts, runs for a few secs then dies. I'll post up some more pics, and maybe a vid once I have it running nicely.

Wiring...

[​IMG]

This is about half of the wires in the harness.

[​IMG]

My way of organizing what was left to do.

[​IMG]

Injector wired up.

[​IMG]

After 5 hours of running my wire cutters/strippers/crimpers, I was both done, and suffering from a bad case of carpal-tunnel :D

7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Keep going, man! :)

8. DannyM

DannyM Member

Hey guys, this type of work is what the MINI TRUCKIN CHANNEL is looking for. Make videos (digital would be great) and submit them to Kevin. This way we can start putting things together for a show(s). All I would ask is you keep up with the suppliers ( for ad purposes) and cost expenditures and time of build for all our viewers. Thanks guys,

DANNYM

9. WELDER

WELDER Member

When the truck is finished, I'll send a bunch of video, specs, all that. But for now, I have to fix my DD. SO poor little Goliath is one the backburner for a few days:p

10. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

looking great man!

11. WELDER

WELDER Member

It is your guys with your compliments that keeps me going! :D

12. fupabox

fupabox Active Member

"It is your guys with your compliments that keeps me going! "

You look awful purdy in them jeans....oh wait , you mean comments about the build..keep up the good work:p

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  13. WELDER

WELDER Member

Hahaha.

Now I HAVE to get it done :p

14. WELDER

WELDER Member

Just a wee update:

I ran into a small issue with the stock fuel pump feeding the TBI. The stock pump is a "pump-on-demand" style thing, for the carb'd setup. With a fuel injection setup, I needed one that constantly pumps fuel, rather than a "vacuum activated" one. So I bought a new drag racing pump :D

Unfortunately, the engine is pumping out a lot of oil through the exhaust. I have no idea what the problem is, and it is a major hick-up in my plan. It could be a PCV valve that is stuck, worn valve guide seals, worn or blown piston rings, blown head gasket, etc.

On a positive note, I've decided to design and fab a tonneau cover, using 1/8" aluminum checker plate :pop:

I will finish the truck, so people, anyone know which sponsor will provide engine rebuild parts?

Thanks boys and girls. :D

15. renchjeep

renchjeep Member

WOW, nice build! Looking forward to hearing/seeing it run! One question, though. Do you find that crimp terminals are reliable enough to not only transmit the proper power, but also maintain integrity during hard use of the vehicle? There are a LOT of wires in your build, and I would imagine a bad connection on certain wires would cause a real problem. I love using crimp terminals for simple lighting connections, but I like to use solder terminals for more "sensitive" electronic connections. Recently, I have started using crimp terminals with heat-shrink ends for "simple" wiring, and they make me feel better about keeping a good, watertight, corrosion-free connection.

As I said, one BADASS build! Can't wait for the videos! Would like to hear your thoughts/experiences with crimp connectors, though.

16. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Good point, after a wiring failure on my old car I switched to soldering EVERYTHING because nothing sucks more than having to check every single one of your wiring connections when you get stranded somewhere. Better to do it right and solid the first time.

17. WELDER

WELDER Member

I couldn't agree more. I wanted to get it started before going any further with body modifications, and electrical setup. Afteri started a few times, I saved my setup in Megatune (Megasquirt tuning software), and befan hacking everything out. I am too cheap to buy the $300 heatshrink tubing kit, so I will use the same crimp connectors I used int he first stage of wiring, but slip a chunk of heatshrink over each one; which will help fight both corrosion and the wires pulling apart from vibration.

My battery is now going to be mounted in the box, behind the cab, ont he driver's side. This will make for a MUCH cleaner setup.

18. renchjeep

renchjeep Member

OK, cool;)! I just experienced an "available voltage" prob with my 94 Pontiac Bonneville. Had a "rebuilt" by NAPA alternator on my Bonnie for 2 years or so, and it never really charged like I would like to see. 12.8-13.1 volts. Recently, the alt failed altogether, and I replaced it with another NAPA unit, NEW this time, and my voltmeter now reads 13.8-14.2+! Driveability is much increased, and I no longer have the "dead spot" in the throttle, which I thought was a TPS problem. I had already replaced the TPS twice, and I was still getting TPS and EGR codes on the scanner. Next was the EGR, at a cost of $180.00! Available voltage-----like I was taught years ago----and promptly forgot----means a LOT to computers! Just food for thought.

Damn black boxes....................:(

19. fupabox

fupabox Active Member

That brings to mind a mod I have seen done but never tried..it's called "earthing" (honestly)..you run several good grounds from the neg battery terminal to all the important areas of your vehicle IE: ecu ground, alternator ground,main lighting,distributer, etc....supposedly the uninterupted grounding gives a better spark and allows the alternator to work better...seems plausible as most electrical faults are usually ground problems.... Only takes a few yards of 10 gauge wire and some time..I may give it a shot...
    Not trying to jack the thread but thought the info might be appreciated on your build with all the wiring.

20. WELDER

WELDER Member

No apology necessary, any and all tech is welcome in this thread.

I my entire electrical setup is "earthed" as you say. The battery acts as a capacitor, which smooths out the voltage. The injector for instance, doesn't do well with voltage drop, even though Mega Squirt does take care of some of this drop, the less the better.

Good info so far boys :D