1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Parts On Line, For That Matter Getting Anything ON Line

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by TRAX and HORNS, Sep 10, 2009.

1. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

FYI. A lot of you already know this, fairly new to me. I ordered a fuel filter for our 330i last week and saved 40.00 bucks on line and I saved 11.00 on the stinking air filter. Thing is a good many parts on line are made by the same people that supply the parts stores. I know some aftermarket suppiers are junk and you need to do your homework before buying. Anyway shipping was free because it was over 50.00 and no freaking tax. A couple of days ago I ordered a filter kit for my 5.9L Cummins from Genos Garage (oil, fuel,air) and saved about 20 bucks from buying at my local parts store again no freaking tax. Buying online, sometimes the shipping cost will not be cost effective and sometimes it will.
    I never really thought about getting other things on line till I started buying parts for the mini trucks. I have a brother in law that buys everything on line from electric razors to diapers. His recent purchase was a flat screen tv.with shipping he saved 200.00.
    Why dont we do this more often? Well its so simple to get in your car and drive though traffic to your retail outlet, walk around for a hour looking at 20 different brands, while being happy, smile on your face with your other half, buy it, load it, drive though some more traffic, unload it, install it yada,yada,yada.
    Online shopping is for me it might not be for you.
    I enjoy having a cold refreashment, sitting in my chair (we all have our own chair right ?) and doing something so simple. At the same time you are reading some of the tech. info. that maybe you didnt know about a certain product.
    Bottom line you can save your hard earned money and maybe buy that little sweety in your life something or buy something extra for your mini truck,or a new fishing pole that sits next to the other 10 poles you already have, how about a new gun that will sit in the closet, or a set of new wrenches that you wont use(because you like the old ones) ect, ect.
    OK Iam finished.
    I still like the ideal of buying ON LINE.
    My old Pappy always told us boys "Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained"
    "Ask, All They Can Say Is NO".

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

You are correct. Its just that some people do and some people don't. I think its a "see it, like it, buy it" kind of thing and/or "I want it now". Some people only deal with cash. I'll go ahead and tell you that I buy everything I possibly can online. I read the reviews and go to the store to even compare products myself, then purchase online. I've even gone as far as purchasing a product locally, trying it out and returning it, and turn around and buy it online if I like it to save a few hundred bucks. Sometimes I feel a little guilty not buying from my local retailers, but... on the other hand I'm sure they don't feel guilty for ripping me off.

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

if its something i want i look for it in the shop, if it is something i know i will need eventually i go online

4. Glad to hear that you enjoy shopping online. Sadly the days of retail stores are getting numbered. With the cost of rent and utilities online stores are much more profitable for companies and have much lower overhead. You dont have to hire as many people to fill orders.

5. starpuss

starpuss Member

The stuff I buy online is stuff that I can’t get in the stores.

now some times you can buy stuff online and save a lot of cash, but other times you can buy stuff online and get Fu*ked with a cheep knock off clones. Or some times you will never get it. Or you will get it broken. Or they offer no warranty. Or you have to spend 20.00 to ship back something you paid 45bucks for to get warrantee for them to tell you “sry we can’t offer warranty on that seeing it is not covered.” Or they will tell you manufactures warranty.

Now for me, I run a online store for satellite stuff, and computer stuff. And I find that where selling the stuff for a lot cheaper online then in the store seeing we don’t have to spend 30-40 min talking to the customer in the store telling them all the info on the products. This way they go online spend all the time in the world they need and they buy it. At a lower price. Witch is an online only deal but I still make more money online seeing there is less staff to pay. And when they use the online checkout all you do is stick a sticker on a box and call usp to pick it up. Lot less work and lot faster then if they would come into the store.

Now for me on my spare time I run an online store for gun parts and knife and antique guns. Witch I run from my home. No staff to pay. No big where house to rent. So I can afford to sell the stuff a lot cheaper then all the “retail stores” and most online stores.
    Witch is what a lot of the online stores do. Or they rent a wherehouse then they don’t have to pay for a big store front and hire 10 workers all they need is 1 computer geek and maybe 1 shipper and receiver. To run it all.

6. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

And nobody remembers they get stuck at the broker until you shell out another $40 on your Visa up here either. They also never get dinged GST or duties at the Post Office.
    That NEVER happens. It's ALWAYS a better bargain online.
    Unfortunately I have to bring stuff in all the time, and pay all those charges so I know they're too ashamed to admit they were wrong so they lie.

7. Meesho

Meesho Member

The point of a local supplier is you pay a bit more and get it right away (in stock). I am ok with that.

The problem is nobody stocks anything anymore, every store wants to "order it in" for you. In that case you might as well order it yourself and save some bucks.

8. Stuff99

Meesho, that is the problem i come into with my hobbies. Im into the model semi trucks and guys in regina and stoon wont and dont stock any parts for them, so im forced to go online.

9. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Really no different from my parents buying from the JC Penney or Wards catalog decades ago. I try to buy local in our lil town to support the economy but that is really only for the basic things. The stores are going to have to order it in any way for me and receive shipments in on one day of the week. Easier for me to just order myself. Paypal has been a good way to pay along with one specified credit card to use online. Download Craigslistreader and you will also satisfy your inner yard sale junkie while more easily searching through craigslist entries. I have always had good dealings on Ebay. Just be aware that you don't need to pay 12 dollars shipping on a 10 dollars item. Seems to be the norm these days to have the seller make extra money on the shipping and handling.

10. starpuss

starpuss Member

but some time's you will see good deal like a "20gb mp3 player" for 19.95 , but then shipping cost will be 49.95 they do this so that you dont have to pay customs and it keeps there ebay listing fee down.

11. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I do all my Christmas shopping online and do it year round so come Dec. I'm done and don't have to go to malls and fight with the unwashed masses. Rarely do I find a store nowadays that has a clue what their merchandise is or what it does. I've owned many a small bussiness in the past and can tell you honestly that the biggest problem for small stores now is lease costs. Gone are the days when you rented space..now you pay the lease plus property taxes,landscaping and snow clearing etc. years ago these were costs the property owner absorbed and services they provided to entice good tenants. Where I am I have looked at several interesting bussineses in the past few years and have been dumbfounded by the lease rates and maint. charges. I have 4 residential rental properties and wouldn't dream of asking my tenants to pay my property taxes. Meanwhile retail space goes empty and small stores can't keep their doors open. the ones who stay open have to charge ridiculous markups. example; performance improvements gave me a price on aftermarket taillights for my Chevy truck $400 I bought them online for $39..same lights from the same factory. Real estate gets overvalued and everyone pays.Sorry ranting....can you get a better deal in person? yes as long as you know what you are looking for and what it is worth

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  12. Stuff99

ya i know lease rates are insane. local mall is mostly empty and i kinda found out why. they lease per square foot. and a friend was interested in a large amount for an indoor lazer shooting game (like lazer quest) and the lease for three years would be around 100 grand. so that is why allot of companies moved out like walmart.

13. I don't put anything on my site that I don't have in stock. I actually have more but don't put it on the site till I have enough to make it through a week.