1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting mains electricity from a subaru domingo.

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Fay Presto, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Greetings Subaru Gurus,

I am getting way ahead of myself here, the Little monster isn't even in the UK yet, but I often find myself working at a festival or party in a marquee and desperately in need of caffeine.

I have a couple of brilliant coffee makers but an inverter from the battery will not supply enough oomph. Is there any way of driving a 2K generator through some kind of power take-off from the engine?

I can't be the first person to want this, can I? can I?

Fay

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

some of the truck versions actually came factory equipped with a generator...for a coffee maker you should need around 1000-1500 watts...a good inverter can do this without any issues....you would just have to adjust the idle speed so the alternator can keep up....I saw in my owners manual(Daihatsu) a clip on attachment (looks like a paranello wand from a cappucinno machine) that slots in above the gas pedal...when the idle speed needs to be higher for the onboard generator or hydraulic pump, you swing the wand down till it touches the gas pedal,and it pushed down enough to add a few hundred rpms...

3. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Now I'm getting very excited..........

4. zardoz

zardoz Member

Keep your coffee maker very simple. Some electronics don't like the "modified sine wave" produced by an inverter and won't run without full sine wave being provided. A simple coffee maker will have less electronics and should work fine :)

z

5. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

I have a variety of 'nespresso' machines, totally totally brilliant, and a trial has shown one will run quite happily off a 2.5K Genny, so that side is fine, they draw about .9 these days.

Could a leisure battery cope?

fay

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Maybe im missing somthing here but why not just get a 12v coffee maker?

7. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Life is too short to wait for a 12 volt coffee maker to work, plus, and it is a big plus, coffee is about pressure, the hot water should be forced through the coffee at about 8 bar or 130psi.

Nespresso make damn fine coffee makers, no coffee grounds no mess, just great coffee. Having decent mains power would be a useful bonus.

fondest
    fay.

My car has arrived, plan to meet him on Monday.

8. fupabox

Haha...another coffee snob/slave like me:):D..... I use a superautomatica at home and at work...have my beans specially imported and roasted by a guy I've used for years....I agree regular coffee makers don't even come close to pressure brewed....the Nespresso should work fine on a 1500 watt inverter

9. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Prefer 'slave' to snob, but the Nespresso has completely emancipated me.

Stayed in a seriously wonderful hotel in Lisbon on Wednesday, courtesy of the client. The suite was bigger than my house and there was a Nespresso m/c in the lounge.

Check them out. I have three, one at home, one in the car, and one for spare in case either of them breaks down, (which hasn't happened).

So the good news is a leisure battery set up will run a 1500 watt inverter?

Fondest

Fay

10. zardoz

zardoz Member

Fay I couldn't agree more about the prep method being important for a perfect cup of joe. I have a Keurig machine myself (pretyy much the exact same thing as your Nespresso machine). I don't drink nearly as much coffee as I used to... but that which I do drink... I want to be as close to perfect as I can manage :)

z

11. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

There's capsules and capsules. Like Jazz, if your first exposure to a capsule is bad, they are all bad. I tried a thing called a 'Tassimo', it was so bad I very carefully repacked it into its box and took it back saying I had been given one, to get a refund.

Just had first sight of my Subaru Domingo, bought 'unseen'. I'm gonna be drinking an awful lot of coffee before I can get it into the shape of the vehicle I thought I had bought!

Fay

12. fupabox

Ooooh....that doesn't sound promising:(

13. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Maybe not.

I once had a very wise Boss,

'Fools and children,' he would say,....'don't show them half completed jobs.' The point he was making was that they can't see the end point, can't imagine what the completed project will look like, and they will always see any 'home made' solutions employed. I hope I am neither a child nor a fool.

The car I have just seen in the flesh in a unit in Bristol was straight off the boat. I don't know as yet how much time and work the importer usually puts into the cars he buys on behalf of a customer, this vehicle needs lots. Had I seen it before I bought it, I would not have done so.

Neither of the sun roofs works, the paint is very faded, the car is generally quite shabby, bits are missing and it is sorely in need of a major clean up and overhaul. Somewhere in there is a very attractive little vehicle trying to get out. There is very little rust, all the panels are square, and it has a full set of manuals..... all in Japanese.

Time will tell.

lets start by writing some e-mails.

fondest
    fay