1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearing question

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by David Tucker, May 1, 2021.

1. David Tucker

David Tucker New Member

The answer to this may just be "it's an old car" but I'm new to working on cars so I'll just ask.

The speedometers on these trucks have the little recommended gear ranges for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but I find I'm in 4th by the time I'm going 30mph, not getting anything close to range indicated on the speedometer. Is this normal? I know the gears on these are notoriously short - if I'm rolling at all I skip 1st - but what accounts for it being so different than what the speedo seems to suggest? Should my gears have more range in them?

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Dave,
    Sounds pretty normal to me, with these small engines. Maybe some one has a more scientific answer as to what the book recommends on speed, and rpm's! I'm old school, so if it's running good, and shifts good, no noises, then I'm good with it! Same here, if I'm rolling, then no need for 1st gear, could actually cause problems!
    Limestone

3. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

I think the markings on the speedometer are like red lines for each gear. Engine would be screaming at each shift point indicated. Only use the reference points when at the drag strip putting on an exhibition of blistering speed and raw horsepower.

Adam C Spry likes this.
  4. shogun

shogun Active Member

I also understand it that way, red lines for each gear, so if you drive for example in 2nd gear you should not exceed the shown mark

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’m guessing that the redline for these little engines is in the 9000-rpm range, and most folks are under revving them. Being used to larger American V8s, with redlines of 5000-rpm, we shift too soon, and don’t let the engine get up-to the torque curve.

Adam C Spry likes this.
  6. Limestone

Jigs,
    I'm like you a little more familiar with the American Models, with the exception, I'm sure you have more Foreign experience than I do, but traditionally by going by the sound of the engine, we just didn't wind them out to cause damage, so to that point, I'm asking: Is there any problems with shifting, a little premature vs. getting up to torque? I've never damaged anything with this method, thinking that I just had a knack for it! Hmmmm! Just Wondering! Thanks!
    Limestone

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

It is hard on the little engines to lug them, The cranks don’t have much meat there, and you can twist them if you lug them too hard.

But, no it won’t hurt them to keep the rpm down, they just don’t get as good fuel economy. Engines are most efficient at the torque peak, that is why the newer cars where they are more concerned with fuel economy, have so many gears. With more gears you can run in a torque band closer to the torque curve.

The only other downside to under revving, is they aren’t as peppy below the torque band.

8. Limestone

Yeah that's what I thought. I never needed to go by the RPM'S exclusively, as I was taught to have a feel for it, and go by sound! Always taking a peak at the RPM'S, to know, and understand! I've had a lot of luck massaging them into gear vs. beating on it, and jamming it! My good friend and his Cronies love the term "BEAT ON IT", and he's always in the shop repairing stuff! Calling and asking advise, and what not! LOL! Thanks!
    Limestone

9. DAN CANAAN

DAN CANAAN New Member

I have found the shift points listed really are in the butter zone for power on these tiny engines and lead you right into the next gear at a point where you're already in the power band for that gear without lugging. But I tend to only use that when accelerating on a freeway onramp or other case where I need to get ot speed quickly, otherwise I pedal along casually.

10. David Tucker

David Tucker New Member

Thanks all, that’s helpful to know. I can't imagine getting to those redline marks, I'm in 4th by the time I reach the bottom end of the 3rd gear zone on the speedometer! Truck drives great and seems to be happy with where I'm shifting at, so I won't worry about it too much.

11. emorgan451

emorgan451 New Member

I'm glad you asked that question since I was wondering the same thing!

David Tucker and Limestone like this.
  12. Adam C Spry

Adam C Spry Member Supporting Member

My other ride is a VW GTI, and I generally am shifting in the 2500-3000 rpm range, unless i am in a hurry. It took me a while to get used to waiting until i get into the 4500 -5500 range with the Acty, but it seems to like it. I also have to make myself stay in the torque band around 4000 at cruising speed (4th gear at 40 mph) since i drive in traffic and I need to have all the torque available to react to changes. I have a tach, so I haven't really paid attention to the shift ranges on the speedo, but i enjoyed reading through this thread. Driving the mini-truck has made me rethink the way I drive the GTI too.