1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas tank/spare tire switch

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by boatman, Nov 5, 2008.

1. boatman

boatman Member

So - I'm putting together a receiver hitch for the back (and front) of my '92 Carry. Haven't gotten to the front yet, but looking at the rear of this thing, the spare tire is sitting right about the same level as where I want to put in a solid structure to receive the hitch. if I build it where it's supposed to go, then I won't be able to get at the spare anymore. Just below it - hanging out reaaaal close to the ground on steep departures - is the little gas tank.

Now call me crazy, but it seems to me that the original designers got this backwards. (OMG am I really questioning the designers of these lovely little trucks?? I must be crazy). Anyway - Shouldn't the gas tank be tucked up nice and tight between the frame, above the tire? This would make it much more protected, and also put the spare closer to the ground, where it's needed. A nice strong hitch structure would then cross the rear of the tank providing additional protection, without locking in the spare. If you needed a better departure angle for some serious wheeling, then you could simply drop the spare and put it in the bed.

Now, presuming I'm not missing something obvious here, it seems to me that a feller could simply trim down the metal brackets that mount the gas tank as they are, moving it up, like 8 inches or so. then the structure that is being fabbed to support the hitch could easily have a spare support leg running forward to hold the spare tire if it was designed carefully.

Better protection for the tank, easier access to the spare; and a proper height for the hitch.

Am I missing something? Anyone done this already?

2. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Carry hitch

Our Carry hitch easily mounts with 4 bolts to the rear spring supports that are already drilled for the hitch. Its a 10 minute install. No need to move anything!

Chuck near Indy

3. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be center of gravity.

I dont think it would make a substantial difference, but you would be moving the COG up a tad. Again, I dont know if it would be noticeable and otherwise I like the idea.

4. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

you are right...why did they put the spare on top of the fuel tank:confused: i have seen that on suzuki's and i was glad when i got my mitsu that the spare is below the fuel tank which makes it easy to get at:D maybe you can get a tank off a mitsu and fit it into your suzuki...just an idea:pop: