1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas Prices in your Area

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by gregw98, Oct 27, 2008.

1. gregw98

gregw98 Member

I was grinning today as I filled up my truck today at $2.02 a gallon here in south Mississippi. What are you paying in your part of the country?

2. Colin

Colin Member

$2.20 or something. Been a while since I've filled up.

Diesel was $3.02 yesterday... :rolleyes:

3. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

That is BS. Up in NY I am paying 3.29/ gal. WHAT THE???? In the town next over it was $3.09/gal. CRAZY

Diesel I seen today was $3.79

at truck stop diesel was $3.40 in OH

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

2.04-2.19 independent/2.19-2.29 majors monday 10/27/08 in Austin,Tx

5. BIG DADDY

BIG DADDY New Member

$1.39 at one place but it g=has been closed down for 3 yrs. just kidding. 2.35 bridgeport tx

6. Rickster

Rickster Member

$1.99/Gal today without ethanol! North Central Oklahoma.

7. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Anywhere between 2.42 and 2.72 for premium in West Central Indiana.

Thank God for 3 cyl. Geo Metros.

:)

8. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Plunging gas prices

Indiana Jason:

$ 2.08 in Brownsburg, Indiana tonight (Monday), $2.13 in Zionsville, IN.

God had nothing to do with Geo Metros, I think a Govt. Committee trying to redesign the Singer Sewing Machine did.

Chuck near Indy

9. confuzed

confuzed Member

1.09 a liter here who cares it is so long between fills i even going to try the expensive stuff premium lol

10. Mini4WD

Mini4WD Member

Prices still HIGH in Carolina....

Regular Unleaded is still high here in North Carolina. Anywhere from $2.68 to $2.80 in the Charlotte, NC area. I heard that is was down to $1.99 in Rock Hill, SC.

11. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

$1.99 Des Moines Ia. $1.79 E 85

12. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

A big salute to the military over here in Japan... $4.06/gallon for regular at all on base stations. Nothing quite like a captive customer. Japanese stations are around $4.50'ish/gallon due to the bad exchange rate. :mad:

13. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Haha Chuck.... :D

Yeah a sewing machine is right..ironic you said that...

I have 7 Geo metros, all 3 cyl 5 spds. 91-93. , 4 for parts, 2 to make into one(identical yrs. and color) , and my convertible I drive, which now has 251,000 miles on it. Clutch is starting to go out, probably original clutch.
    So I bought a 4 dr. off an old man, with 83,000 miles on it, and a bad exhaust valve.

I rebuilt the head completely, new timing belt, tune-up, etc... I just got it done yesterday after my wife came home on her lunch break to check on my progress.... she sent me text message asking "if it ran" ...i said yeah, like a sewing machine ..... ;)

Anyways, now I'm gonna yank the motor/trans out and transplant it into my convertible instead of replacing the clutch in a 251,000 mile motor....

By the way gas is down to 2.12 a gallon today (Tuesday) - West Central Indiana.........:confused:

14. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I saw $2.239 at the Costco and Sams Club in Southlake, TX.

15. willyboy

willyboy Member

$1.70 in Paris Ky 15 min. from me. Here it is still $2.35 ???
    My guess 1 week after election it will start going back up but who knows.

16. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I filled up at the Costco again last Thursday. $2.129. I saw 2.099 on the way home from work last night by the highway in Hurst.

17. kalmac

kalmac New Member

i hate the lot of you.....lol
    if i convert it right i'm paying aprox
    $8.16 per gallon

and it's gone down lately

18. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

$1.91 yesterday, Newton Iowa

19. gregw98

gregw98 Member

20. louis westernoff

louis westernoff New Member

Gazzzzz

IN MONTREAL QUEBEC IT IS NOW 98.9 LIT:eek:

21. jtpc

jtpc Member

Tulsa, Oklahoma is $1.90 for regular.
    Diesel is $2.75

22. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

i think it is 1.10/ litre for reg or 1.17/litre for 92 Octane that I burn

23. jtpc

jtpc Member

Timetripper, do you run premium fuel (92) in your subaru??
    I was told 85 octane was alright, but haven't heard too much info on the subject as far as what japan puts in them.

24. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I have read that reg octane gas in Japan is 90 Octane.
    I have no proof other than having read this online, maybe one of our
    Japanese based members can correct me if I wrong.
    With the S/C model you need to run enough Octane to keep the knock
    sensor from retarding the igniton due to pre-ignition.
    When I did my dyno run I used 94 Octane + 5 Octane boost to make absolute
    certain it was getting the optimum conditions for the little guy.
    I would like to do a dyno run again now that the temps are down from what the were
    in Aug as the cooler air is more dense now = more HP :)

If your running a NA Sambar it will be somewhat different but it might be worth
    trying a tank on reg [do mileage calc] and then run premium and do calc to see if worth while or not

25. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern petrol will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane rating, shown on the pump, is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" petrol in the US and Canada, is 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and some even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).

It is possible for a fuel to have a RON greater than 100, because iso-octane is not the most knock-resistant substance available. Racing fuels, AvGas, LPG, and alcohol fuels such as methanol or ethanol can have octane ratings of 110 or significantly higher - ethanol's RON is 129 (MON 102, AKI 116). Typical "octane booster" petrol additives include tetra-ethyl lead, MTBE and toluene. Tetra-ethyl lead (the additive used in leaded petrol) is easily decomposed to its component radicals, which react with the radicals from the fuel and oxygen that start the combustion, thereby delaying ignition, leading to an increased octane number.

jtpc likes this.
  26. In the St Louis MO area, 1.98 to 2.09 per gallon Diesel, 2.69 to 2.79. Enjoy your Metros Indiana Jason. My Diesel VW Jetta with 200K gets 40.48 MPG as of the last filling. Highway is around 50 MPG am making a trip Wed will brag more then:D

27. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I rented a 07 TDI Jetta a while back and got a honest 61 mpg [Imperial] with it even though I was cruising at 130 kmh. Very impressive car, kind of makes hybrids redundant IMO

28. canadian1

canadian1 Member

octane

unless i misread the question; the question was octane numbers in japan. japan is in asia and not europe.

29. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Canadian1:

Quote from Milt:
    it didn't say just Europe and Australia

30. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Back on topic:
    Last night it went down to 102.9/ litre
    Something nice about having gas lower in price everytime
    you need a fill than the last time you went.