1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas Pedal Sticking!

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by downhere, Nov 21, 2011.

1. downhere

downhere Member

Over the last month or so my gas pedal on my 1996 Deck van has been sticking. Kind of spooked me the first time it did it while going 100 km/hr down the highway . If you put your foot under the pedal and lift it up it fixes the problem but... I applied some WD 40 to the pedal assembly but that didn't correct it. Before I start tearing things apart I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what was the fix?

2. copeina

copeina Member

It is a very simple cable mechanism. You have the pedal assembly at the top, the carb assembly at the bottom, and a cable in a sheath between the two.

If possible, unhook the cable from one or both ends and do the following maintenance:

#1 - clean, oil and work the pedal assembly until it is working "like new". Ensure your return spring is in good condition and returns the pedal to the "up" position firmly and freely.
    #2 - degunk the top of your engine, especially the carb and use a light brush to clean it (externally only) including all the lines and springs and whatever around it. Then apply a good oil or silicone spray to the whole thing. Check that your throttle moves freely and snaps back when released.
    #3 - apply some 3 in 1 or similar oil into the cable itself and work it back and forth until it is moving absolutely smooth. Then add more oil and do it again. Likely this is the problem, as a little bit of salty moisture can cause a rust bulge which impedes the smooth slide of the cable in the casing.

If need be, you can remove the cable entirely and work it on a bench.

Dying on the highway because of a stuck accelerator would be a crappy way to celebrate xmas. Take your time and fix it right!

Good luck,
    /Kris

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Good advice. Just to add... My HiJet has a return spring at the carb/throttle body and at the pedal so check both.

4. downhere

downhere Member

Thanks for the info! I took the the boy's to parent teacher interviews in it tonight with no issues on the way there. On the way back was a very different story as it stuck and wouldn't release for about 5 min. My 11 year old(turns 11 tomorrow)boy said to me "Dad i'm pretty sure it shouldn't be doing that, do you want me to take a look at it" What does a person say to that? Recently he said to me that when he turns 16 he would like to buy it off me for his first vehicle. He said that i should sell it to him for a discount. He then proceeded to say that when his younger brother (now 8) turns 16 he would sell it to him for a profit??? Well anyways we made it home and will clean it with the help of the boy's.

5. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

:DThere is an adapter made to lube cables, talk to your ATV dealer, it clamps on one end of the cable and then you squirt wd40 solvent or oil lube in the clamp adapter till it comes out the other end of the cable. tom

6. copeina

copeina Member

OOOOOO!!! A new toy for the toolbox! I may need to look into that!

/Kris

7. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I think you can get the cable lubers at bicycle shops as well....I make a funnel at the end of the cable sheath with duct tape and just pour some oil into it and let it work down into the cable...cheap but effective:D

8. downhere

downhere Member

Fixed! I started inside the truck removing the gas pedal assembly. The problem was still there so next went to the carb. Yep a little oil goes a long way... On my 2010 Duramax(still under warranty)I wouldn't even think of touching it with a wrench. With the deck van I almost want something to go wrong just to be able to fix it:confused: