1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas guage?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by tmikewww, Mar 25, 2008.

1. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Any ideas where to start for a gas gauge that doesn't work? I put the "test light" on the connection at the top of the gas tank, and there was a very low "glow" on the test light.:confused:

Thanks,
    tmikewww
    (Tom)

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Does it always show empty, full, or in the middle?

-Greg

3. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

My gauge shows empty all the time, even when full.

Sam

4. DRW

DRW Member

Take the tank sending unit wire and ground it with the key on,if your fuel gauge needle goes past full then the problem is with the sending unit.

5. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Greg,
    It always "reads"empty. Oh, yes I put gas in it just to be sure.
    Thanks,
    tmikewww
    (Tom)

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

DRW has good advise but I am unsure of the number of wires present. Sounds like you have two. More than likely you could jumper them and it should read full but It is a risky test. 9 times out of 10 the sending unit is the culprit.

-Greg

7. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

OK, at the tank sending unit, I un-plugged and grounded the gas tank "wire"(yellow and red stripe in color) nothing. No change in the fuel gauge. Again, when I use the "test light", there's a "low, faint" glow, not the "normal" bright light. What gives? Any idea???? Is the gauge fused?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  8. DRW

DRW Member

Sounds like your gauge unit may be bad,you can always pull the sending unit and check for obvious problems, like the float has come off the rod or other damage.The low faint glow you are seeing is normal, you will not see the test light glow brightly.From what you are saying it sounds like the dash unit, but greg is correct,the tank unit give far more trouble than the actual gauge.If you pull the tank unit,trace down the wiring to the actual gauge and have someone move the rod on the sending unit while checking the resistance with an ohmmeter.You should see a constant change as the rod is moved.