1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Type, Regular or Premium...

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by unclejemima, Sep 22, 2007.

1. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

What is factory recommended octane in these trucks? Mine's a 91 Honda Acty, i run 91octane premium, but is it necessary? Should i run regular 87 octane???

Sorry if this is a repost:eek:, but i could not find this in the search and i'm sure its been asked before.
    -mark

2. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I'm running 87 with no issues at all.

3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what the compression ratio on these things but I really doubt you would need anything more than 87. Perhaps on the fuel injected ones if they have knock sensors you might get some advantage but again, I doubt it. That's just my $0.02

4. Colin

Colin Member

I'm running 87 octane. Can't imagine cylinder pressures are high enough to necessitate premium fuel.

5. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Good to know, thanks guys! I just figured to run premium because of the small displacement.
    -mark

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

The size of the engine has nothing to do with the type of fuel required. This will always be a matter of compression ratio, or type of induction. Since we don't have books telling us what is recommended, our ears are our best guide. If you hear pinging, then you'll need to step up to a higher octane fuel. Otherwise, the (relatively) cheap stuff is best.

7. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Higher Octane?

Could it hurt the motor to use the higher octane? Just was wondering? As I will only be using mine off roading I would not be affected as much by the higher price of the premium.

8. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Nope, it won't hurt it at all. It won't help either, if you're running the lower octane fuel without issues.

9. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

I know in Japan their octane is very high.. I think their regular is equiv. to 94 or something close to that..

I use mid grade, (89) but I am pretty sure these things don't need anything more than low grade.. But on the side of caution I just use 89

10. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Thats what i heard too, same with europe as well.
    Mid grade is not a bad idea thou, just for piece of mind.
    -mark

11. Colin

Colin Member

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating:

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).

For those who haven't heard an engine ping, go fill a jar with marbles and shake it. When you hear that, immediately relieve the engine of its load or you'll end up with a ventilated piston. :)

Colin

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  12. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Great description, Colin! :D

13. zardoz

zardoz Member

My first full tank...

Was filled with "regular", heard pretty heavy pinging at 90+ kmh. Second tank was filled with "mid grade", pinging greatly reduced... but still there at 110+ kmh. Last time I filled up I put premium in Crunchy Frog, no ping whatsoever even with the speedo buried to 120+ kmh, considering the tiny tank this vehicle has I think I'll stick with "premium" fuel... the difference on a full tank cost wise is really quite negligible, truck appears to run cooler and holds rpm on hills a little easier :)

From what I have read this engine is a 10.5-1 comp ratio, can anyone confirm this? If this is the case it is a high comp engine and can and will get benefit from higher octane fuel.

z

14. In Japan we use regular gas a sea level and high octane for high altitude. Remember these trucks are designed for highway speeds of 50-60mph. Over that you will get a ping without high octane fuel. The clearences are so tight that regular gas does not burn fast enough at high speed. For speed demon back of the timing 2 degrees. It will not effect idle and save your engine at mach 4.

Br,
    Don

15. zardoz

zardoz Member

Thanks for the tip on the timing issues Don, much appreciated. I'll play with mine a bit now I think ;)

z

16. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

never put a compression tester on my truck . i know my Metro 1.0 motor has 9 to 1 and cranks 200 PSI. stock. with a VERY hot cam the same motor cranks 125. both ways it will ping on cheap gas.

17. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

no it won't hurt, but yes it will help. higher octane has a cooling effect, so if you are working the engine hard...higher octane is the way to go. plus if you are having a hot running problem, it will help too.:D

wyatt