1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel pump oddity... at least to me

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Ohkei Dohkei, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I have had one issue that I need to address. When I picked the 94 KS4 up from the port, it took around 15 seconds of cranking to fire up and run. I dismissed this as protocol to empty the carb for shipment. Then I noticed anytime it sat for 4 days or more it did the same thing. I assumed it had a manual fuel pump but all my research said no, it has an electric pump. So the next time it hadn't been cranked for a few days, I turned the ignition on for 20 sec and then cranked it up. It still took 15 seconds for fuel to get to the carb and fire up. So I thought that didn't make any sense and I found the fuel pume and had my son turn the ignition on while I held the fuel pump. I didn't feel or hear anything. For further diagnosis I removed the fuel line after the pump and turned on the ignition while looking under the truck. No fuel whatsoever. I then hit the starter and immediately got splashes of fuel on the ground. I'm guessing there might be a safety that prevents the fuel pump from running if the engine isn't or if the starter isn't engaged. I'm planning on putting in a check valve for a short term fix but wondered if I'm on the right track?

2. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

every Sambar ive owned, when the key is in ACC you can hear the pump make a whirrrrrr noise for about 4-5 seconds which i assume is priming the lines. is the line you took out before or after the fuel filter? if its after, try changing the fuel filter too. 2 minute job by the left rear wheel and filters are about $3 from overseas

3. Ohkei Dohkei

The line I removed was between the pump and the engine. I read every post I could find and like you said, everyone talks about being able to hear it with the ignition on, but mine doesn't pump until the starter engages. It runs fine once it starts, and it starts quickly as long as it doesn't sit for 4 days or so.

4. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

When you put the key to ACC do you get dash lights, radio, etc? If not that could be ignition switch related with the fuel pump not priming either, but if you get dash lights its not that

5. Ohkei Dohkei

Yes, everything else comes on.. lights, fan, radio, etc..

6. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

The fuel pump in my Sambar used to run a few seconds when the key was turned on but it stopped doing that and just cranking it takes a while to start so what I do is just bump the starter a little and let it pump a little fuel to the carb. With the pitiful manual I have it would be hard to figure out the problem but I suspect it is the relay but don't know where it is.

7. Ohkei Dohkei

Well I installed a check valve to see if that will help. I'll know in a few days.

8. Ohkei Dohkei

The check valve didn't fix it, so I guess that means the fuel in the carb bowl is either evaporating or draining into the intake.

9. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

Evaporating I imagine, it would be impossible for it to drain into the intake or anywhere else.