1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Pickup clogged?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Jason P, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Jason P

Jason P New Member

I am starting the process of cleaning out the fuel tank of my 93 DD51T. It has been sitting for 5 years or more... Surprisingly, I ran a temp fuel line from a gas can to the fuel pump, purged the old fuel up out of the line at the carb, and the ole boy (Tojo) cranked right up and purred like a kitten.

After draining as much fuel as I could through the fuel fill, I figured I could hook my vacuum pump (oil change pump for boat...aka Liquavac) to the fuel pickup on top of the tank. I removed the small hose connecting the filter to the top of the tank ("fuel pickup" is what I will call that pipe/barb) and attached a length of spare fuel line there and ran it to my pump. I then pumped up some vacuum on the pump and NOTHING. I then took that hose and blew on as hard as I could and it is stopped up. I couldn't suck on it either...stopped up. I even applied about 50 psi with an air tank...again, nothing. All this was done with the fuel cap removed.

Is there some kind of valve down in the tank or is the pickup just THAT clogged up?

Thanks in advance!

Jason P

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Not really familiar with your unit, but when I did mine, it had a convenient, Drain plug underneath!

I'm thinking, possibly that, yeah your that Clogged up!

I'm sure that you also realize that your dealing with fuel, and fumes, so be careful with what your using as a pump, with electrical connections, and such!

I guarantee, your Clogging is throughout! We've seen it and heard about it too many times!

I had a thread a couple years back, and several members chimed in!

Good Luck!

Limestone

3. Jason P

Jason P New Member

Thanks, Limestone. I am going to remove the tank and get it really cleaned up!!

The pump I am using is a hand pump vacuum pump called the Liquavac. It is basically the opposite of a pump up garden sprayer, but instead of pumping pressure on the jug, you pump a vacuum and then open a valve introduce suction on the hose. Handy tool!

Jason P

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Sound like a plan to me!

Good Luck!
    Limestone