1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Ichabod, Jun 21, 2007.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

hhhmmm ya never know

2. starpuss

starpuss Member

I was using my truck last week for hunting and I did over 200km's highway @ 70kph and 100km's of bush trails at 10-30kph also I did maybe 1-2 hrs of idle time.

Started the truck up at 5:30 am and ran it right till 7:00 pm truck was maybe off for 1-2 hrs max.

So when I got home I used 22.00 in gas. So if I can think right that 31-32 mpg. Not bad.

Dam thing was I was having to much fun driving the trails and playing with the truck to look for deer.

3. fupabox

lol I don't need to look for em theres a few herds around me all the time..I see maybe 10-20 a week on my street alone...come here and blast a few I don't wanna hit 1 in the mini....oddly we have wild peacocks as well.:sly:.a dude down the street had a bunch and let them roam now they are everywhere

4. Meesho

Meesho Member

I miss peacocks. They used to be everywhere in Assiniobine park in Winnipeg.

5. fupabox

you'd think it would be too cold for them, but opossums survived the cold so anythings possible we have those now too..

6. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

You ever eat peacocks? Taste like chicken.

7. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

You guys are funny. Peacocks, chicken, possums.......

Mini-milestone: I just sold my '87 'Burb this afternoon. It had 136K miles on it. I bought it well used, in 1996. Gee, the dooryard seems awful empty now. I only put 23K miles on it in 13 years. I hardly knew that big hunk of rusting iron. I mostly stored 4 x 8s in it, out of the weather. I won't miss scraping the snow and ice off and moving it around to keep the battery charged, yet, there's an empty feeling. The only V-8 I ever owned. It started every time I asked and pulled many a neighbor out of ditch and snow bank. I wonder how many peacocks and possums we could have jammed in the back of that rig?

;0) r

8. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

You ever eat possum? Little greasy but taste like chicken.

9. fupabox

never had possum but it's a marsupial so must taste pouchy..:DI've eaten many rodents tho..is it anything like racoon or squirrel?

10. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Aww guys, does everything taste like chicken and smell like fish ;)?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  11. uralrob

uralrob New Member

I got my '92 hijet about 5 weeks ago and filled up for the 3rd time today. First fillup gave me 32.5 mpg (imperial), second one gave 35mpg, and today's fillup showed 41.5 mpg. I have been adding Seafoam fuel conditioner as I figure the carb could be grungy from sitting around between Japan and here. Apparently the carb can be leaned out a bit, but I havn't gone that route yet as the plugs are showing a dry pale grey colour. From what I am reading here my mileage is more typical than the 45-50 mpg that we see advertised. But if it keeps on improving the way it has been I should be running 100mpg by Spring.
    My rig is a 4 speed with 175?13s and 1.5" of lift.

Uralrob

12. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

Uralrob, those numbers sound pretty darned good to me, especially for a 17 year old carburetor. Congrats on scoring a real live fuel sipper. My last calculation (11/23/09) on the Sambar was 28.77 mpg. As it gets colder, it is running richer up to warm-up. The autochoke puts warm-up revs pretty high in cold weather. I won't be surprised to see mpg go below 27 when it is 0 degrees F out there. It's just around the corner.

Yesterday afternoon I installed a fire extinguisher to the back wall of the cab, between the seats. It looks like it belongs there. I also machined down some hardwood to make a cross-bed stop that locks into the internal sidegate tiedown points when the gates are up. It makes a stop for the sand tubes drifting around back there. It keeps them right over the axel. They kept creeping forward before I put the stop in. I also cut and fit a heavy duty, 3/8" thick, black rubber bed mat that spruces up the bed. I had to order a 6' x 8' mat and cut it down. I saved the biggest remnant and put it on the floor in front of my table saw. It was too nice to waste and it makes a good work mat.

I am still hoping to find time to have a canvas shop make a tonneau cover before heavy snow arrives. The tonneau might improve aerodynamics as an added benefit.

13. jtpc

jtpc Member

I got 25mpg last tank, but I drive it like a normal car so I don't get run off the road around here. :)

14. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

jtpc, I hear ya on trying to keep up. I bet they really zoom around on the prairie. You get to dance with all those diesel F250s and such. What sort of powerplant does your 2004 Hijet have? I like the looks of them.

15. jtpc

jtpc Member

:) ha, yes, there are a lot of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks on the road (including my dodge 3500 also being guilty of terrorizing the streets). My Hijet has the 659cc 3 cylinder engine. It seems powerful enough in acceleration and has been reliable. I use a gps unit to know my real speed and I cruise just fine at 55-60mph so long as its not a hill or anything. I've even had it to 72mph on the flat highway (speed limit was 70mph). The engine doesn't 'scream' like my 99 subaru sambar used to at 55mph. (though that was a 3-sd auto)

16. o8k

o8k Member

First tank 25mpg. Second tank 28mpg.

17. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

Last tank for me was 24.61 mpg, way down from the previous 27.88 mpg in cold weather. I was forced to use 4wd much of the time on the last tank of gas. The Sambar is extremely squirrely in 2wd, if there is wet snow or ice on the road.

I took the rig out in zero degree F weather yesterday. It took a long time to warm that heater up. It reminded me of an old VW bus in that respect, a four mile round trip to the PO and the defroster was just starting to work when I parked it back in the driveway. Brrrr!

18. o8k

o8k Member

Speaking of traction in 2wd... :D
    When i took my Carry in to the Emissions place, I got her stuck on the dino rollers! The attendant was like :pop:. The front wheels rolled into the indent for the rollers and the back wheels just spun and couldnt push me out. Had to drop to 4wd just go get un-stuck. :frustration: Then it was my turn. He as about 6'2" and about 300lbs. He had to run the emissions test with the door open and 1/2 hanging out of the truck! Then i was like :pop:.

19. Colin

Colin Member

The Carry must have a tiny cab - I'm 6'4" 300 lbs. :p

20. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

colin, if you remember that orange guy i was looking at years ago, the reason i couldnt get it was that when i got in it, my knees sat on the dash! 6'6" 300~ ?

21. o8k

o8k Member

according to jiltd's reports...