1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frozen rear end

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab References' started by pw9400, Nov 24, 2011.

1. pw9400

pw9400 New Member

Got back to the ranch after Elk hunting and discovered that the truck wouldnt move after checking everything I took of the filler cap on the rear end and found it frozen solid put a heater on it drained all the water and gear lube refilled it and works fine. This truck leaks NO fluid so how would the water get in any ideas?

2. werase643

werase643 Member

"SOMEBODY" parked it in a creek and the water filled into the dif through the vent and the oil floated away through the same vent

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

the vent is the only real way to get anything in or out...so the creek park is a good possibility

4. pw9400

pw9400 New Member

Thanks for the help BUT where is the vent located?

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

there should be a vent tube on the top of the rear diff..(a breather) should have a short hose on it so it can breathe up near the bottom of the truck bed

6. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

this is on my liteace but you can see a tube go up from the tallest point on the rear end and off to the left

[​IMG]

7. copeina

copeina Member

I must admit, I giggled a little at the subject line. It's winter here and reflects my sentiment exactly!

Glad it was an easy fix for you. The last rear end I seized was a friend's Jeep that the gears blew apart on the highway... Locked up solid at 60mph. Apparently running dry isn't a good thing.

The old 4x4 guys would drain their diffs after each "event" as they were very prone to taking on water. If you are doing a lot of off-roading, see if you can't run the vent line higher up into the frame.

/Kris

8. pw9400

pw9400 New Member

Thanks again the picture helped also, the 3 years I've ownned my Mitz it's never seen a paved road out here in the sandhills, I'll keep it in mind about drainning the rear end more often. Today I need to change the CV joint before that blows up, I'v had the parts for awhile but no time to work on it.
    Thanks All