1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SOLVED] Frozen Out

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Arty, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Arty

Arty Active Member

OK - I'm an idiot.
    A couple of days ago, when I got home from running an errand, my truck was dirty from slush etc., since the temperature outside was high enough to cause road grime to melt and splash up.
    Since I hate having my little buddy shabby looking, I decided to sponge off the worst of it in the driveway. - Bad idea - and I'm old enough to know better. - - The temperature dropped, and now my door locks, and door rubbers are frozen, and I'm frozen out.
    I thawed out the locks with a heated key and methyl hydrate, but the door rubbers are stuck tight, and I'm not going to force the doors open and risk ruining the weatherstrip.
    When the weather warms up enough to get back in, I'll treat the rubbers with baby oil, like I used to, so it doesn't happen again.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

You could try going around the doors gently with a hot air gun. You would have to be careful, to not heat part of the glass and break it. And, to not stay in one place too long and burn the paint.

3. Arty

Arty Active Member

Thanks Jigs. - I could tow it into my shop, and let it thaw out there as well, but since I don't really need it right now, f0r now I'll just wait till it warms up. - - Punishment for being silly I guess. - - You'd think after living through 70+ winters here, I'd know better.
    Lets just call it a "senior's moment".

4. ed nap

ed nap Member

Once you get her warmed up again, I find that if you spray the door gaskets with Amor all , they remain slippery for at least 6 months. The same would work with silicone spray. Anything to shed moisture . You could use WD-40 in a pinch but I don't know what else in WD-40 might act like a solvent and dry the gaskets out even further.

5. Arty

Arty Active Member

Ed:
    The silicone spray is a good thought, but I NEVER use Armorall anymore. I used to, but found that without fail, if you discontinue using it, even for a relatively short time, the vinyl/rubber parts dry out way faster than ever before. It instantly makes things look great, but for the long term it's not for me.