1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front wheel bearings and Ball joints

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by JRinTX, Oct 30, 2007.

1. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

I have removed both front CV drive shafts to check the CV joints, regrease and replace boots. I have two questions.

1.) How do you remove the front wheel bearings? I have the entire hub assembly off the truck, but have not figured out how to seperate the disc/hub from the outer housing in order to remove bearings and seal.

2.) One lower ball joint rubber boot is split. Can these boots be replaced? The ball joint seems to be in good shape. These ball joints are welded into the lower swing arm. Does the entire assembly get replaced or can new ball joints be welded in? (I guess this is more than just one question! :p)

Thanks for any and all help! :D

2. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

No one has worked on CV joints, wheel bearings or ball joints? :confused:

3. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

The boots can be replaced..the lowest portion should contain a metal ring (though it all looks like rubber)..tap gently with a chisel and it should come off. As for replacing, the parts manual only lists one part number, so I believe you would have to replace the whole unit $$.
    It you can snap a picture of the hub? If I'm not mistaken, you may have to slide hammer the rotor assembly off.

Don

4. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Don,

Thanks for the reply! I have finished this job. The lower ball joints are welded into the lower swing arms. They would have to be cut out and then replaced with bolt-in or rivet-in replacements, I assume. I know this is sometimes required on American made vehicles. But, I do not know where to find just a replacement ball joint.

My ball joints were in good shape, but the rubber boots were dry rotted and one was split. I replaced them with a generic ball joint boot from the parts store.

I completely removed the hub assembly. I had to press the rotor assembly from the hub. I removed the double row ball bearings and repacked them with grease. I pressed everything back together and replaced the oil seals. I had trouble locating the oil seals with a lip on the face like the OEM seals. I was able to locate the larger diameter (I believe it is the outer seal) oil seal with a lip on the face thru SKF bearings. I had to use an interchange for the smaller diameter seal. It is a double lip seal but does not have the additional lip on the face.

I have also cleaned and regreased the CV joints and replaced all the boots. I used a UniFit boot from the parts store. You can cut the large diameter to fit but the small diameter was just a little too big in diameter. The clamp pulled it down tight on the shaft and I put an additional nylon tie wrap on it to insure a tight fit.

Thanks,