1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front differential leak

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Dmj, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Dmj

Dmj New Member

Im new to this forum and new to mini trucks for that matter. My 1996 Daihatsu hi jet just developed a leak on front axle LH side. Once I began to disassemble, I found that the axle had popped out of differential enough to cause leak. I pressed it in and click.... Seems ok. Changed oil and drove it around. No leak so far. Why would it pop out?
    I do see that in near future cv boots need replacing. Too many little cracks. My question is what is the best what to remove front axles? Do I remove ball joints or unbolt strut to get enough room to pull axles out?
    Any input would be helpful.
    Also, does anyone know of good place to buy parts? I'm from New England. Mimi's aren't very popular around this neck of the woods.
    Thanks.
    DJ

2. Dmj

Dmj New Member

The leak was because axle had snapped out of differential. I have no idea why but once I pushed I in and changed oil, it's fine.

3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I don't have any helpful advice but glad that it seems to be working now.

4. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Have you added a lift kit ? I understand that over 2" of lift will put additional strain on the LH shaft, as it is quite short, and they can pop out. I have lifted mine only 1 1/2" with heavier springs, and no problems yet. If that is the case, you may be able to install a suspension limiter to keep it from over extending and poping it out again.

5. Dmj

Dmj New Member

i don't have a lift on it. I am considering one however. I would like to put 23" Maxis Ceros tires on it. Heavier springs lifted it that much? Was that the coils on the struts or did you change leaf springs as well? I've also been told that daihatsus need heavier struts. Do you know of a good source for the suspension parts?
    Thanks for the info. Sorry for so many questions but Im learning.

6. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

I used 250 #x 10" AFCO springs from Jegs. My struts are standard ( new ) ordered from Rock Auto out of England. I made longer rear shackles to put the truck in the correct attitude, and added camber bolt to correct front camber which went positive with the higher lift. I don't do anything severe, just old woods roads fields etc., and this setup works well for me. I am over 220 pounds and my son is over 250, ( yes, that is why I got a Jumbo ) and we rarely bottom out. I kept the original rear springs so the axel could articulate better, Heavier rear springs could make it too stiff.

Ask away - it's how we all learn

7. Dmj

Dmj New Member

Dumb question. Camber bolt? I'm not sure what you mean.

8. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

It is a bolt with an eccentric on it. It replaces one of the bottom strut bolts, so the camber angle of the strut can be adjusted. Use the search function and you will find more info.