1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front CV Joint Removal and Reinstall Process?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by MrJPolito, Sep 11, 2022.

1. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

Hi again,

I'm taking the passenger side front CV joint off of my Subaru Sambar KS4 (4wd automatic). It's been making a clicking noise when I turn the wheel all the way to one side and drive forward. The boot has a puncture and needs to be replaced.

The shaft was seized/rusted over on the wheel-side of the CV joint and I had to un-seize it with a jaw puller, lots of heat, and a hammer.

Now that it isn't seized anymore, I should be able to take the whole CV axle off but I have no idea how to get enough play to pull it out of there. What else do people usually remove to pull the whole CV joint out? Any tips? (Picture below)

IMG_20220911_203325_156.jpg

I tried to push it out with the jaw puller but it built up force like a slingshot and suddenly shot backwards into the hole and the wheel hub fell off with the jaw puller. Is there any particular way that I should reinstall the hub, or does it just go right back into the hole? Should I repack the bearing grease or anything? (Pictures below)

IMG_20220911_203307_733.jpg IMG_20220911_203317_974.jpg IMG_20220911_203321_955.jpg

And let me know if anything looks like it is obviously so worn that it needs to be replaced. I have no idea lol.

Thanks!

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

The front wheel bearings are a standard ball bearing style, instead of the tapered roller bearing style found on most other Subarus. Given that the inner race has separated from the pack, the whole bearing is now toast. Your only real choice here is to replace the bearing. They are still available new, and are now a fully sealed type that do not require the seals or packing. The Subaru part number is 28316TC0108A, and is available within Europe and Japan.

Partsouq occasionally has them available, and they typically are the lowest price I have found. Looks like they currently have 2: https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=28316TC0108A

MrJPolito likes this.
  3. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

Nice, thanks for the direct link. Ordered one there. $40 for the part and $25 for shipping.

Now I just need to pull that old bearing out. Hopefully the CV joint itself is fine and none of that needs to be replaced besides the boot.

4. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

Alright so, like six months ago I successfully replaced the wheel bearing and the end part of the CV joint where it fits into the wheel bearing at the wheel hub position. It was a huge pain in the ass. I took it for a test drive, and the stupid CV shaft popped out of the CV joint end immediately, and I didn't have time to look at it until now.

Photo of the CV boot deformed from the CV shaft poking into it:

IMG_20230511_230740_496.jpg

What it looks like when I removed the boot again:

IMG_20230511_230622_996.jpg IMG_20230511_230626_641.jpg

Now I have questions,

Why would a CV joint shaft pop out of the CV joint? How do I stop that from happening?

I can see what appears to be ball bearings inside of the wheel hub. Is my wheel bearing fucked again? (Photos below)

IMG_20230511_230938_687.jpg IMG_20230511_230939_580.jpg

I just want to drive this stupid truck again. It's been so long. Thanks for all the advice.

5. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

There should be a C-clip on the end of axle shaft that holds the cage on. I would guess that either it came off and is inside the joint, or it was not reinstalled.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  6. udidwht

udidwht Member

Correct. The snap ring wasn't installed. You can see the groove for it on the end of the CV axle.

7. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

The snap ring was installed. It fell out and was inside the boot.

I just tried to reinstall it. It looked fine at first (left image), and then it started bending when I tried to insert the shaft into the joint (right image).

received_1028885004754592.jpeg received_174597285245861.jpeg

Do they just sell these clips on their own without a complete CV kit? Is there a certain type that doesn't bend so much?

This is insane. How can a tiny piece of metal that easily bends be the only thing keeping this together? What a dogshit design.

8. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  9. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

I just ordered a 1992 Subaru Justy front/outer CV boot kit from Rock Auto, but I only need it for the clip. I also have an extra boot from an earlier kit that I thought I'd use but ended up replacing the whole joint end with a different kit, which came with another boot. So if anyone wants two CV boots that fit the front/outer CV axle on a Sambar that I'm probably never going to use, I can send them to you. Let me know.

10. udidwht

udidwht Member

These CV boot and joints are nothing like a VW bus (72-79). Given the lower quality aftermarket joints that are available (boots as well). I'd avoid tearing the shafts off and just clean the joints well while in situ then install 'S' boot kits. You can probably source a bolted 'S" boot kit from someone as well. This will save a lot of time and money. The joints can live a very, very, very long life if greased and boots kept on them.

Anyone know the boot band clamp sizes?

Anyone know of alternate boots that can be used?

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  11. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

The Subaru Justy circlip doesn't fit. It's too big. I tried to form it onto the end in the groove with heat from a propane torch and it had a ton of slack on the end, so I had to trim that, and it still gets bent and falls off when I try to reinsert the CV shaft into the joint.

Thinking about sourcing an entire CV joint at this point, which will be hundreds of dollars. I've wasted too many days on this.

If anyone is thinking about buying a Subaru Sambar and sees this post, maybe don't. Lol.

12. udidwht

udidwht Member

Rockford has available MINI992 available $61.58 available (front and rear outboard joints). Perhaps if they get enough inquiries they start making the others...

mini996 (front inner joints)

mini993 (rear inboard)

http://www.rockfordcv.com/

Last edited: May 25, 2023