1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Coil Springs

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by greg0187, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

I took Jigs advice, on my 89 Daihatsu hijet, with new struts out of UK, and new progressive springs from summit,(175-350) with the same set up on the front end, plow,winch, maybe not as heavy a bumper! With the new struts, and the new springs, witch are great, a slight challenge getting the spring compression tool out, when all together. I used small oak(hard wood) shims, so as not to mar the springs, and cylinders, to remove the tool! Once removed, Walla. It worked great. I am very happy with the end result. I used the original top mounting spring bushing hardware,(saving about $60.00 each side) just cleaning it up and undercoating it, before I mounted it to the new 2" lift I fabbed and installed on top of the strut. A lot of great info! Thanks guys!
    Limestone

2. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

Limestone, were those flat machined ends on those springs?

3. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Tech,
    I wouldn't say that they were machined. But as memory serves me, they looked like the were cut on a sheer to length, and then heated and formed, as a coil, and heat treated. So answering your question, the end was flat, with a slight crimp to it, if you will, that is caused by a sheer, and not flat smooth as being machined. I have seen bottoms of springs being flat machined, and these were not. I didn't see the need for it in my application. Everything went together the way it was supposed to. I was very happy with, Jigs, advice, and suggestion!
    Limestone

4. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

Nice, thanks for the feedback. Got a link to the springs by chance? Trying to determine which ones you ordered.

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

6. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

Yeah I saw those, but if you look at the diameter of the spring it’s substantially larger than the stock ones. Worried about losing tire clearance and I also read that you may have to bend the spring perch in order to accommodate the end of the springs.

7. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Tech,
    Summit racing, Qa1 coil springs 12ht 175/350. $59.95.00 Is what I used! I got this info from Jigs and Fixtures! On the forum, go to, New struts, Heavier Springs, under Daihatsu Hi Jet and read the really great info on this. It was very help full for me. I think you'll enjoy it! The springs fit like a glove!!! Good Luck, keep us posted!
    Limestone

8. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Tech,
    So FYI! With that parts info, and shipping to be considered. I actually saved a few bucks, getting the exact same springs from CarId. Free ship, and a $10.00 discount coupon, that my wife found. It's been a fun project that finding parts at a reasonable price can become challenging to say the least!
    Limestone

9. ttc

ttc Active Member

Look up your build on partsfan I have not had any issues finding parts. I only deal with Impex for parts out of japan

10. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

SO you actually went with the 12" length springs? Stock are around 10". I assume you gained some ride height? Any issue with those coils binding/bottoming out on compression?

11. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Tech,
    No. I am completely satisfied. Jigs and fixtures, did the same thing, and he was also happy. He is the one who gave me, the original info, that I forwarded to you!
    Limestone

12. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Tech,
    Go to "new struts? heavier springs? Or replace both?" On the forum. Very help full info! FYI, It was challenging, getting the new springs installed, on the new strits, and bolted in place with the nut on the top of the strut, shock, stud! Not impossible at all. Just get creative with your spring compression tool. I used a couple hardwood, oak wedges, to aid in help, removing the tool, after completion, of installing the springs. I am very happy with the results! Good luck!
    Limestone