1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Coil Springs

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by greg0187, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I took Jigs advice, on my 89 Daihatsu hijet, with new struts out of UK, and new progressive springs from summit,(175-350) with the same set up on the front end, plow,winch, maybe not as heavy a bumper! With the new struts, and the new springs, witch are great, a slight challenge getting the spring compression tool out, when all together. I used small oak(hard wood) shims, so as not to mar the springs, and cylinders, to remove the tool! Once removed, Walla. It worked great. I am very happy with the end result. I used the original top mounting spring bushing hardware,(saving about $60.00 each side) just cleaning it up and undercoating it, before I mounted it to the new 2" lift I fabbed and installed on top of the strut. A lot of great info! Thanks guys!
    Limestone

2. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

Limestone, were those flat machined ends on those springs?

3. Limestone

Tech,
    I wouldn't say that they were machined. But as memory serves me, they looked like the were cut on a sheer to length, and then heated and formed, as a coil, and heat treated. So answering your question, the end was flat, with a slight crimp to it, if you will, that is caused by a sheer, and not flat smooth as being machined. I have seen bottoms of springs being flat machined, and these were not. I didn't see the need for it in my application. Everything went together the way it was supposed to. I was very happy with, Jigs, advice, and suggestion!
    Limestone

4. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

Nice, thanks for the feedback. Got a link to the springs by chance? Trying to determine which ones you ordered.

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

6. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

Yeah I saw those, but if you look at the diameter of the spring it’s substantially larger than the stock ones. Worried about losing tire clearance and I also read that you may have to bend the spring perch in order to accommodate the end of the springs.

7. Limestone

Tech,
    Summit racing, Qa1 coil springs 12ht 175/350. $59.95.00 Is what I used! I got this info from Jigs and Fixtures! On the forum, go to, New struts, Heavier Springs, under Daihatsu Hi Jet and read the really great info on this. It was very help full for me. I think you'll enjoy it! The springs fit like a glove!!! Good Luck, keep us posted!
    Limestone

8. Limestone

Tech,
    So FYI! With that parts info, and shipping to be considered. I actually saved a few bucks, getting the exact same springs from CarId. Free ship, and a $10.00 discount coupon, that my wife found. It's been a fun project that finding parts at a reasonable price can become challenging to say the least!
    Limestone

9. ttc

ttc Active Member

Look up your build on partsfan I have not had any issues finding parts. I only deal with Impex for parts out of japan

10. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

SO you actually went with the 12" length springs? Stock are around 10". I assume you gained some ride height? Any issue with those coils binding/bottoming out on compression?

11. Limestone

Tech,
    No. I am completely satisfied. Jigs and fixtures, did the same thing, and he was also happy. He is the one who gave me, the original info, that I forwarded to you!
    Limestone

12. Limestone

Tech,
    Go to "new struts? heavier springs? Or replace both?" On the forum. Very help full info! FYI, It was challenging, getting the new springs installed, on the new strits, and bolted in place with the nut on the top of the strut, shock, stud! Not impossible at all. Just get creative with your spring compression tool. I used a couple hardwood, oak wedges, to aid in help, removing the tool, after completion, of installing the springs. I am very happy with the results! Good luck!
    Limestone

13. MyFirstMini1990s83p

MyFirstMini1990s83p New Member

Hello from Ohio. So I skipped the intro page and jumped to this one. Purchased my first mini in the form of a Daihatsu Hijet S83P dump. Many thanks to David at Duncan Imports in PA. Great selection and you can view the private collection if you are lucky while they process your purchase.

On with the ramble, sorry.

My truck bottoms out at every bump and just as bad would also top out at times. Literally a pogo-stick ride in a tin can. I weigh in at 225 and often have passengers of the same. Plus I plan to add a Jeep off-road bumber and winch combo of some sorts later. So the weight up front is only getting heavier.

For my truck I initially purchased and installed progressive springs, QA1-12HT17530, coilover springs, 175-350 lbs.in. rate in a 12 in. length and 2.5 in. inner diameter. I hesitated to purchase the struts as they too are expensive and I hoped I was reading the ride wrong. Well during the install of the 12 in. spring (stock removed was 10 in. uncompressed), I found the right strut could almost effortlessly be plunged and pulled. No resistance and no assistance to the shock. The left was far better and may even be good. I will replace both soon and maybe sell the left on ebay as well as the 12 in. spring.

WELL FOR ME THE 12 IN. WAS A HASSLE TO COMPRESS AND THE RIDE HARSH. At rest with myselft and a passenger in the truck the truck did not settle at all from being topped out. The front bumper is not installed yet but I could barely get the truck to settle even bouncing while hanging out the side with the door open. The ride of course produced no bottoming out, however that bang from topping out is not good either and a limiting strap would do nothing as the truck stays topped out. Only positive is the camber is not all that bad, slight \ - / and I gained 2.25 inches of height on the front.

The plan, I purchased today struts on Ebay from G&R Imports for $150 each and from Summit Racing QA1 10HT250 high travel coilover springs. 10 in. 250 lbs./in. rate and 2.5 in. inner diameter. Between the struts and the 250 lbs springs, I trust my setup will be much better for my purpose and easily handle the bumper and winch. My use will be primarily off road/gravel with minimal paved street. I am running supper digger 828 and they go where I go without the humming you get with dedicated off-road tires.

I will update once I receive and install the new setup

14. Kirk B

Kirk B New Member

Have to give my two cents in, first you can not get more height (lifted truck) from struts alone. struts are confine to only give what the lengh of the strut piston rod stroke is mine is 8" total. stock springs are about 10" giving a PRELOAD of 2 ". more spring length or heaver spring weight will give a harsh ride. 250lbs/in 2"preload = about 500lbs weight needed to move strut stroke. taller springs/heaver lb rate give more preload on the struts. i am not planning to put a plow on ( live southern az), or heavy front bumper. best to figure how much weight will be on the front and get correct springs. less wear on the front suspension assy. nicer ride too.
    mine are 10"/225lb springs on new struts.

15. MyFirstMini1990s83p

MyFirstMini1990s83p New Member

Absolutely Kirk B, well said. Knowing your trucks purpose and more importantly the weight on the suspension is critical to choosing the right combo of equipment. Additionally the importance of working struts cannot be over stated. I received and installed the new high travel springs 10-250 from summit along with new struts and the truck rides so well. With the new struts I really think I could have gone with 10-225 as mentioned previously by Kirk. But my bumper is heavy and the skid plate and winch is going to add some more weight.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  16. Limestone

Good points guys!
    Limestone

17. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

You can get the struts for the S80 series trucks out of England on eBay for less. Search for: kyb (633117, 633118), and set the search location to worldwide. They would probably work on the S100 series Hijets, if you are handy enough to figure out how to remount the brake lines. Going price with shipping for the pair is around $200, varies with vendor, and the the exchange rate.