1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Axle Lock Question

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Titan Mini Trucks, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Titan Mini Trucks

Titan Mini Trucks New Member

I have a problem I am trying to diagnose with one of my Suzuki's (mid 90's). The front axle is not locking when engaged in 4WD. The 4WD lever is engaged (hi or lo) and the drive shaft is spinning, but the 4WD indicator light is not on. The axle lock and diff lock lights show that they are engaged, but the front wheels do not pull. I noticed there are two electric/vacum solenoids and a free axle actuator (vacuum diaphram) mounted on the axle. I tested the "free axle actuator" and it had vacuum (sp), so I unplugged it and tested. There was no change.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Trying to figure out which area I should troubleshoot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff.

2. Big Country

Big Country New Member

Just for grins, reverse the vacuum hoses. I have had two Daihatsus come in with same symptoms. By freak chance I accidentally reversed one and it worked. Duplicated on the 2nd truck and it too worked.

Dumb luck is a good thing.

3. Titan Mini Trucks

I will try that for grins and giggles. I traced the line on one soleoid back to a manifold vacum source and the line for the other solenoid goes up to a bracket right under the seat and is dead (nothing attached) like it may be some sort of vent or something.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Jeff.

4. Big Country

Big Country New Member

Your Suzuki may be different since it is a manual 4X4. The Daihatsu's I was working on had two lines on the actuator. Both went to different electrical switches.

5. Titan Mini Trucks

Well, tested the actuator and it had vacuum when in 4WD, so I removed it and tested it. It worked. The problem is that the switch will not turn. I am going to pull the cover off of the differential tonight and see if I see anything. Anyone have any experience with this problem? I've never had to tear into one of these differentials, so I don't know what to expect.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

6. Fifer

Fifer New Member

Years later … I am having the same problem. Although I took the actuator off and found the bolt between the actuator and lever on differential was missing. I tried to move the lever by hand but it would not budge. Did you have that also?

Wonder what you found once you opened the diff up?