1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

freeing up some power

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by kioti2008, Jul 4, 2012.

1. kioti2008

kioti2008 Member

im thinking of converting my belt type fan to electric just wondering if it would free up enough power to be worth it i already have a clutch fan

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

it would free up some horsepower when the fan isn't needed..the parasitic draw of the clutched fan is using a bit of power even when freewheeling...the electric fan only adds draw to the alt. when the fan comes on

Trey 4x4 likes this.
  3. kioti2008

kioti2008 Member

yeh never thought of that prob not worth the money or work thanx fupa

4. chuddly

chuddly New Member

its a pretty common thing to do to 4cyl jeeps to free up some power. It does make a difference

5. Daner

Daner Member

The sensor went bad on my suzuki so I wired my fan to a switch. Now when I need power I just turn off the a/c and the fan and it feels like my power is doubled lol.

btw Welcome to the board chuddly! :cool:

6. bigtex

bigtex New Member

Just wondering ware did you get the hot wire to connect to the electric fan !!!!!!!!

7. Wedge

Wedge Member

I think fabricating a header would benefit these trucks.

8. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Headers are fairly easy to make. Ya need a bit of 1/4-5/16" plate to make the flanges. The tough part for most if us is actually bending the 1 1/4 pipe so it will fit right. Make sure to keep all pipes the same length. I've actually been thinking of doing this very thing and just running them into a stack like on an 18 wheeler Hahaha.