1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FNG

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JONATHAN HAMMONDS, Apr 28, 2023.

1. JONATHAN HAMMONDS

JONATHAN HAMMONDS New Member

Good morning guys. I am brand new to mini trucks. Just picked up a 1996 Suzuki carry, dd51t, bone stock. The owner apparently went cheap on it, meaning they ordered it without a radio and some other items, such as, the chains on the tailgate. Will be looking to draw from the knowledge base in here in the future.

2. kyrbz

kyrbz Member

Hello, I have the exact same truck. The radio that came in these trucks was an AM radio with built in speakers. After looking what AM stations were available locally, I quickly decided I needed to do something about this situation. I didn't want to spend a lot of money and didn't want to go through the hassle of installing speakers. That being the case, there's really only one stereo available that is a 1DIN radio with built in speakers. It's an easy install. The sound is OK and it's FM/Bluetooth. IMO its a little ugly. Pyle used to make a much nicer looking one, probably better sounding as well, but I couldn't find the Pyle radio anywhere. I watched a video on YouTube of someone else installing one which helped greatly mainly with some hidden screws that have to be removed. Here's a link to the one I used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2660371396...e87lZN9LnmPsrFpdo5p/DDGwhQ==|tkp:BFBM1qbIkPlh

In regard to chains, I've only seen one seller that has "Suzuki" chains in stock. Yokohama Motors in Japan has them but with shipping they become very expensive. You see Honda Acty chains cheap everywhere. I posted own this forum asking if there are any Acty owners that could measure the hole pattern on their truck to see if the Honda chains would fit on my Suzuki. I never got any replies. I ended up making a set with pieces I put together from hardware store.

3. JONATHAN HAMMONDS

Kyrbz, I have looked at radios there are some on Amazon as well. I am gonna need to buy an antenna, Inhave seen those for $45. The chains I just may not worry about. Did you have any problems with your truck idling rough once it warmed up? My truck ideas a little rough and there is some sluggishness once the accelerator is applied, but it goes on to run fine. I pulled the plugs they are black on the tips gonna need to change them. I have ordered vacuum lines to change them and the fuel canister is going to need to be replaced.

4. kyrbz

kyrbz Member

No rough idling on my truck. It does idle at a somewhat high RPM until the engine is warmed up. I don't want to jinx my luck, but my truck has run good from the day I got it. The only thing I've done is flush and clean the radiator, change all the fluids and air filter. I could tell by the Japanese service stickers on my truck it received regular maintenance and had been recently serviced prior to my purchase. The fluids seemed pretty fresh when I changed them but the air filter was surprisingly very dirty. The antenna was bent up on my truck when I got it. Mini4x4.ca in Canada sells the factory Suzuki antennas for $33. I've purchased from them several times and found them to be a good source for parts

https://mini4x4.ca/store/en/suzuki-...1998-p121/?search=suzuki&description=1&page=2

They also have air filters for $25.

https://mini4x4.ca/store/en/suzuki-...8-p77/?search=suzuki air filter&description=1

5. JONATHAN HAMMONDS

I will look them up, thanks again.

6. OhDeer

OhDeer Active Member Supporting Member

7. JONATHAN HAMMONDS

I will more than likely be doing the same. My truck did not come with a radio. I pulled the cover off yesterday and there was a plug at that location. I assume it was for the radio, as it ran from the same line as the cigarette lighter.