1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Float adjustment?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by jody, Nov 17, 2018.

1. jody

jody Member

Rebuilt carb on my 1993 HiJet s83p. Things worked good for a few days then carb was leaking fuel through the breather when running and then flood itself out. I've taken the carb out and tried to set the float as I though that might be my problem. Still having the same issue. Anyone help with the procedure to set the float? Could it be something else? Running an electric fuel pump 2-4 lbs pressure with a pressure regulator on it. Never gave me an issue before thought I should mention it.
    Thanks for your help.

Jody

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Could be your pressure regulator is going bad. This type of carb requires a very minimum of pressure to operate properly.

Fred

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Typically to set a float you tip the top of the carb upside down, so when the float hangs, it is in the up position, and use a piece of drill rod as a gauge, to set the clearance. My old Toyota had a 5-mm clearance. Haven’t done the hijet, but lacking instructions would use the 5-mm.

The other likely culprit is that you have a piece of crud in the seat, or the regulator is set too high.

4. jody

jody Member

Thanks. Got the float set and the unit running.

5. ttc

ttc Active Member

another thing to check is the charcoal canister. mine doesnt vent and builds enough pressure in the tank to force fuel into the carb when sitting