1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First vehicle purchase - Decisions and many questions about these little gems!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AnAzureFalcon, Mar 24, 2023.

1. AnAzureFalcon

AnAzureFalcon New Member

Hello! I'm AnAzureFalcon and I've been pretty interested in Kei trucks for a good little while now. I had discovered that there is a dealership somewhat close by that I can go and pick up one of these little machines.

Some background information - this would be my first vehicle that I'm gravitating towards, as they seems like inexpensive but hardy machines (to my knowledge). Given this, it will be my daily driver, going from home to work and vice-versa, doing some grocery shopping, and some light travel. I don't really intend on going onto freeways, interstates, or off-road. Only when necessary. I don't have any first hand experience with a manual transmission vehicle, which limits me to automatic unless I throw myself out to the wolves and risk breaking something. :confused:

I have done some research on what I want - I plan on getting an automatic transmission HiJet, though I do have multiple questions regarding this choice and I would like some input on things.
    The dealership is selling three of them in decent condition, two being '94 HiJets with 4WD, different interior conditions (both look great outside, one has seat tears and the climate control sticker is degrading) and mileages (33.6K vs 11.1K). The other choice is a '97 twincam 2WD with some miles on it (32.3K), but has a good exterior and interior.

Given my use case, what would the ideal choice be? What should be the first set of things I should do after I get one? When it comes down to manual vs automatic, I have heard some mixed reception regarding the latter, are there any concerns I should be aware about? How easy would it be for me to get a spare seat for one/where could I get seat covers? What is the top speed of a 3-speed Auto transmission? What about the ideal speed? How would a two-inch lift affect me in terms of performance and tire availability? What about parts availability regarding the HiJet models - will I be importing a lot of them or will some be available but difficult to find?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this and answer any potential questions I have. I really appreciate it! :D