1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First post, looking into kei trucks

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Japspec, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Japspec

Japspec Member

Hey everyone! This is my first post here. Decided to join the forum to search and get more information on these kei trucks. Would really love to get one, hadn't really thought about it seriously until a few months ago when I saw one out on the road by me. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and I will probably have a question or two before I commit on whether I decide to get a kei truck!

installater likes this.
  2. punimog

punimog Member

Welcome and good luck with your research.

3. ed nap

ed nap Member

Welcome to the group. They are a lot of fun. Lot's of knowledgeable friendly folks here on this site. Do you have an idea of what you want to use it for? Pickup truck, dump truck ,Van, etc? There are several makes and models to choose from. I have a '94 Suzuki Carry pick up truck. Probably one of the most popular models. Easy to work on, most spare parts are easy to come by, lots of users to ask questions from, etc. Use the search box and there are several places where people have already done comparisons of one make and model VS. the next one. Choose what best fits your needs. Keep us posted on whatever you finally choose.

4. Japspec

Japspec Member

Thanks guys! I'm mostly looking into getting one for a car parts getter/a temporary daily driver on my commute to work (about 15 miles). Basically like a small pick up truck. I've been looking into the Honda Acty or Suzuki Carry...definitely looking for a 5 speed after some research since my commute is mostly highway (non-interstate). Getting some mixed results on street legality in Pennsylvania though, unfortunately. :(

5. Robert J Litzinger

Robert J Litzinger New Member

Welcome to the group. I'm a newbie myself. After researching the legalities of these on Indiana roads and everyone telling me they are not street legal (when side-by-sides are), i finally went to the official Indiana.gov website and found it in black and white where they are 100%. I purchased a Subaru Sambar KS4 with 29,000 miles and i'm lovin it. I have seen several cops while on state roads and they just smile and wave. I still have people telling me they are illegal on state roads, and i'm receiving some jealousy from the side-by-side and golf cart crowd as they're not allowed on state roads or highways. A friend of mine just bought a $22,000 Polaris RZR a month ago and is already regretting it after i bought my Sube for a quarter of that. He's paying over 1.5k a year for insurance. I'm paying $188.

Proper paperwork is necessary when you go to register, meaning import docs and those kinds of things. I have a VA title coming soon in the mail, along with all the paperwork. The dealer said that will make it easier to register here (i hope).

Go to your official state of PA website and start digging. It will be there. Google it. Then go buy a mini. They're versatile, cheap, and a blast.

Ohkei Dohkei likes this.
  6. Japspec

Japspec Member

Thank you! Unfortunately, nothing comes up when digging around the PENNDOT website. Might have to dig deeper. I really do want one of these trucks for around town as a parts pickup truck or home improvement, etc truck because I'm just imagining how cool it would be to pull up somewhere to load up your little kei truck! Not to mention I have a bit of a love for small vehicles...I mean, I have a Miata and a Honda Grom, so its just natural. :D

Robert J Litzinger likes this.
  7. nicemyer

nicemyer New Member

8. Japspec

Japspec Member

Well thats a huge bummer. Why are they cracking down on these kei trucks all over the USA now? Thats ridiculous….it has to be because of all the oversized vehicles on the road today.

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The National Association of Motor Vehicle Registrars, sent out an updated version of their hate memo, about how unsafe they are, and they weren’t made for US roads, yatta yatta yatta.

I’ll believe the State has peoples safety at heart when they require helmets, leathers, and boots to ride a motor cycle. Only difference between kei class vehicles, and bikes, is the bikes have a lobby, tiny trucks don’t.

10. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Title/register in a friendly state like VA or NC

11. nicemyer

nicemyer New Member

Yet if I was still driving my 1989 Geo Metro, which had one less mirror, it'd be perfectly legal. I am, however, going to write my state Reps and Sens. Don't know if they'll be able to do much, but I will offer them a ride too so they know what it's like!
    Good point about the motor cycles.
    I honestly would be fine if they restricted them to roads 55 mph or less. She starts to smell a bit warm after a mile or so of 55mph+, and seems much happier at 45.

12. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

It took extensive lobbying in NC to get these things made legal for t he street. One importer was key in doing it, Mayberry Minitrucks in Mt. Airy NC. Maybe you can get some importers in your state to do the same?

13. nicemyer

nicemyer New Member

Hmm, I don't know of any major importers in the state. just one guy who does it as a side gig. I think most buyers here get them from NJ, NY, or OH, or individually like myself. Worth checking into though!