1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding and buying Mini Trucks/Vans

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Dmscar, May 27, 2017.

1. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

I'm new to the site and fairly new to Kei trucks and vans. The first one I saw must've been a chinese version about a year ago and ever since I've been researching how to make them legal here in Georgia, USA. I finally understand whats required to get them but I've been stumped on actually finding quality looking Kei trucks and even more impossible to find the vans without spending a bunch of money.

Am I just to assume a bunch of people with money are buying up all the good deals to sell them for a profit? Because I can't seem to find super clean trucks like I keep seeing people with and as much as I'd love a mini truck I don't think more than 6k for a 25 year old mini truck is worth it.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm going about this all wrong. Is there any particular way of finding clean mini trucks?

2. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Have you checked through local importer dealerships or just though previously used trucks such as craigslist? One in WA here sells the trucks between 4 and 5000. If anything, branch out to other states and check the prices there and see if they would be willing to get the truck shipped over. Or if you are willing to drive there yourself to trailer one home. My two cents. Good luck in your search!

3. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

Looking in other states is a good idea. I've looked on importers and Craigslist here in GA and not very much comes up.

I won't let it stop me from buying one I'll just branch out further like you mentioned.

I recall a video on YouTube of a guy buying a kei van over a thousand miles away. It was a very cool van too.

4. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

I saw that one of the local importers here in WA send a guy a Skyline to Ohio on a flatbed. They deal with anything but it is mostly full size cars and are called RHD Specialties. Another here is called SODO-Moto that deals with lots of kei cars but I am not sure how far he sends. A lot of his kei trucks are in the $4k to $6k range. I'm not sure how helpful WA would be for you or how far your branching out would be lol.

5. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

I honestly wouldn't mind buying one out of state if it was legal. I'd just drive it back on some back roads or trailer it.

I don't want to spend what some of those people are asking but granted it's because of all the work they did to get it here and titled so it makes sense.

I'm thinking about buying one through an auction and seeing if I can get one cheaply.

6. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Nice, good luck on that! Auction and it is still over in Japan? If you do, be sure to research on paperwork you would need to get for registration. There are a few good write-ups from those who had to do that.

7. Tom Smith

Tom Smith New Member

If you are looking mini truck service in your area then first of all you need to inquiry about hire rates minimum 2 to 3 service provider then you have to choose good option for you.

8. Wheelie

Wheelie Member

I bought mine from an importer in Lockhart TX. I paid $3995 for my 4x4 '95 carry w axle lock and only 7k miles on it. He did a Facetime walk around for me. His website is lonestarminitrucks.com his name is Glenn.

9. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Nipponway on Ebay has several Suzuki's on Ebay right now. He is a stand up guy and will answer questions and provide videos if you want and cannot get to see them yourself.. He does not deal in just KEI trucks and could probably help you out if you wanted something special though.

Garanin Corp occasionally has the Vans, and RightdriveUSA does also. Expect to pay more for a van because there is less market and they are more expensive in Japan.. Your best bet is to contact an exporter in Japan like Japan Partner or Pacific Coast JDM. Both of those companies are pretty well known. Your going to spend $500-$1000 for their services though..

As for costs, without a volume shipping discount of any kind, to pay the shipping, exporter, and the customs brokers, it's $3k plus taxes and duties to get pretty much any vehicle out of Japan.. Kei trucks are cheap, usually under $1k at auction. The only way to break away from that $3k shipping is to buy in bulk and get a container full. 7 KEI trucks fit in a container, or 4 regular cars. I would guess 5 KEI cars or vans would fit.. Keep in mind, the USA won't allow imports 24 years or newer into the country. You can bring some KEI trucks in declared as ATV's but it's best to stick to 25 years old or older because most states allow them on the road as vehicles

10. Mwilcox1956

Mwilcox1956 New Member

I am new to the Mini truck market and open to all information on what to look for in selecting a mini truck. I need one for my ranch and thought it would be better that an UTV. Are some models better then others. I live on the east side of the state and am looking for the best place to purchase one. Help please!

11. Wheelie

Wheelie Member

Suzuki and Diahatsu are the most popular with most available parts and easy to lift over other models from my research. Ive heard mitsubishis are ok as well. I have a 95 Suzuki Carry myself. Just expect it to need maintenance. As far sellers, be cautious of eBay sellers on bidding style auctions. I noticed one very popular one mentioned here bids up their own items after tracking the sales of them for over a month. I'd first try to find a seller near you and where you can go see them in person. Some are really rough. I was fortunate enough to find a seller in my state and he worked me a great deal on a low mileage unit and did a FaceTime walk around inside and out and even test drove it. I found him from a basic google search.

12. Mwilcox1956

Mwilcox1956 New Member

Tuskano, can you recommend some places in Washington to look for a good Mini Tuck? Thanks

13. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Probably Sodo Moto in your area. They are among the most well known. I bought my truck from the above " very popular " dealer and it's a good truck for the money. I can't complain about that. I bought it on a Buy It Now for $4,800 and of course had to pay sales tax. After all is said and done, he does not provide you with an original export ( PDF copy in email ) cert and the translation is not certified, but good enough for Customs. DMV does not like those 2 things and takes some BSing to get them to accept it... All in all, truck was good enough but his 'inspection sheet' was up rated over the original Auction sheet which I found in the glove box.. I probably wouldn't use him again. I think I would rather pay a good exporter to get one from Japan.. Because of the Shaken inspection, getting one fresh without a USA previous owner is a pretty good bet your going to get a decent truck and your going to get it cheaper than a dealer by $1-2k... These trucks are a few hundred at auction in Japan to about $1.5k for a gem.

14. Mwilcox1956

Mwilcox1956 New Member

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated, but brings up questions. How do you find a reputable exporter and were do you find places that have upgrades to put on the trucks? Thanks again

15. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Pacific Coast Auto, Japanese Classics ( Also Exports as well as US Dealership ) are 2 big well known exporters. Most of the Self imports enter the USA with those 2 companies. The benefit of Japanese classics is you would pick the car up from their dealer. Caveat to that is you will pay more

16. Mwilcox1956

Mwilcox1956 New Member

Thank you!

17. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Even though I have not physically been to SODO-Moto, I would highly recommend it. I have talked to the owner multiple times and he knows his stuff. Majority of their sales are on Craigslist and just through Facebook I think. This is their FB page. https://m.facebook.com/sodomotorwor...0MSwicG9zaXRpb24iOjAsInJlc3VsdF90eXBlIjoyNzR9

I know when I am back from deployment, I'll give them a visit. As for addons, you are welcome to ask them about those. They started up just a few months ago, so I am sure they are flexible on that. Just might have to source the parts elsewhere.

18. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

Just hit up auctions, I won my 97 super deluxe 4x4 sambar for a little over 5k all said and done with 40k km in brand New shape. Dealers or getting someone to import it for you always costs more