1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fender flares $5 hmmm

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by fupabox, Oct 29, 2009.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

NOTE!!! this is for the moment only a test..no mini truck was harmed in the making of these photos. Trying to find jeep fender flares like the ones aeroshots used but having no luck. Extreme cheapness led me to thinking about this..yes its foam pipe wrap cut in 1/3 . It was in no way cut precisely or attached with anything other than the wimpy tack glue that comes on it, pressed on and pulled off in 10 seconds.Double sided 3m trim tape would hold it on with no drilling etc.It was a whole 2 minutes of work just to check the possibilities..I realize it's not super strong but its fairly durable and tearing 1 would cost nothing to replace..maybe coating it with rubberized rocker guard spray to make it a tad bit tougher..I don't know just tossing the idea into the air. Thoughts? peels of laughter?banished from the Island?[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

2. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

NiCe

nice Vespa p series [P200E/PX150/125] in the background had a bunch of them and a whole bunch of fun, got a an indian clone now its a bajaj [​IMG]

3. fupabox

Good eye:) behind the 125 is a 1983 p200e .1952 lambretta ld125 in middle of restoring as well. The px125 is a screamer..177 malosi head and jug,delorto 30 carb ,polini pipe,race crank and ignition.around 30hp last test up from the 8hp stock..lifts the front wheel in all 4 gears and will almost hit 100mph..scary ride that blows itself up more often than not..right now it's in the rebuild stage after the last meltdown....no piston porting this time 20-25 hp will be fine and hopefully reliable. Nice Bajaj is it a newer 4 stroke or still a smoker?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  4. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Nice, used to go down the woods as a kid on a LD yeah on 8 inch wheels! When I used to live in England I went through quiet a few scoots including a Lammy GP 200 AF RaySpeed with TS1 kit on, vep T5 etc. The wife and I had a matched pair of P2’s with malosi kits, SiP rear fat tire kit, SiP expansion pipes from Germany and widened side panels/cowels to clear the offset engine all dressed in flat black… But the wife went down on the 118frwy in California at around 70mph and slid for a long time, so we switched em out for a pair of Bajaj’s 55mph flat out! “Yeah 4strokes its old age that breeds common sense”
    Got some Rally Patches from England if u are interested

Good eye behind the 125 is a 1983 p200e .1952 lambretta ld125 in middle of restoring as well. The px125 is a screamer..177 malosi head and jug,delorto 30 carb ,polini pipe,race crank and ignition.around 30hp last test up from the 8hp stock..lifts the front wheel in all 4 gears and will almost hit 100mph..scary ride that blows itself up more often than not..right now it's in the rebuild stage after the last meltdown....no piston porting this time 20-25 hp will be fine and hopefully reliable. Nice Bajaj is it a newer 4 stroke or still a smoker?

5. fupabox

Wow thats sweet!..you were into it if you were using the sip stuff,that stuff is wild ($$$$$ too) Hope the wife was okay in the fall..thats never good. I never ride highways anymore,people have too little respect for bikes/scoots,I sold my Yamaha FJ 1200 when I started having too many "holy sh#t" moments riding to work, also insurance in Canada is ridiculous. Had my class m since 1981 ,perfect 5 star drivers rating and the cheapest insurance I could get was $1000 for 6 months liability only.

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

check out www.virtualjeepclub.com - i'm a member there "doc in az". there are always people giving those away. i know i gave mine away - well, if memory serves i got some frosty beverages out of it ;)

7. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

back on topic, those look good, but it will most likely hold back moisture and dirt behind it and cause nightmares later lol

8. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

That may be the beginning of a custom fiberglass job. You could tape off the truck with some wide painter's tape. Then use fiberglass matt and two part resin to cover the foam. Once cured, remove the newly made fender and smooth with filler, sand and paint. For added strength, the underside facing the tire could be made with flashing for better rock protection.

9. fupabox

being foam rubber they may well hold a bit of water.That was 1 reason as well as a bit more durability,that I was pondering rubberized rocker panel spray as a coating.I wouldnt think the double sided foam tape would allow any more water to contact the body than it would in any other ways it's used on cars (emblems,rubber body mouldings etc.). As I said ,I haven't installed any just merely sliced a piece up with a dull xacto blade and temp. stuck it on to see how it looked. Shrimp daddy..The fibreglassing is a good idea and would be ridiculously easy and quick to do. Wonder if there is any industrial type rubber 1/4 round available out there somewhere..I'm looking for surface mount,no drill type solutions as we don't get the kindest winters around here...less body holes less chances for rust.
    Milt..stop giving away Vespas unless you send em up here:D

10. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Interesting how these lil trucks get you thinking. I saw two plastic bug guards for car hoods at dump last week and was trying to visualize how to use them for fender guards. I was in this same type of thinking 10 years ago when I started brewing beer. Every aluminum or stainless steel or hdpde plastic container looked like a potential vessel for mashing, boiling, or fermenting. The good things about the mini truck is you cant go up much in size. Unlike the brewing hobby which has drug me up to equipment for 35 gallon batches.

If the holes in the foam wrap would be spongy enough to soak up the fiberglass resin, maybe you could squeeze it and get it to soak in. 2 part resin can be cut with xylol to give it a lower viscosity and allow more working time if needed. Sounds messy, but the painters tape would shield from getting on truck. Then when setup you could hit it with bed liner. Tough on inside and still a bit rubbery to bounce the rocks off.

11. fupabox

OOOh I like that idea..i was dunking them to see how much water they soaked up,and they soaked up a little bit not a lot... but enough as you say to soak some resin into them..I'll test it this weekend and see if the resin melts them....