1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fan belt replacement

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jwetovick, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Just curious if anyone can tell me exactly how to change this out on a 95 mitsubishi. It looks very simple by just adjusting the belt tensioner but wanted to double check with someone before I go messin something up. Thanks

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I think you got the idea. can't really mess much up by changing the fan belt. Of course I've been wrong in the past. :D

3. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

The alternator has two bolts holding it. One is evident on the adjustment swing fitting (easy to see visually if you work from the drivers side, seat up of course...). Loosen this one first. The other bolt is up on the other side, kind of hidden and requires the deep socket w/ 3/8" drive rachet. Losen it second but only enough to be able to swing the alternator down and remove the old belt. Both bolts are different size, 10mm (first bolt) and 12mm (second) if I remember correctly. You need a light and will have to negotiate a tight space for the upper bolt putting the 3/8" rachet between the fan blades. New belt will stretch a bit after a day or so so be prepared to re-tension it to remove the stretch. You want some flex, 3-4mm but it is hard to over tension the belt so no problem.

4. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

thanks

Thanks alot for the info! Pretty basic and I figured it would be I just wanted some reassurance before I stepped in to the project. Shouldn't take long if I just get after it and do it. Spending too much time on other things lately. Need to get my priorities straight right? :) Thanks again

5. I just did one this weekend on a Mitsu with air and it only took me about 45 minutes. Like the previous post stated, just loosen the two bolts on the alternator, let it drop down and slip the new belt on. There are three #10 bolts holding the cooling fan in place which you'll need to remove to slip the new belt on but other than that it's a piece of cake. I got a new belt from napa, just a standard .5"x30" v-belt for 14.00. If it has AC you'll need to remove the compressor belt for the AC, that's just a tensioner at the bottom which is easy also.

6. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

thanks

Appreciate the info. Mine does have air so i'll take your advice on that. Looking foward to the project. Give me something to do some night this week hopefully. Thanks for the belt size too. I assume this would be the right size for my 95 mits?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. The part you need a Napa 4L300W

8. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Got to looking and I posted wrong. It's not the fan belt I need it's the belt furthest from the engine. A/c??? Looks like just a tensioner to loosen and sould come right off?? Thanks. Any idea what part number this is?

9. That makes it even easier, just look down between the two main pulleys and you'll see the tensioner. Should be a #14 nut, just loosen it, slip the new belt on and you're all set. I don't know what part # that belt is but NAPA should be able to find you one.

10. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Thanks

Thanks a lot. Easy as it can get! Off and il be getting a new belt Wednesday. Love when it's easy enough even I can do it. Looks like the other two belts are good for quite awhile yet. Boy that's a tight fit working around in there. Wouldn't trade this thing for nothin tho! Love it. Thanks for the help!!